Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I recently ordered an L6060HST. In going over the display model, I found there was no way to defeat the OEM seat safety switch. On my previous Kubotas, simply folding the seat forward would bypass the switch and allow PTO use when off the tractor. Neither the standard or optional air seat on the L6060 will fold forward. When I asked the dealer how I was going to use the PTO generator he just sold me, he looked around, scratched his head and made a couple of calls. Eventually, he said with a wink "You'll figure it out." Candidly, he told me he couldn't, for legal reasons, tell me to bypass the switch nor could he tell me how to do it. There are many stationary PTO powered implements out there. Is it possible Kubota overlooked this issue? I find it hard to believe they would design an expensive machine with this obvious flaw.

Grand L60 series tractors have been around for a few years now and the dealer and I could both be missing something here. I'm curious how other L60 owners handle this problem.

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #2  
Most of the equipment I have will let the engine run if the parking brake is set, is that the case on the L6060? Otherwise bypassing the seat switch should be straightforward.

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #3  
It can be done. I remember reading the procedure in my owner's manual but do not have the manual in front of me at this time.

I made a 5 minute effort to defeat the seat safety switch on mine without success. Simply unplugging the connector will not work, nor will shorting the switch out. Apparently, the computer looks for a make and break. Eventually, I want to defeat the switch on mine so that the engine does not shut down when I stand up (or even lean to the side to look over the top of the tire) while mowing.

Let us know when you figure it out.

SDT

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #4  
Curiosity got the best of me so I checked my manual. The procedure is on page 68.

Apply the parking brake. Tilt the seat forward (the spring suspension set on my ROPS L6060 tilts forward). Turn on PTO. Adjust throttle.

SDT

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #5  
I wrapped a section of Velcro around the seat switch, holding the switch closed. Velcro goes on easy, comes off easy.
Zip tie would probably work equally well.

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #6  
As far as I know the ROPS model Grand L still has the trick where you flip the seat forward. I have no idea about cab models though -- that's a much different seat setup and suspension. Surely Kubota would have kept some sort of way to do it. It's not like them to take a feature away from cab models.

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements
Curiosity got the best of me so I checked my manual. The procedure is on page 68.

Apply the parking brake. Tilt the seat forward (the spring suspension set on my ROPS L6060 tilts forward). Turn on PTO. Adjust throttle.

SDT

Thanks for the manual reference.

The standard spring seat on the L6060 open station ROPS model folds forward. The problem is, the optional air ride seat I ordered does not.

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #8  
I wrapped a section of Velcro around the seat switch, holding the switch closed. Velcro goes on easy, comes off easy.
Zip tie would probably work equally well.

IIRC, I tried shorting out the switch by holding it closed with a tie wrap. Didn't work on my L6060. I was told that the computer looks for a make/break sequence.

/ Using an L6060 With Stationary Implements #9  
IIRC, I tried shorting out the switch by holding it closed with a tie wrap. Didn't work on my L6060. I was told that the computer looks for a make/break sequence.

That's weird, I don't see how this "make/break" would work. If you're sitting on the seat when you turn the key on, and never leave the seat, the switch is always closed. So what is the computer looking for?