L6060 Ground Clearance Questions

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I have an L6060 on order and I'm considering the mid PTO option. Since I use the tractor on uneven ground and in the woods, I'm concerned about damage. I don't plan to mow with a mid mount mower but I'd like the option to use powered front mount implements in the future. Does a mid PTO gearbox reduce ground clearance and is it easily damaged by running over debris?

Also, the L6060 is the first tractor I've owned with a belly mount fuel tank. In examining the floor model at the dealer, the tank is made of plastic and is protected by a thin steel skid plate. It seems to me it would be easily damaged by a rock or log. The 6060 has been around for a few years now and I haven't seen any complaints here about ruptured fuel tanks. I'd appreciate any thoughts others here can offer.

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #2  
The mid PTO does decrease ground clearance a bit but it is robust and not easily damaged.

Of much more concern are the hydraulic hoses for the optional third function valve. These are badly exposed and very easily damaged when operating in areas with obstacles.

Fuel tank damage is also a potential issue but nominal common sense should prevent issues.

SDT

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #3  
I have not had a problem with either the fuel tank nor hydraulic hoses since tractor arrived during January 2013.

When using Rotary Cutter in Florida jungle, twice have had HST wires pulled off HST solenoid by brush. I now have this area under tractor protected with heavy expanded metal screens, with edges taped with Gorilla tape. Screens bolt on easily; 20" x 22" coverage on my L3560. Expanded steel comes in 24" X 24" sheets.

I buy expanded steel from Zorro on eBay. Expanded steel in hardware stores is not heavy enough gauge for tractor armor. The heaviest gauge expanded steel has 1" openings. Mount two pieces, one on top of the other, at 90 degree angles, if you think necessary to reduce diamond 'holes'.
expanded steel sheet 24" X 24" in Business and Industrial Supplies | eBay

I have had tractors with top fill fuel tanks and now the Grand L with side fill. Side fill is much more convenient, less tiring to use with five gallon fuel cans. At age 70, unwise to work with awkward loads, high up; fall probability too high.

bdhsfz6: Quite a tractor history~~~~~~
I hope you will post comparing MX5800 to L6060. I maintain both use the same base chassis and base engine block. Others disagree with me. I have always been happy with the money I spent for the Grand, having owned Spartan tractors in the past.

Last edited:
   / L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #4  
Looking back when I bought my 5240 I now wish I got the mid pto. I don't need it yet but maybe one day. I'm sure it can be added later but it's nice having it done up front.

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #5  
The mid PTO does decrease ground clearance a bit but it is robust and not easily damaged.

Of much more concern are the hydraulic hoses for the optional third function valve. These are badly exposed and very easily damaged when operating in areas with obstacles.

Fuel tank damage is also a potential issue but nominal common sense should prevent issues.

SDT
I concur on hoses. I was thinking they were for my 3rd function, but they run to the rear, so not sure if they are rear spool related or if those are up front too & it's 3pt hoses. Debating re-routing them on my L4060. I might be able to get them over some of those support brackets but I'm worying about chafing & running from pressure points then. Those 2 hoses are the lowest hanging parts under my machine.

No mid PTO so I can't comment on that.

ba1af60b00fc0de43f235ffa0519b443.jpg
9307796bb7e67f3fe57be77ab9590088.jpg

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions
Looking back when I bought my 5240 I now wish I got the mid pto. I don't need it yet but maybe one day. I'm sure it can be added later but it's nice having it done up front.

The dealer gave me a quote of $550 installed for the mid PTO. He said I could probably get a better price on a package deal with a front mount implement though. Not having a need for one at present, I decided to wait. This seems odd to me but the dealer also said a L6060 could not be equipped with a belly mower due to the frame design. If true, that makes the mid PTO a little less useful IMO.

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #7  
I concur on hoses. I was thinking they were for my 3rd function, but they run to the rear, so not sure if they are rear spool related or if those are up front too & it's 3pt hoses. Debating re-routing them on my L4060. I might be able to get them over some of those support brackets but I'm worying about chafing & running from pressure points then. Those 2 hoses are the lowest hanging parts under my machine.

No mid PTO so I can't comment on that.

ba1af60b00fc0de43f235ffa0519b443.jpg
9307796bb7e67f3fe57be77ab9590088.jpg

The hoses in the lower photo are third function valve hoses. They are VERY vulnerable to damage.

SDT

/ L6060 Ground Clearance Questions #8  
The dealer gave me a quote of $550 installed for the mid PTO. He said I could probably get a better price on a package deal with a front mount implement though. Not having a need for one at present, I decided to wait. This seems odd to me but the dealer also said a L6060 could not be equipped with a belly mower due to the frame design. If true, that makes the mid PTO a little less useful IMO.

I don't own one but my thought is this a larger tractor than I hardly ever see with a mid-mount mower. Dealer is probably right they do not offer one. The Kubota "build your own" web feature does not offer one. Probably the only use you would have for the mid-PTO would be a front snowblower. With the mid-PTO being a dealer installed option, seems to me you could wait and see if you really have use for it, understanding that if you do you will have to pay for a dealer-install at that time. I have a couple of smaller B2150's both with mid-PTOs and, yes, it hangs down a couple of inches but that has never been a problem over a wide variety of rough stuff. Would not worry about that. More a question of whether you really need it or not.