Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060

/ Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060 #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
When shopping for my L6060 tractor, the cab model I saw at the dealer had a cigarette lighter style 12V power outlet in the right fender console. When I took delivery of my ROPS model L6060, I was annoyed to find the outlet was missing and had been replaced by a rubber plug.

P1060447b.jpg

I was told there was no power outlet option available from Kubota for a ROPS tractor. After doing some digging, I found the reason for this is the OEM Kubota outlet is not weather resistant and would fill with debris & corrosion without the protection of the cab.

I found this product on Amazon for $6.99 and with an hours work, I had a marine grade, corrosion resistant power outlet installed on my L6060:

Amazon.com: Cigarette Lighter Socket,TEQStone Waterproof Marine Grade 12V DC Outlet for Motorbike Car Scooter: Automotive

The install was fairly easy and involved these steps:

Remove the wiring harness cover below the console.

P1060449b.jpg

Remove the 2 bolts holding the console to the fender. Raise the console a few inches without removing it.

P1060451b.jpg

Remove the rubber plug and enlarge the hole to 1 1/8". The new outlet is a snug fit so enlarge the opening accordingly. A minutes work with a half round file was all that was necessary. Connect two 12" lengths of 18 gauge or larger wire to the lugs on the power outlet using the provided #3 female crimp on connectors.

P1060460B.jpg P1060462b.jpg

Locate the two work light power connectors in the wiring harness compartment. They are powered via a 10 amp fuse marked "work light" on the fuse block and are controlled by the ignition switch. Using #3 crimp on male spade connectors, connect the two wires from the outlet to either of the connectors. Make sure to observe the correct polarity. The center lug of the outlet body should be connected to +12V. Note that one of the connectors in the picture is being used to power the air ride seat.

P1060464b.jpg

Remember to close the cap on the power outlet when not in use to keep debris from getting inside. It happens very quickly when working the tractor.

P1060466b.jpg

/ Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060 #2  
Nice install and detailed install description. I installed the same plug on my 5240. Used an existing hole below the seat. I don't have a picture but I can get one a little later today.

/ Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060
Nice install and detailed install description. I installed the same plug on my 5240. Used an existing hole below the seat. I don't have a picture but I can get one a little later today.

Thanks for the complement. I have seen earlier ROPS model Grand L's with these outlets but I'm not sure if they were OEM or not. My L3430 didn't have one nor was there a convenient place to install a bulkhead mount outlet. I had to wire a loose one and left in the toolbox behind the seat. Apparently your 40 series tractor has no OEM installed outlet either.

I've known Kubota to change options like this in mid production so it's hard to tell what is "standard" anymore. You would think however, with an expensive machine like the Grand L, Kubota would spend a couple of bucks and make these handy outlets a standard feature. I'm sure they exist but I've never seen an automobile without one.

/ Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060 #4  
I did a very similar install to my ROPS L6060 about a year ago.

I too expected my ROPS model to have a 12V power outlet and, like you, was annoyed to find the hole filled with a plug upon delivery.

SDT

/ Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060 #5  
I just noticed from your profile that you own both MX5800 and L6060 Kubotas.

Curious as to how you find the L6060 vis a vis the MX5800?

SDT

I just noticed from your profile that you own both MX5800 and L6060 Kubotas.

Curious as to how you find the L6060 vis a vis the MX5800?

SDT

The L6060 and MX5800 have similar specs and it does seem odd to own both tractors. The MX is a slightly larger, heavier framed machine and IMO is more suited for earth working. When put side by side, the difference is mostly noticeable in the front axle assembly which is substantially larger than the L. The LA1065 FEL on the MX is very close in specs to the LA1055 on the L but I've found the MX to have considerably more power when moving earth. The wider width and larger tires are likely the reason.

I bought the MX5800 last year to replace my L3430, mainly for the increased HP. I immediately began to miss the creature comforts of the Grand L's. I found the size of the MX to be a problem when working in the many tight spots I have on my hilly 25 acres. Don't get me wrong, I like the MX very much and don't regret the purchase. It amazes me what the tractor will do! It's just a bit too large for some tasks I did with ease on my old L3430.

The backhoe was the real reason I bought the L6060. At my age, it's getting to be more and more of a challenge to put on and take off my BH92. It often took longer to do the swap than the actual BH work. I began shopping out a second tractor with the idea I would keep the the BH92 on the MX and use it for the heavy duty work around the place. I really liked the increased HP of the MX and very quickly settled on the L6060.

The L6060 is somewhat larger than the old L3430 but a bit smaller than the MX and with it's shorter turning radius, works well in most of the places too tight for the MX. Since I put most of the hours on the L, I'm also grateful to get my Grand L creature comforts back.

These are my general observations so far. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions though.

/ Adding a 12V Power Outlet to a ROPS L6060 #7  
The L6060 and MX5800 have similar specs and it does seem odd to own both tractors. The MX is a slightly larger, heavier framed machine and IMO is more suited for earth working. When put side by side, the difference is mostly noticeable in the front axle assembly which is substantially larger than the L. The LA1065 FEL on the MX is very close in specs to the LA1055 on the L but I've found the MX to have considerably more power when moving earth. The wider width and larger tires are likely the reason.

I bought the MX5800 last year to replace my L3430, mainly for the increased HP. I immediately began to miss the creature comforts of the Grand L's. I found the size of the MX to be a problem when working in the many tight spots I have on my hilly 25 acres. Don't get me wrong, I like the MX very much and don't regret the purchase. It amazes me what the tractor will do! It's just a bit too large for some tasks I did with ease on my old L3430.

The backhoe was the real reason I bought the L6060. At my age, it's getting to be more and more of a challenge to put on and take off my BH92. It often took longer to do the swap than the actual BH work. I began shopping out a second tractor with the idea I would keep the the BH92 on the MX and use it for the heavy duty work around the place. I really liked the increased HP of the MX and very quickly settled on the L6060.

The L6060 is somewhat larger than the old L3430 but a bit smaller than the MX and with it's shorter turning radius, works well in most of the places too tight for the MX. Since I put most of the hours on the L, I'm also grateful to get my Grand L creature comforts back.

These are my general observations so far. I'd be glad to answer any specific questions though.

I looked briefly at the MX5800 before buying my L6060. The larger front wheels/tires were immediately apparent.

I ended up with the L6060 for the "deluxe" features, especially the added hydrostat features.

IIRC, the engine is identical. Have you noticed any power/performance differences?

SDT

I looked briefly at the MX5800 before buying my L6060. The larger front wheels/tires were immediately apparent.

I ended up with the L6060 for the "deluxe" features, especially the added hydrostat features.

IIRC, the engine is identical. Have you noticed any power/performance differences?

SDT

Although the L6060 has a slightly higher HP rating, as you say, the engines are nearly identical. The L is noticeably quieter, more comfortable and has less vibration than the MX due to a different muffler setup. Doing most tasks like mowing, grading, brush hogging etc. I see little difference in performance. When doing heavy jobs like earth moving though, there is no question the MX transmits more power to the ground. The two tractors weigh about the same and both have loaded tires but the L has a lower center of gravity. I find it to be considerably more stable when mowing steep slopes.

If I had to go back to a single tractor I would be happy with either machine but would probably pick the Grand L for the comfort factor.