Blade sharping.

/ Blade sharping. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I've always had a hard time getting my BX in the air high enough to take the blades off and sharpen them. I have a set of ramps and they get high enough, but not enough I can get an impact on the blade bolts. I can use a breaker bar but there is still barely enough room to get to the middle blade. It also seems these tractor are difficult to use a floor jack on, there just isn't any really good jacking points.

My solution, and it should have been obvious to me years ago, use the FEL. I but two or three pieces of lumber under it, put the bucket most of the way in dump, and lifted the front end up as high as I could. I then was able to put a floor jack under part of the frame to act as a back up in case the loader failer to hold the tractor up. Plenty of room under the deck this way to clean it or get at the blades.

/ Blade sharping. #2  
I suppose most of us have gone thru some methods to get at 'em. As of a year ago, I just change the blades with a sharp set at the end of each season when I take the MMM off for service and storage. The FEL and an outside heavy duty work bench serves that purpose. 001.JPG

Well............, last year I didn't get to it until spring.:D

/ Blade sharping. #3  
I find it easier to just take the deck off my GR2120 and stand it on end.It can be a bit tippy but not too bad if you are careful.It is almost the same as the fine cut deck for the BX series.

/ Blade sharping.
I used to take my deck off to sharpen the blades but that always took a lot of time.

/ Blade sharping. #5  
I take my deck off every December after the leaf bagging and before the snow moving. Then sharpen blades and put deck back on in the spring. I find the air wrench so much better than a long lever. Just makes abreeze of the job of removing blades.

/ Blade sharping.
I find I need to sharpen my blades at least once during the summer. I also found I can get an impact on it by lifting it with the end loader.

/ Blade sharping. #7  
It sounds like you are being safe, Dave. That is my priority anyway. Is it necessary to block the rear tires?

/ Blade sharping. #8  
My drive-over deck allows me to take the deck off in minutes. Then, I lift it with the loader to hang it in the air while I scrape the deck and sharpen blades. This is a spring job for me, but since I started using Meg-Mow blades, I haven't had a need to sharpen. There are four blades, yes four, per spindle.

https://www.meg-mo.com/

/ Blade sharping.
Probably a good idea to block the tires in back. I didn't but realize now I should have. When working on vehicles when on ramps, I block the rear tires.

/ Blade sharping. #10  
Here's how I do it. Pretty safe, easy and doesn't take much time!

Grasshopper mower, L2050 head 001.JPG