Worn Steering Linkage

/ Worn Steering Linkage #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
Hi all I have a 1995 L-2950 I bought used back in 2008 I think. Anyway I had a front tire I kept putting air in it but it finally got on my nerves enough that today I had the tube patched.
When I put the tire back on I noticed the sloppy linkage connection in the photo. The tie rod end has a ball on the far right end it and that goes into a socket affair that is attached to the hydraulic steering cylinder.
When I got this tractor there was the remnants of a rubber boot there. I took it upon myself to wrap the joint in a piece of inner tube and I tie wrapped it there. I think because of that the water that got into the joint had no way out and it caused it to go bad even sooner maybe? In any case I will have to get some replacement parts I guess.
My question is will I have to remove the ball joint end at the ]far left end of its connection point to replace the "ball end" of this rod,.. and the "socket" end where it attaches to the hydraulic cylinder? I know how confusing this must sound but with out the correct nomenclature its the best I could do. Thanks for your input and advice, Jeff DSCF0608.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0608.JPG
    DSCF0608.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 231
   / Worn Steering Linkage #2  
Yes you will.
When you receive the new ball-joint (It should come with rubber sleeve clipped on - if it doesn't, you have to order that too.) it will be obvious to you which parts need to be undone.
The lock-nut at the end of the threads on the left and the lock-nut on the end of the ram on the right of your photo.
:wrench:

/ Worn Steering Linkage
Thanks,.. what would you guess these parts will cost if you have any idea ?

/ Worn Steering Linkage #4  
Sorry, no idea from here. I'm in the other hemisphere. :drink:

Rubber boot shows at Messicks as $35 so allow a couple of hundred for the lot maybe? :confused3:

/ Worn Steering Linkage
Thanks I did not see your location,.. oh I am sure it will be ungodly expensive

/ Worn Steering Linkage #6  
Can't be as bad as a cat telehandler. I think $450. Boot isn't available separately, so I just let the boot joint fail and then replace the whole thing.

/ Worn Steering Linkage
I will go to the dealership today and see what they say.

/ Worn Steering Linkage
Well the dealer in Bangor wants $ 312.00 for the entire assembly which is including ball joint to the socket on the end of the hydraulic cylinder. So from the hub casting to cylinder is $312.00. I said I think my ball joint is fine, he said "well it may be but you need to remove it to change the other parts and by the time you get it out it will be destroyed."
I have never changed a ball joint I am aware that they make a " forked" ball joint tool to separate the joint from the housing . If I buy a fork tool can I get the joint out without destroying it? If so there is a sub assembly with all the parts I need except for the ball joint for $ 120.00.

I asked if it would be worth while to try to source parts form someone other than Kubota he well you can try you might have some luck? I asked him if he ordered the sub assembly for me but in the meantime I was able to source the parts elsewhere would that be an issue for him ,he said no probably not.

If I am able to get this apart without destroying the ball joint.... where would be a good bet to find the parts I need for less money than the dealership? Would the regular car parts places be able to help like Motor Supply or Car Quest?

/ Worn Steering Linkage #9  
He's sort-of correct, the seperation of the ball-joint tends to damage the rubber boot when you use the Fork tool. You can buy just the rubber boot I think.

If you're not in a hurry... Dismantle the rod-end etc. See what parts you actually need and then order them then.

You may not need a Ball-Joint and you may not need a Rubber Boot. Then again, you might.

$312 isn't too bad for all of it, in my opinion. Buy the genuine parts. You know they will fit correctly.

/ Worn Steering Linkage
actually all I really need is the ball and socket as I have called them in the photo. Not sure what they are really called. Wouldn't think those 2 parts would be too expensive if (a) I knew the correct part names and (b) could buy just them.