bx LA 243 loader grease zerks

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
I go to grease the loader for the first time yesterday and the first grease zerk came right out when I pulled the grease gun off. I tried to screw the zerk back into the threaded area but have been unsuccessful so far. Part of the problem is that there is a small hole making for a very limited space to try to screw it back in, but the threads might also be stripped although they don't look terrible.

The rest of the grease zerks on the loader took grease but I guess the first one was on loose. Any ideas on how to fix this. Any one know what size the grease zerks are. Sorry for no pictures. Frustrating to have this happen on a new tractor.

I am still able to grease the pin by actually taking it out but it would be nice to be able to get this fixed although I'm not sure it's worth it to take it to the dealer even if it still is under warranty. Thanks

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #2  
Some zerks are metric and some not. I think it depends on where the unit was made. Because of this I have assortments of both metric and sea.

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #3  
Should be sae not sea. If I need to replace a zerk I match it up to a new one and install it gently to insure it is the right size and thread and then tighten it down.

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #4  
I had one zerk pull out. Took it to Kubota dealer and got new one plus several more. Usually one zerk/year is plugged. I don't fool around with them - just replace and plop old one in can of gas. Later, as time becomes available, I'll clean up the plugged zerk. Its usually a combo of dirt, dust and old crusty grease.

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks
I think I must have stripped the threads when greasing it the first time. Either that or it came messed up from when I bought it.

I'm unable to thread the zerk back into place. May have to take it to the dealer as opposed to trying to fix it we'll see

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #6  
I have this happen to me when I least expect it. However, the best way to fix it (the dealer will do the same) is to get a tap and die and make a larger thread size. They do make self tapping zerk fittings, but I've had so-so experiences with them. I much prefer taking the time to re-tap the hole.

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #7  
Got to ask a dumb question: are these threaded or barbed? Screw in or press in? I have no idea... that's why I'm asking.

Z.

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks
They are threaded on the loader.

Diesel 85, I think you are right about getting it retapped the next size up. Thanks

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #9  
Before over sizing the hole I would try to clean the threads and install a new fitting.
It's not uncommon for the grease fittings to unscrew until it's the last little but and damage the last thread or 2, then the fitting will not thread back in easily.

Had to do this on quite a few fittings, sometimes it can be cleaned with a pick, sometimes you have to run a tap or thread chaser through the hole.

/ bx LA 243 loader grease zerks #10  
I think a "bottoming" tap would be called for. Regular tap couldn't work.