Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp?

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #1  

Rutcutter

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 4wd w/LA1055 Loader/ Rear Top and Tilt
Guys i've looked and there the exact same turbo engines. Is it just the ECM that's different or something else?
Post up some pictures so we can compare the intake's of the 2 as I'm curious on how Kubota is making the extra Hp.

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #2  
I believe that other than the turbo, all the way back to the 4060 is the same engine. I would imagine that between turbo and computer controls they are incrementally increasing the hp.

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #3  
It's just tuning and timing.

Same way you can put a chip or flash the ecm on a diesel truck and add up to150-200hp

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #4  
Probably with some increase in cooling capacity.

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #5  
The L5460 and L6060 do appear to be the same tractor. Not sure why the $2K price difference if the extra 6 hp comes from just tuning. Maybe someone will come up with a "hack" to convert the 5460.

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #6  
Guys i've looked and there the exact same turbo engines. Is it just the ECM that's different or something else?
Post up some pictures so we can compare the intake's of the 2 as I'm curious on how Kubota is making the extra Hp.

It's tuning.

The price difference (more than $2K) is for the Tier IV nonsense.

SDT

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #7  
It's tuning.

The price difference (more than $2K) is for the Tier IV nonsense.

SDT

I thought the price difference was "because they could". Why does Tier IV come into play? Aren't both models Tier IV?

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #8  
This topic comes up all the time. And never fails people always seem surprised.

It's nothing more than because they "can". If you want the power, pay up.

If you don't want to pay up, how much is is going to cost you for a Turner (not that I know of anyone that makes one), how much is your voided warranty going to cost you, and how much is it going to hurt the resale value. (Most people I know shy away from diesel trucks that some "Billy Bob" put a chip in to "roll coal".

This happens all the way from 20-30hp scut tractors all the way up to 400+ hp ag tractors.

Nothing at all new.

/ Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #9  
We have a mostly free market in the USA for tractors and other goods.

Suppliers can charge what prices they wish, to be profitable for their workers, distributors and shareholders.

Consumers have a wide choice between brands and within brands, with considerable variation in prices.

Kubota has around 45% market share in non-ag tractors, so more US consumers are satisfied with Kubota's products and prices than competing brands.

L6060 is a Grand L. The idea that a super-premium tractor should be sold at less than a super-premium price is against everything I learned in Economics 101, fifty years ago.

You can buy a turbo-equipped utilitarian MX for less money and have the same tractor weight and nearly the same horsepower at a much lower price. But not the amenities. ((Consumers have a wide choice between brands and within brands, with different prices.))

Here is Kubota's stock price:

KUBOTA CORP ADR (KUBTY) 08/04/2017:
$93.20 +3.05 (+3.38%) ONE DAY
+6.11% ONE MONTH +14.21% THREE MONTHS +30.19% ONE YEAR

Consider buying Kubota stock as well as a tractor. Maybe buy Kubota stock and forget the tractor.

(I do not own stock in Kubota.)

Last edited:
   / Grand L 5460 vs 6060 Hp? #10  
The price is what the market will bear. And competition IMO is why there are so many choices.

Yes, a 5460 and 6060 tractors are identical. With the exception of a few zeros and ones in the computer that run it.

Does it cost Kubota more to make the 6060....no. but does that mean they should charge the same?

Again, market sets price. And I am betting Kubota sells a similar number of both.

Why have both models you ask?

What if someone was looking to a mid 50 hp tractor. And comparing to other brands. They would overlook the 6060....because.....well....since it's a 60hp tractor it's bigger right?

And if you throw the 6060 into the mix when comparing, then you have to compare other 60hp tractors as well and he whole game changes again.

And the 6060 uses more fuel. So that may be a consideration for some.

As consumers, all these options are a good thing. Even though the difference between 2 or 3 models may only be some ones and zeros and the price.