BX Fire Hazard

/ BX Fire Hazard #1  

Anonymous Poster

Someone posted on the John Deere forum an email? that JD sent out and/or is sending out about a problem with the Gator.

Wish Kubota would do the same, I have heard nothing regarding the known BX fuel tank leakage problem, in fact have never received anything from Kubota about anything, not once. You would think they would want to deal with the problems on a more professional level. I already know about the 3pt problem, someone else posted that this has to be resolved during warranty, as if YOU have to bring a FROM THE GITGO defect to their attention to get it fixed.

I guess they hope they will sell more tractors when the earlier ones catch fire in the garage. Since I haven't been notified of anything, I know nothing legally. I guess when my BX finally goes up in flames Kubota can buy all the other toys in my garage as well. But that's OK, my Ford NH is due for an oil change and there's some moss on the roof. Why deal with those items sensibly when Kubota is volunteering to pay for it all?

JD sure seems more on the ball.

And did you catch that recall notice on the airwaves about the Chevy Trailblazer (a vehicle I haven't even seen yet but is already recalled!)

They are asking people to stop driving them IMMEDIATELY and instructing dealers to GO PICK THEM UP! Now that's really taking a recall seriously!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

del

/ BX Fire Hazard #2  
Del,
Do you have an e-mail address? I'd like to check something out for you.
Matt

/ BX Fire Hazard #3  
Del, yes the infamous Trescrows. Why not just give your dealer a call? Mine replaced it (the tank) once with a new one and when they came out with an improved version he came back out and installed it all free. Also, I called the rep about that 3-point "kit" and found them very responsive. The message was passed from the USA rep to the regional rep who called my dealer and before I could say "Kubota" I had it all fixed up just jiffy. Kubota has a very strong desire to maintain their reputation--you just need to call and tell them you want it fixed--it will not just happen. Your dealer may never have registered your sale--did you? Anyway you can get all your problems solved with your dealer, if need be get a hold of your regional rep, I bet he will get you smiling. This should not be a problem--really. Good luck. J

/ BX Fire Hazard
If "my" dealer was like your dealer or a "normal" dealer I'd do as you suggest. And yes we filled out the registration papers. It would not surprise me at all to find they threw them in the trash or wiped their you know what with them. I'd like to relay what the company secretary told me about one of the owners that just about blew my mind, but decorum prohibits such nonsense on this board! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

del

/ BX Fire Hazard #5  
Del;

I did receive a mandatory recall for the fuel tank. Since I'm ****-retentive about keeping paperwork and audit trails, I still have it. Recall scanned and uploaded. (The hand written notation on the top is just my reminder that the work was performed).

The other issues were not mandatory. If the owner complained, they addressed them. Usual and customary procedures for non-safety issues by all manufactures. (Remember all the bru-ha-ha on this board from the JD owners that the tire scuffing problem was only addressed if they confronted the dealer directly, and the problem/fix was known by JD. They all do it.)

But, I would think that the HST pedal sticking would be a safety issue, surprised that I never received notice on that one /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

Did you receive your ownership survey after 6 months? If not, then something probably is amok with the paperwork.

Roy

/ BX Fire Hazard #6  
Forgot to add another personal story about John Deere in particular. I purchased a new JD 170 lawn tractor 03/1989, which was a 1989 model. After a while, it became difficult to start. It was only through another forum, that I found out that there was a fix for it from JD ('Improvement Starter Solenoid Wiring Harness'). So, I picked the kit up from my dealer ($16.64).

Now, here is one of the kickers. The kit came with a Service Bulletin (JD M77862) on how to install. The SB was dated July 1988! The problem was known when my tractor was sold, and most probably even when built. My neighbor also bought a new 170 the following year (1990), and sure enough, they were still building and selling them with a known problem!

I know $16.64 doesn't sound like much, but as Paul Harvey used to say 'Next, the rest of the story'. I approached my dealer about this starting issue many times over the course of several years (was out of warranty). They told me to replace the coil ($45.13) and then the voltage regulator ($72.43). So, I spent years fighting a problem, spending money at per the dealer's advice, and JD knew the problem! When I finally learned about the wiring kit, this is what the guy at the JD parts counter said, 'Yeah, we sell a lot of the them.' So, my dealer knew about it also!

So, due to my own personal experience, and other issues I have seen reported, like the 4x00 tire scuffing, INMO, I cannot hold JD up as the model corporation for addressing issues.

Roy

/ BX Fire Hazard
Del, you've lost your court case when your garage burns down right here. First you've stated that you know about an existing problem yet post that your mossy roof and the contents under it will be paid for by Kubota. Unlikely since you now have proof that others with BX's have had theirs successfully repaired. I will go out on a limb here and say that either your dealer is not all it could be in which case they will not survive long selling tractors or your going in with an attitude and their dishing it right back at you. The latter is my guess and perhaps instead of being so pesimistic as I have now read in many of your posts, you go in with a less vindictive and more coporative mindset, you'll be amazed at how much more people will deal with you, and like you for that matter.

/ BX Fire Hazard #8  
Call the rep. Tell him your problems. Find another dealer. I bet the rep will help you out. Why did you buy from such a Jackarse? Make it happen. J

/ BX Fire Hazard
Dear Mr. Anonymous.

That's a laugh, you haven't read many of my posts then! I'm not vindictive or pessimistic. I had good results with parts and previous sales with the dealer itself in the past. During my last purchase of two tractors it became unbelievable. I'm been in the customer service business with car repair and parts with people for 30 years, I know the drill.

It never helps to yell, shout, be negative, be condescending, be critical, be anything but calm, hopeful. As someone on the company side there's been many times I've been "in the right" and still went the customer's way, it isn't worth the loss of a customer or even worth getting po'd. Life's too short. I maintained this until the end, way beyond when my wife was going nuts over it, and she is the CALM one in the family/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.

A customer service representative from one a major supplier even gently stuck his nose in and was also taken aback by the response. Everybody can have a bad day, but a bad 6 months?

My comments about the insurance were tongue in cheek, I'm not one to let my stuff burn up. When the BX starts to leak I'll get it fixed (hopefully before then!) with or without Kubota's help. As Roy mentioned there is a notice (which I think someone posted), it's probably paperwork problem?

All big companies I've run into have problems and seem to look out for themselves in a big way. There are people that do try to take advantage of a situation and sometimes the big companies seem to over react to this and assume everyone deserves a kick in the butt. But not always. It seems to come down to the individual company rep, some who are such great people you want them as neighbors!

I was just bringing my feeling that most companies will let your paint fall off 24 hours after you bought your car ("secret warranties"), but when it comes to a real problem of fire or accident they really get with the program. I don't care if we all find out that our BX cupholders are constantly cracking, but I would like to know if I'm going to be trailing flaming diesel behind me one of these days /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Live Long and Prosper, Mr. Unregistered...

del

/ BX Fire Hazard
Del.
are tou sure your tractor falls under serial numbers recalled.Kubota did ship tractors with updated tank installed from factory last year,also the 3pt.ht. update is on the newer tractors.don't get to wound up to you have a chance to checkyour ser.# against the service bulieten with your dealer, he may be right you may not fall under recall.I belive in giving everyone a chance,until i catch them lieing to me then all hell breaks loose.I'd put a smily face but i'm lucky i can type this!