Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #1  

DanHen

Tractor
Kubota L47
back story, I ordered a toothbar with my L-47 TLB but somehow the salesman didn't get it ordered and there were none in stock when I picked the machine up. He was kind enough to give me a 72" non brand specific toothbar (no charge) that was in stock. It fits the bucket, however, it's designed to be used with a 3/4" cutting edge on the bottom of the bucket. Without the cutting edge it's sort of whopperjawed sitting in the bucket but would probably work. So far I can not find a bolt on cutting edge with the same hole pattern thats on my bucket, which seems to measure at 6-1/4" oc. Additionally the least expensive I've found is from Titan for about $150, and then I'd have to drill the holes myself. Not exactly looking forward to drilling through 3/4" hard steel....

So my question is, is there a better solution for the cutting edge, or should I nix that idea and just go with the Piranha I've read so much about? My machine is pretty heavy duty but it's only for use around my property and one of the main tasks will be clearing about 6 acres of scrub. No heavy duty construction jobs or serious digging.

Opinions appreciated, this seemingly simple problem is giving me fits.

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #2  
I put a bolt on tooth bar on my first tractor(about 8 years ago) and it fit perfectly. You will have to drill two 3/4" holes in the side of the bucket to attach. I have read good things about the Piranha tooth bar that seems better at cutting and digging than a plain tooth bar so I think that would be what I would get if I were buying another.
My current tractors dig plenty well with just a straight blade.

The tooth bar is nice when used to gather up limbs and such with the FEL without digging into the dirt so much or having the limbs slip under the bucket but I don't need to do that much any more so I wont invest in another bar.

Follow the instructions from the tooth bar manufacturer on measuring your bucket width and it should fit perfectly.

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #3  
back story, I ordered a toothbar with my L-47 TLB but somehow the salesman didn't get it ordered and there were none in stock when I picked the machine up. He was kind enough to give me a 72" non brand specific toothbar (no charge) that was in stock. It fits the bucket, however, it's designed to be used with a 3/4" cutting edge on the bottom of the bucket. Without the cutting edge it's sort of whopperjawed sitting in the bucket but would probably work. So far I can not find a bolt on cutting edge with the same hole pattern thats on my bucket, which seems to measure at 6-1/4" oc. Additionally the least expensive I've found is from Titan for about $150, and then I'd have to drill the holes myself. Not exactly looking forward to drilling through 3/4" hard steel....

So my question is, is there a better solution for the cutting edge, or should I nix that idea and just go with the Piranha I've read so much about? My machine is pretty heavy duty but it's only for use around my property and one of the main tasks will be clearing about 6 acres of scrub. No heavy duty construction jobs or serious digging.

Opinions appreciated, this seemingly simple problem is giving me fits.

I'd look at the RatchetRake before buying. It is great for brush cleaning and then for smoothing/leveling out cleared land to finish grade. The RR can be attached in a couple of minutes or less by one person and taken off quicker. It straps on and tightens down with no holes drilled. I wouldn't do without mine. Ratchet Rake

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #4  
My thoughts:
regular teeth are for digging. That's it.
Piranha improves digging, but only a limited amount. It is also great for protecting the bucket and bucket edge. Plus you can still backdrag. It is great for taking out brush going forward.
Ratchet rake is best for removing stuff like vines that nothing else can really do. Also good for smoothing plot size areas. Mostly used going in reverse.

Note: I've never used a Ratchet Rake, so I'm not speaking from experience there.

I vote for Piranha (always, it helps prolong bucket life) and Ratchet Rake if it will meet a need.

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #5  
Any local machine shop should be able to fix you up pretty good... they could also put a cutting edge on it. Also, might be reasonable price with no shipping (?) Just a thought.

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #6  
I have read good things about the Piranha tooth bar that seems better at cutting and digging than a plain tooth bar so I think that would be what I would get if I were buying another.

I have clay soil, and the Piranha made a day and night difference in digging ability.

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #7  
So my question is, is there a better solution for the cutting edge ? The main task will be clearing about 6 acres of scrub. No serious digging.

I'd look at the RatchetRake before buying. It is great for brush cleaning and then for smoothing/leveling out cleared land to finish grade. The RR can be attached in a couple of minutes or less by one person and taken off quicker. It straps on and tightens down with no holes drilled. I wouldn't do without mine. Ratchet Rake

For clearing brush, then collecting and piling the debris, a Ratchet Rake is the better bucket attachment. RR should be awesome on a heavy L47 TLB.

Some Tractor Supply stores stock Ratchet Rakes but inventory is sporadic. You can purchase a Ratchet Rake through the tractorbynet.com STORE, button at top of this page. T-B-N is an agent. RR will ship directly from RR to Ohio.

VIDEO: ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

However, you cannot DIG with a Ratchet Rake attached to your bucket. See photo.

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,576
Last edited:
   / Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #8  
I installed a Piranha tooth bar on my MX5200 a while after I bought it. Makes a big difference when digging, loading sand, dirt or mulch, and pulling roots and smaller trees. Have to use a shallow bucket angle when back-dragging with it though, for obvious reasons. Other than that, I love it.

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #9  
For clearing brush, then collecting and piling the debris, a Ratchet Rake is the better bucket attachment. RR should be awesome on a heavy L47 TLB.

Some Tractor Supply stores stock Ratchet Rakes but inventory is sporadic. You can purchase a Ratchet Rake through the tractorbynet.com STORE, button at top of this page. T-B-N is an agent. RR will ship directly from RR to Ohio.

VIDEO: ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

However, you cannot DIG with a Ratchet Rake attached to your bucket. See photo.

True and that's why I'm glad it's a one person quick and easy on and quick and easy off implement. It's not a digger. This is a great easy on/off digger Rip and Dig Bought a used one from a fellow TBNer last year and it's awesome!:thumbsup:

/ Heavy toothbar w/cutting edge vs. Piranha question from new owner #10  
Just get an extra cutting edge and add ESCO teeth.

Much cleaner in the end

Attachments

• Bucket Plow Botls2.jpg
    Bucket Plow Botls2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 536