Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I just got my new B2650. I was clearing out the side yard of weeds and little trees. There were some really small stumps sticking up about a foot or so. They were maybe an inch or so wide. I backed up over them and heard a noise. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I could smell something. I figured it was the newness of the tractor after working for a while. Then I looked on the ground and saw some oil. I park the tractor for the night and the next day I saw a small puddle of oil on the garage floor underneath the back of the tractor under the seat area. I crawled underneath and I could see the bottom was a little wet with a extremely slow drip. I also noticed one of the UDT filters had a small dent in the side like something smacked it. I wiped everything down and checked the UDT fluid and it was low. I had to add maybe a pint. I crawled back under later and that drip came back. The UDT filter is tight, but on the inside of the filter close to the transmission was a little wet again.

I'm wondering if the oil filter seal got damaged when the tree stump hit it. The filter is still very tight, but is it possible that the seal got damage or possibly the filter where it mates up to the transmission is not true now? I can't see where oil is leaking anywhere else.

I am going to replace the filter since that is all I can think of where it could be leaking, but how can I change the filter without losing any UDT fluid? I thought about the vacuum trick, but wasn't sure how well that worked. Also, I cannot find the oil filter part number in my manual, so I have to find out the part number to order the new filter if that is what is causing the problem. I can't see what else it could be.

The first picture is the oil filter where it mates with the tranny.

The second picture is the small puddle of oil.

The third picture is where you can see the drip on the bottom left of the picture. You can see the oil filter in question in the top right of this picture.

The fourth picture is the filter. You can make out the dent on the bottom of the filter.

oil1.PNGoil2.PNGoil3.PNGoil4.PNG

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #2  
It could be possible. Although, I've hit stuff with my oil filter and never had an oil leak. It wouldn't be too much work to change it out and see if that addresses the issue. The KPN for the filter is: HH660-36060

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #3  
Are you sure fluid isn't coming from loader controls or hoses?

Take at easy with your new machine. Tractors aren't bulldozers and there's a lot of bits that can be damaged with sticks, stumps, etc. (0:

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #4  
honestly -- i dont think saving every drop you can of sudt is worth the trouble. i think you really need to drain it and then take filter off. you should be inspecting the filter spin on spindle to make sure its not bent or cracked and doing it with udt dripping out will not be a fun job. if you are lucky- then hopefully a new filter will take care of the leak. its nearly a 20k machine , and i know its gut wrenching to hurt it so new - but taking the time and spending the money now will ensure bx will last your lifetime.

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking
Is that spindle is damage, is it a replaceable part?

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #6  
You could try all the tricks to minimize oil loss, such as parking sideways on an incline with filter uphill, plugging the breather(s), or using shop vac, but those are mainly for quick filter swaps. In this case you need to make a serious inspection, so they may just help slow or minimize how much oil you lose and have to refill. Your call whether it's simpler to just drain it all ahead of time.

With any luck it's just damage to the filter body, seam, or mating surface, but you may have damaged the filter mount which can get more complicated. Normally the center nipple is replaceable. Not sure about the rest of the housing. Look it over carefully for cracks or other damage.

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #7  
One of my big complaints about modern tractors is all the "stuff" that hangs down underneath including hoses, filters, fuel tanks and control rods. Most older tractors over 30 years old have none of this underneath and are bullet proof when driving over rough terrain or in brush/woods areas. The newer tractors not so much so.

It is very hard to see under there. I was going to try the simple thing and change the filter and see if the issue goes away. If it doesn't, I do have the Kubota insurance which should cover the issue. I may need to let the garage fix it just to be safe.

If I do decide to remove all the fluid, if I get a very clean container to hold it, I could drain the system into that then take the filter off I would think.

/ Brand New B2650 UDT fluid leaking #9  
It is very hard to see under there. I was going to try the simple thing and change the filter and see if the issue goes away. If it doesn't, I do have the Kubota insurance which should cover the issue. I may need to let the garage fix it just to be safe.

If I do decide to remove all the fluid, if I get a very clean container to hold it, I could drain the system into that then take the filter off I would think.

I had a few leaks on my L3301. Loose hydraulic fittings, etc. So make sure you check everything above the area where the leak is at. The dented filter may just be a coincidence.

That is what worries me. The tree stumps were more like little saplings that would give easy. It was more of a bush type trunk, not an actual tree, but they were about a good inch or so thick. They were sticking up out of the ground a good foot or so. My guess is when I ran over it, it got stuck then flung and hit the oil filter. The dent in the filter is not that bad. It seems like when it first hit, it sprayed hydraulic fluid on the group then stopped, now there is just a slow drip. That is almost telling me it hit the filter and broke the seal briefly and it sprayed, then it sprung back into place and didn't seal completely back up causing it to drip.

I had a few leaks on my L3301. Loose hydraulic fittings, etc. So make sure you check everything above the area where the leak is at. The dented filter may just be a coincidence.