Adding suspension to BX1860 seat

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #1  

Bravo Xray

Tractor
Kubota BX1860
I've been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find a reasonable way to add suspension to my OEM seat. Haven't found anything that says it will fit, and I even bought a universal type in the hopes I could modify it. No luck.

I'm not going to buy a $500 air seat... just don't have the disposable funds for that. I'd like to find something that I can modify for $200 or less. My local Kubota dealer is no help.

So, has anybody found a way to add suspension to an 08 BX1860 OEM seat? Thanks in advance for any and all constructive solutions.

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #2  
Hey Bravo, I don't have a BX but I do have an older B7500 (a little bigger) and I suspect the seats are probably about the same size. I recently bought a new Michigan mechanical suspension seat (Amazon.com: Michigan Black Seat, Milsco V53 High Back Suspension Seat W/Lumbar #1598 #HE: Automotive) for my 3 year old zero turn and so I decided to use the original zero turn seat (that had no suspension and use it to replace my old, cracked Kubota seat. But I wanted to add a suspension system on it as well.

After doing some research I bought this one SEAT SUSPENSION KIT FITS BAD BOY,GRAVELY,DEERE,TORO,SCAG,HUSTLER,EXMARK #FF | eBay which only adds about 2 inches in height.

It has an adjustable weight setting and I did have to make some mods to fit the bottom of the suspension to the tractor but the seat was a standard bolt pattern, so no problem there. But even if you had to mod it to fit your seat it shouldn't be too difficult. For $140 this is a good value to get a basic suspension for your seat.

But if you use your BX to mow and your ground is as bumpy as mine I would opt for the Milsco V-5300 Michigan seat as it is as good and better than some of the air suspension seats that cost much more.

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat
Thanks, zman-
I tried the second one you listed, and it wasn't even close to working... different width and length of the mounting surfaces. If I can't find something closer, I might have to go with something like that and fabricate an adapter (which is what I had to do to make the same suspension fit my '17 Gravely ZTHD). thanks again for the reply!

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #4  
Do not overlook air pressure in the tires. If high it makes ride harder also. No idea you will find anything for $200 but look at forklift seats. Again think past $200 but some fine seats on the professional ztr mowers. Have a 3100 Ferris and seat is great.

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat
You're quite right about air pressure affecting ride quality. And I fear you're also right about the price point of a satisfactory suspension upgrade. As I get older ride quality seems to be more of an issue. Thanks for the input!

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #6  
Thanks, zman-
I tried the second one you listed, and it wasn't even close to working... different width and length of the mounting surfaces. If I can't find something closer, I might have to go with something like that and fabricate an adapter (which is what I had to do to make the same suspension fit my '17 Gravely ZTHD). thanks again for the reply!

I bought the second one and it fit the Z121 perfect after flipping the seat adjustment arm sides. I ordered one for my BX2370-1 and way to small. Ended up being an expensive test. I considered fabricating steel plates/bars to span the distance and drill holes for attachment but I don't think the seat slide adjustment would have worked since the catch slot would then be gone. I returned seat and took the big, big, big hit for the restocking fee and return postage but know to not buy from them again for Kubotas..

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #7  
I recently saw someone found one that adds about 2 inches in height and back about 1 inch. The springs stretched horizontally with some kind of hinge arrangement. But I can't find it now. :mad:

I'll keep lookin'.

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #8  
I bought the same seat that zman did, for my z turn. It required minimal modification, just drilling new new holes to match existing bolt pattern. Big improvement in riding comfort. $140 well spent.

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #9  
Hey Bravo, I don't have a BX but I do have an older B7500 (a little bigger) and I suspect the seats are probably about the same size. I recently bought a new Michigan mechanical suspension seat (Amazon.com: Michigan Black Seat, Milsco V53 High Back Suspension Seat W/Lumbar #1598 #HE: Automotive) for my 3 year old zero turn and so I decided to use the original zero turn seat (that had no suspension and use it to replace my old, cracked Kubota seat. But I wanted to add a suspension system on it as well.

After doing some research I bought this one SEAT SUSPENSION KIT FITS BAD BOY,GRAVELY,DEERE,TORO,SCAG,HUSTLER,EXMARK #FF | eBay which only adds about 2 inches in height.

It has an adjustable weight setting and I did have to make some mods to fit the bottom of the suspension to the tractor but the seat was a standard bolt pattern, so no problem there. But even if you had to mod it to fit your seat it shouldn't be too difficult. For $140 this is a good value to get a basic suspension for your seat.

But if you use your BX to mow and your ground is as bumpy as mine I would opt for the Milsco V-5300 Michigan seat as it is as good and better than some of the air suspension seats that cost much more.
zman-, which seat rides the best? V-5300 or the mower seat with added suspension? lt190b

/ Adding suspension to BX1860 seat #10  
I also have one of each. The KM suspension kit works very good but I think it might depend on how good the seat is you put on top. Tough to the Michigan V5300. Very good ride and excellent seat. I put the Michigan on a zero turn and the KM on my tractor. So two different applications. I would do either again. I have a little write up on them somewhere on here.