BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
I couldn't think of a better header...
So - I have that equipment and some ?'s!

1. For various positions... Why on earth did Kubota supply, for some of the clevis pins, those snap rings?

2. For my mower...
Why do they spec the front of the mower to be lower?
(Almost counter intuitive...)

3. I did set it up by the book, and yet...
Why is my middle cut bad? (Blades sharpened and installed just like others.)

4. I came by this mower 2nd hand. The assembly book shows a bolt in the deflector near the spring - as though a catch for one end. The parts book shows a see through spot in the deck as though the bolt goes through both and thus limits the spring that limits the deflector. Should the bolt go through the deck and deflector as per parts book or just the deflector as a spring stop?

5. For both mower and bagger....
When I reseal and service should I 'set up' these small gearboxes like a rear end set (shim to set pinions depths for minimal play, position on other gear, etc.)?

THX for any help

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #2  
For number 2, every one of the mowers we sell has the front of the mower lower!!! I'll ask you to think a bit, if it was higher every time the blade went around it would be cutting all the way around even in the back!!! Where is you grass exit? So you want it to move the grass clippings to the front while traveling at 5 mph as well? How much horsepower and fuel will be burned if the blades had to cut in the full circle vs if it was cut once instead of continual? When the grass is cut in the front it is a straight shot out the discharge!!!

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #3  
Is the middle blade mounted upside down by chance?

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #4  
I dont know how anybody could put on a set of blades and have one flipped.
If that is the case, then they shouldnt be workin on it to start with.

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #5  
1. For various positions... Why on earth did Kubota supply, for some of the clevis pins, those snap rings?

I presume you are speaking to RING COTTERS. RING COTTERS are used because brush will not pull them out.
Grease them lightly. Have the pin positioned so there is not friction against the RING COTTER and they remove easily, with experience.

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #6  
1. For various positions... Why on earth did Kubota supply, for some of the clevis pins, those snap rings? you are not really referring to the snap rings .. but the keyrings like? if so -- i dunno i replaced all of mine with hairpins clips

2. For my mower...
Why do they spec the front of the mower to be lower?
(Almost counter intuitive...)
normal -- cut better.
3. I did set it up by the book, and yet...
Why is my middle cut bad? (Blades sharpened and installed just like others.) good question. i am not sure -- the middle has no way of moving it up and down unless you remove the gearbox. did you go thru all of the bolts holding the mandrel on the outsides yet? mine lost couple bolts one summer on the left side.

4. I came by this mower 2nd hand. The assembly book shows a bolt in the deflector near the spring - as though a catch for one end. The parts book shows a see through spot in the deck as though the bolt goes through both and thus limits the spring that limits the deflector. Should the bolt go through the deck and deflector as per parts book or just the deflector as a spring stop?
i am not entirely sure what you men -- take a pic of this and i can compare it with mine.

5. For both mower and bagger....
When I reseal and service should I 'set up' these small gearboxes like a rear end set (shim to set pinions depths for minimal play, position on other gear, etc.)?
i dont know - dont have bagger on these bx's

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s
Well, let's see...

1 Jeff - I'll almost agree. I do have 2nd hand gear, mostly virginal, but not guaranteed.
SO I went back and looked at the books.

I have/had Ring Cotters in 4 locations:

Mower Lift Links - OK, in weed flow, but also never removed by me in service, so why not just cotters?
Lift Rod (Uppers) - NOT IN WEED FLOW, first I replaced as I always work in gloves since I got elderly skin

Wheel Gauge Pins - OK, in weed flow, replaced, these are what initially got me, as misreading user book I thought I should adjust for each setting

Stand Pins - OK, in weed flow, replaced also as used every time

I couldn't (and wouldn't want to) start any ring in gloves, and certainly not with these weak nails either.
SO I'll buy your premise except for the 3 point lift rods uppers - they're just too high for the premise.
(Hard to imagine that the rings are a feature!)

3 nie and Pa - I assure you I'm very **** about checking my work (marking sides, washer order and such) but I went back and checked again JIC. All blades are the same. The middle blade does seem to have lost it's fresh edge quicker than the others(?). When I mow I can see my tire paths, the other 2 blades' work, and the middle blade seems to leave grass as though it cut higher only on it's left side - also where that under deck plate is (?, but any such anomaly should apply to left blade too). We're dormant right now so no new cutting.

radio - gearbox looks stable, equilateral, but will check stays and under-holder next JIC. Good thought, my brain went to blade and such not blade support.

4 radio again - I cut a pic from parts book, I don't know where in post it will be! Part 50, mine is too short. (Also deck hole is slotted by some process.) Mower Discharge.jpg

THX all!

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #8  
How much horsepower and fuel will be burned if the blades had to cut in the full circle vs if it was cut once instead of continual?

Actually - it would be exactly the same. Conservation of energy, and all...

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s
2 art(!!!), radio, and Jay
I found a link that made sense to me. A bit down is a Deere response. The part that spoke to me was "to make "mush"". My yard-by-a-thousand-cuts premise would surely led to the mush they speak of in the 2nd section. A low front (and going forward) is 1 and done.

https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/lawnmower-pitch-question.316557/

Jay - I would also bet there is an increased drag from touching, bruising that alters your formula.

THX all!

/ BX23, RCK54-22BX, GCK60-BX ?'s #10  
makes sense -- ew word today ...grass mush!