Tires Running tractor tires on a zero turn

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #1  

ProjectKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 FEL, Kubota L3301 FEL/BH, Ford Golden Jubilee, Honda Foreman 450ES, Polaris Ranger 400, Kubota ZD326, etc, etc
I'm debating installing ag or industrial style tires on my ZD326. Currently it has turfs on it.

I'm attaching pics (pics I stole off image search) to show the 3 styles I'm considering. R1 (bar tires), R4 (industrial) and Carlisle WT300 tires.

Does anyone have any opinions? I can get the R1 or the R4 fairly cheap from dealer because they are same as BX series tractor. Would keep my old tires and wheels for a yard cart or something.

IMG_8871.JPG
IMG_8869.JPGIMG_8872.JPGIMG_8874.JPG

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #2  
I'm debating installing ag or industrial style tires on my ZD326. Currently it has turfs on it.

I'm attaching pics (pics I stole off image search) to show the 3 styles I'm considering. R1 (bar tires), R4 (industrial) and Carlisle WT300 tires.

Does anyone have any opinions? I can get the R1 or the R4 fairly cheap from dealer because they are same as BX series tractor. Would keep my old tires and wheels for a yard cart or something.

View attachment 520969
View attachment 520966View attachment 520967View attachment 520968

The R4 tires may work. Many BX and B folks use them on their tractors and they mow their yards a lot. I am thinking the R1 tires may tear up your yard, as the tread is very aggressive. Just my thoughts.

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn
   / Running tractor tires on a zero turn #5  
I had a similar lug tire put on my ZTR and it has improved my traction in wet grass and on hills. I had to learn to slow my turns down and watch my take off speeds because if you give too much torque on the lug tires it will remove a patch of grass. On corners or when backing you have to be sure you start slow and keep the differential power in sync for what ever maneuver you are trying to do. For instance if you drag one wheel in comparison to the other the lugs will remove some grass.

This may sound like I don't like them, but that's not true. The positive out way the negatives. You can overcome the negatives if you better manage your driving style.

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #6  
I run "bar" tires on both of my Grasshoppers,

standard.jpg

SR

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #7  
This topic has been on my radar lately. I have 2 ZD mowers, and want better traction on banks that I routinely cut. I've been looking at the atv style knobby tires with aggressive sidewall edges, or grooving my existing tires. I can see the R1 tire pushing into the turf and improving hillside traction also, and to a lesser degree the R4's, but I have no experience with them on a zero.

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #8  
I would put something like the Carlisle AllTrail 2 on there before I put bar tires on. Better sidehill traction and a little more sidewall flexibility.

Aaron Z

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #9  
What tire size? Not all tread patterns are available on all sizes. That said, I like my AT101's on my ztr.

Contrary to popular belief, bar tires, or similar don't tear up the yard any more than turfs. And sometimes less. But you gotta know how to operate with them.

Let me elaborate....

Turf tires in slick conditions spin. That results in more damage than a bar tire that does not spin.

Going around trees and other stuff, with turfs you could easily be spinning the crap out of the inside tire and not even know it. This tears up the yard. Bar tires don't spin, they force you to be a good operator and hold the lever just right for the turn.

As to knowing how to drive with them....don't turn/spin on a dime. Do a 3-point turn (also called k-turn). And you will be just fine

/ Running tractor tires on a zero turn #10  
What is the reason or goal? I wouldn't go with an R4 since it's stiffer and won't really have a traction benefit, so I don't see the point of it on a z-turn. R4 is mainly for handling heavy loads (ie, front loader or backhoe) and puncture resistance typical of construction use.