Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I've owned 5 Kubota tractors over the last 37 years but never had more than one at any given time. Mostly for financial reasons, I would trade the old machine in for a bigger, more powerful model. When I was younger, I thought nothing of swapping implements to do the task at hand. Now, I dread the thought of putting the backhoe on to do an hour or two of work. I can now appreciate why my father in law, who farmed 2000 acres in the Delaware valley, owned 8 tractors!

As a result, I have an L6060 on order which will be used for most of my work. I'm going to dedicate my 1 year old MX5800 to mostly backhoe and earth moving tasks. I put about 200 hours per year on a tractor consisting mostly of mowing, grading and brush hogging. I do an average of only 20 backhoe hours in a year so the MX5800 will see little use. The maintenance schedules in the various tractor manuals I've owned refer mostly to engine hours, not calendar time. Based on this, I might go 3 years between oil / filter changes on the MX. My machinery is kept indoors in an unheated garage and condensation has never been an issue.

The old rule of thumb for oil changes on low mileage automobiles was once per year. Modern synthetic and synthetic blend lubricants have a much longer lifespan but oil change recommendations seem to vary greatly. I'm curious how do other low use tractor owners here handle their maintenance? Since I've always taken good care of my Kubotas, any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #2  
I use my 2009 M6040 about 75 hours per year. I change engine oil and filter annually. Hydraulic/transmission oil is changed based upon engine hours as recommended by Kubota. I change both inner/outer air filters annually. I've owned two tractors in the 35 years here and this is the way I've always serviced them.

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #3  
I use my 2009 M6040 about 75 hours per year. I change engine oil and filter annually. Hydraulic/transmission oil is changed based upon engine hours as recommended by Kubota. I change both inner/outer air filters annually. I've owned two tractors in the 35 years here and this is the way I've always serviced them.

Why do you feel it necessary to change the hydraulic filters every year? I have a low hour Kubota and don't do that. I want to do right by my tractor. Just curious.

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #4  
Jerry - you are reading something into my statement that isn't there. Engine oil and engine oil filter are changed annually. Hydraulic filter will be changed at 300 hours and hydraulic oil @ 600 hours - - as recommended by Kubota, in my owners manual.

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #5  
Jerry - you are reading something into my statement that isn't there. Engine oil and engine oil filter are changed annually. Hydraulic filter will be changed at 300 hours and hydraulic oil @ 600 hours - - as recommended by Kubota, in my owners manual.

Oh ok. I thought you meant you changed hydraulic filters annually.

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #6  
The annual engine oil change is because of the acids and moisture that can build in your crankcase. These are a result of combustion (blowby getting in crankcase). An engine that regularly reaches operating temperature will burn that junk off.

A hydraulic system does not have the same contamination problems as a gas or diesel engine.

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #7  
I've owned 5 Kubota tractors over the last 37 years but never had more than one at any given time. Mostly for financial reasons, I would trade the old machine in for a bigger, more powerful model. When I was younger, I thought nothing of swapping implements to do the task at hand. Now, I dread the thought of putting the backhoe on to do an hour or two of work. I can now appreciate why my father in law, who farmed 2000 acres in the Delaware valley, owned 8 tractors!

As a result, I have an L6060 on order which will be used for most of my work. I'm going to dedicate my 1 year old MX5800 to mostly backhoe and earth moving tasks. I put about 200 hours per year on a tractor consisting mostly of mowing, grading and brush hogging. I do an average of only 20 backhoe hours in a year so the MX5800 will see little use. The maintenance schedules in the various tractor manuals I've owned refer mostly to engine hours, not calendar time. Based on this, I might go 3 years between oil / filter changes on the MX. My machinery is kept indoors in an unheated garage and condensation has never been an issue.

The old rule of thumb for oil changes on low mileage automobiles was once per year. Modern synthetic and synthetic blend lubricants have a much longer lifespan but oil change recommendations seem to vary greatly. I'm curious how do other low use tractor owners here handle their maintenance? Since I've always taken good care of my Kubotas, any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

For ME...... AGE is the primary issue here.
AGE of the owner.....not the tractor!
I am 76 years old, and have three old Fords, 1951, 1970, 1989. All are in pristine, or nearly pristine condition.
The 1951 is obviously an 8N, (200 hours on rebuilt engine) and I may not use it at all in any particular year. I change oil when I feel like it!
The 1970 is a 3400 TLB.(gas - 1850 total hours) I use it maybe 10 hours each year, and I change oil, every 2nd or 3rd year.
The 1989 is a 1920 FEL. (1057 hours) I use it maybe 10 hours each year, and I change oil every 2nd or 3rd year.
All are stored inside a dry, unheated building, with concrete floor, at all times.
Why do I have 3 tractors? Because I like to occasionally play with tractors, and I do not like to swap attachments!
Why such low usage? Because I divide my time between 3 locations, differing by more than 1000 miles (all 3 tractors are at one location).
As above: I am well on my way to being 77 years old!
I am not willing to change oil, just for the sake of changing oil.
All 3 of those tractors have more life left in them, than I do in me!

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #8  
Don't forget the coolant. It breaks down over time and I change it every two years as Kubota recommends for my M7040 bought new in 2012 and now with 300 hours on it.

I pay attention to front axle lube changes as the repair costs of those components are serious $$.

Dave M7040

/ Maintenance On Low Use Kubota Tractors #9  
Don't forget the coolant. It breaks down over time and I change it every two years as Kubota recommends for my M7040 bought new in 2012 and now with 300 hours on it.

I pay attention to front axle lube changes as the repair costs of those components are serious $$.

Dave M7040

Excellent point. Many guys forget the coolant and it's equally important to oil. Sludge can build up in the block and block passages and cause unequal heating and cooling f the engine. A mechanic once told me that he thought as many engines were ruined by bad coolant as bad oil.

On the low hour maintenance for me, I use synthetic oil and change it every other year. Hydraulic oil and filers maybe every five years. For my low hours that's more than sufficient for this mild climate. Air filters are changed more often but since I have filters on my bulk fuel tank, I don't change tractor fuel filters very often. This is more than sufficient.