Would you buy a gas tractor

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #1  

ccsial

Veteran Member
Tractor
(Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1900 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new
Wondering how many would go for a gas CUT if Kubota made one.

Do all new tier 4 Kubotas use DEF?

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #2  
I wouldn't like it, but I'm guessing the diesel cost thousands more.

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #3  
I would. I didn't mind my old gas IH one bit. Always started in the coldest winter weather.

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #4  
I'd buy one yesterday if it was whisper quiet, and just to get someone's attention diesel is over rated..........

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #5  
Apples vs Oranges, they all have their up`s and down`s whether its gas or diesel. Some will say diesel will outlast a gasser, i dunno, my old JD gasser is 30+yrs old, never been torn down, never failed to start and run in the past 30+yrs. Friend of mine has virtually the same tractor, but with a diesel engine... been back to the dealer more times for service than my gasser, and oh boy what a repair bill every trip he`s made there and back. So, what ever fries your bacon i guess. I love my diesel`s, but good lord do they cost money when they break down.

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #6  
Yes, I would buy a gasoline powered small tractor if such were available.

Yes, diesel engines have better torque characteristics for industrial use than do gasoline engines but HP is HP. A 30 HP gasoline tractor will do as much work as will a 30 HP diesel tractor but it will likely use more (less expensive) gasoline doing so.

I've had many gasoline powered farm tractors in the past and still own and use four.

The federales have been meddling in the small tractor market for lack of other worthwhile things to do. As a result, we now have expensive DPF systems on CUTS above 30 HP or so. Such nonsense is expensive.

Currently, the federales are not concerned with gasoline powered tractors because few, if any, are offered for sale. The manufacturers have noticed this and are developing small gasoline powered tractors as we speak. Advancements made in gasoline engine technology have reduced the fuel economy and torque characteristic advantages of diesel vis a vis gasoline engines for such applications.

Stay tuned. Gasoline powered small tractors are coming and they will be less expensive than similarly sized diesel powered units at least until the federales take notice and attack them.

Finally: No, only diesel farm tractors above 100 HP or so require DEF. Smaller machines suffice with DPFs. Of course, the federales will continue to meddle so we should expect to see DEF, catalytic converters, or other nonsense on our walk-behind lawn mowers in the foreseeable future.

SDT

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #7  
I might purchase gas for second tractor use or heck of great deal.

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #8  
Modern gas engines in my experience have a larger total cost of ownership after >10 years. For the typical homeowner that was a step above a lawn tractor, gas would be fine. If you already want a gas powered SCUT, the Simplicity Legacy XL is for you. Price isn't too bad either for a new tractor and loader.

However, like I said, my experience with gas engines have been nothing but issues as they get older with high hours.

My next truck will be diesel for sure too. I went from a diesel to gas pickup, and never again will I go gas in a pickup truck.

Again, just my experience with gas vs. diesel.

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #9  
First of all, the oldest tractor I own in a 1968 or 69 Deutz, it's had ZERO down time and still starts and runs perfectly...

It purrs away making good power and torque for as long as you want to run it, and if it has a good batt. in it, it's always ready to go no matter how long it sets!!

Diesel is cheaper here than gas, and stores MUCH better, so why would I want to trade DOWN to a gas tractor??

NO WAY would I go back to a gas tractor!! That would be about like going back to an ex wife!!

SR

/ Would you buy a gas tractor #10  
First of all, the oldest tractor I own in a 1968 or 69 Deutz, it's had ZERO down time and still starts and runs perfectly...

It purrs away making good power and torque for as long as you want to run it, and if it has a good batt. in it, it's always ready to go no matter how long it sets!!

Diesel is cheaper here than gas, and stores MUCH better, so why would I want to trade DOWN to a gas tractor??

NO WAY would I go back to a gas tractor!! That would be about like going back to an ex wife!!

SR

I would not go back to my ex-wife either, but my Ford 3400 TLB is gas powered, and I would readily buy it again.
It is a 1970 model, and I bought it in 1986, with 1300 hours.
My ex left 20 years ago, after 34 years.
After 31 years with me, the 3400 TLB has 1850 hours, and I expect that it will easily exceed that 34 year milestone (I will be 80 then) living with me.
Sure, it is old,...... it is a toy for me.
The breakout force is impressive, and it has a 2' hoe bucket ( I have sand)
Will do a LOT more work than many of the petite hoes I read about here on TBN.
It got a complete refurbishment last year. Added a mechanical thumb too.
Looks almost like new