B2630 won't start

/ B2630 won't start #1  

brownsl

I started up my B2630 yesterday no problem. I drove to mow my field. When driving there in the road I thought it seemed like it was not moving as fast as usual. When I got there I engaged the PTO for the mid mount mower. The engine slowed way down and then died. I could not get it started after that. I towed it back to my garage. Any ideas? It seems like it might be connected to the engine not operating as fast as normal.

/ B2630 won't start #2  
Maybe just a little more information would help...

How many hours on the machine?
When last serviced?
Checked engine oil?
Checked coolant?
Checked radiator cooling fins?
When trying to start does the engine crank over? - strongly??
...anything else you can tell us?
Strange smells? Smoke when it stopped? Steam???

/ B2630 won't start
Sorry, here is more info:

Tractor is about 7 years old and has 193 hours on it. This is the first time I have had any problem with it. I have done all the routine maintenance myself.

When I say it won't start it does not crank at all. I turn the key and the dash lights come on but that is it. No noise at all.

Checked all fluids and they are good.

I checked battery and it is at 12 volts.

I just checked the two seat switches and they are good. The other switches look much hard to get at, remove seat deck?

I also rocked the fwd/reverse pedal to make sure it is at neutral.

/ B2630 won't start #4  
Use the "Search" function and numerous threads will tell you to, and how to, check the 'grounds' on your tractor as well as the fuses. "Load test" the battery etc.

Do that first, then come back and report - and hope it doesn't have s seized engine.

/ B2630 won't start #5  
Most likely the battery. A good on should be more than 12 volts, more like 13.

/ B2630 won't start
I checked the volts when trying to start it, it drops to 11.5 V. All the battery connections are clean and tight. I also tried to charge start it and still nothing ... not sure if that means the battery is ok.

/ B2630 won't start
Thanks. I had looked through some of those threads already. I was hoping the fact that it did not seem to be running as fast and died when turning the PTO on might mean something specific. The threads I looked at did not mention anything like this.

/ B2630 won't start #9  
They describe bypassing the starter solenoid to crank the engine which is the first thing you need to know. Does the battery have enough power to crank the engine and is the engine free to spin over? Jumper leads from a known-good battery? A jumper lead to bypass the ground strap from the engine to the battery??
I'm not a big fan of bypassing - You should trace the power from the battery to the ignition switch and through the interlock circuit etc. to the starter solenoid..

Unless the engine is mechanically seized you have an electrical problem to find. Then, when the engine is running (If it can) you can address the power loss symptom.

/ B2630 won't start #10  
It needs a battery. Load test to check it for sure. Autozone or places like that will load test it for free. It's a 7 year old battery I'd put a 90% chance it needs a battery.