Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
BX23 - BT600
I want to be able to park between cars this winter (and also be able to sleep).
The 'feet' on this model flip around quite a bit - too much to trust just a chain hook.
And the 2 feet areas do not line up straight as the operator's station in in the way - so no single bar, pipe, etc..

So, my best plan so far....
2 x 3/16 welded SS chain on the upper station cover bolts (washers, double nuts, etc.), 1 1/2 feet over to 3/16 SS quick clips.
1/4 SS eyebolts with double nuts into 'foot' pins that currently have large split pins.

Any better thinking out there?
I think a single error would eat up a deductible real quick....

THX

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design #2  
BX23 - BT600
I want to be able to park between cars this winter (and also be able to sleep).
The 'feet' on this model flip around quite a bit - too much to trust just a chain hook.
And the 2 feet areas do not line up straight as the operator's station in in the way - so no single bar, pipe, etc..

So, my best plan so far....
2 x 3/16 welded SS chain on the upper station cover bolts (washers, double nuts, etc.), 1 1/2 feet over to 3/16 SS quick clips.
1/4 SS eyebolts with double nuts into 'foot' pins that currently have large split pins.

Any better thinking out there?
I think a single error would eat up a deductible real quick....

THX

I've had to do with with other machinery such as lifts that have hydraulic outriggers that are prone to leak down or if the machine don't want to restart.

If I don't plan on using the machine for a while, I pop the pins on the outriggers out of each hydraulic cylinder, respectively, and then use a small set of ratchet straps on each outrigger to hold it in place. You can replace the cotter pins with equal sized clevis pins to aide in quicker removal.

On the other hand, I wouldn't think those outriggers would weigh too much. I can easily lift the outriggers on my Genie Lift TMZ 30/50 when they are removed from the cylinders. They actually don't weigh a lot when mounted on the machine to flip them up in place.

So you could probably just hog tie them with a heavy duty ratchet strap or two on the ROPS to hold them there without popping the pins and removing them from the cylinders.

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design #3  
Here's a +1 for the ratchet straps. When I remove the backhoe from my GC1720, the elongated (by mfr) pin holes allow a wider spread upon leakdown (during long term storage) than I wish to navigate around so after I detach and set the backhow down, I ratchet strap the feet to each other (don't have the same interference issue).

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design #4  
I use a piece of 3/8 chain run around the foot pivot pins and hooked back on itself. It's strong enough to hold the stabilizers in place even when trying to lower them hydraulically.

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design
Appreciate all replies.
I have stayed with my original plan, so far, because....
I want a dual, independent solution JIC - my space is that close!
I thought real hard about wrapping that lower pin support, but it gets so dirt engrained, I thought dirt would shorten life of webbing.
My high mount for chain would be very visible, yet chains should not drag on station floor.

Hoping for pics later today.
THX

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design #6  
Embarrassed to admit this, but: 3/8 nylon 3-strand. Loop w/bowline one one end, loop and a couple half-hitches on the other. Works perfectly :)

Z.

/ Stabilizer/Outrigger Leak Down Protection Design
Ya know, I learned a bowline knot in scouts near 50 years ago, and it's still my go to knot. I've pulled / guided some big *** trees, and still got the knot untied. I have a master's degree much less useful...