My M7060 purchase and usage thread

/ My M7060 purchase and usage thread #31  
Wow. Quite a set of purchases ! Really nice.

I'm wanting to understand better the difference you have or expect to have between the "3rd function" on the loader and use of your remotes as hydraulic flow source for the front Lane Shark. My MF2660 may not be a good reference but it is what I have. My 4-in-1 bucket pinch function is run from one of my remotes. That same set of lines was used when I had a FEL-mounted very heavy brush cutter. I think I said before that when I moved my loader (curl or loader frame under force, not gravity) that stops the cutter motor very suddenly and then a very sudden hard runup to full speed again after I stopped moving the loader controls. Besides being awkward and uncomfortable I felt it would eventually result in damage. The hydraulic line pair with connectors mounted on my loader near the bucket was always referred to as the 3rd function so far as I know. Is there some other meaning ? Is there some magic by which the flow taken off the loader (rather than off a remote) changes the "one track mind" hydraulics? I don't see how it would unless there is a flow diverter valve built into your 3rd function flow source. I had heard that some larger Kubotas had factory options for complex hydraulic valving (?) By the way, my remotes seem to have a pretty large and direct return line to the sump.
Maybe you can explain/set me straight ?

/ My M7060 purchase and usage thread
Wow. Quite a set of purchases ! Really nice.

I'm wanting to understand better the difference you have or expect to have between the "3rd function" on the loader and use of your remotes as hydraulic flow source for the front Lane Shark. My MF2660 may not be a good reference but it is what I have. My 4-in-1 bucket pinch function is run from one of my remotes. That same set of lines was used when I had a FEL-mounted very heavy brush cutter. I think I said before that when I moved my loader (curl or loader frame under force, not gravity) that stops the cutter motor very suddenly and then a very sudden hard runup to full speed again after I stopped moving the loader controls. Besides being awkward and uncomfortable I felt it would eventually result in damage. The hydraulic line pair with connectors mounted on my loader near the bucket was always referred to as the 3rd function so far as I know. Is there some other meaning ? Is there some magic by which the flow taken off the loader (rather than off a remote) changes the "one track mind" hydraulics? I don't see how it would unless there is a flow diverter valve built into your 3rd function flow source. I had heard that some larger Kubotas had factory options for complex hydraulic valving (?) By the way, my remotes seem to have a pretty large and direct return line to the sump.
Maybe you can explain/set me straight ?

I had the same questions as you when talking to the manufacturer since I was wanting to run the LS with the 3rd function. He explained that while it will work, it is far from ideal and will result in premature motor failure since the 3rd function is basically a full on or full off valve. This is great for driving cylinders but not for driving hyd motors that have mass to drive up to speed. The same mass needs to disapate it's energy by spinning down freely instead of the motor abruptly trying to stop it. By using one line from a rear remote you can "ease into it" to spin the cutter up and then it can freewheel down by the return going directly into the sump. He did a good job of explaining it where I could understand, he says they have spend a lot of time working with the setup and this is the best way to go.

/ My M7060 purchase and usage thread #33  
I'm still puzzled. Whatever valve drives the front cutter needs to run continuously or at least allow you to "set it and forget it" so it is running continuously. With an open center system, when you raise the loader frame or curl the bucket mount, that will cut off flow to any other devices such as remotes suddenly. Then when you stop curling or raising the frame (by using the loader valve, not the valve driving the cutter) the flow suddenly returns to the cutter. Your dealer no doubt knows what he is doing but I do not see how you get around that situation.

The only thing that will cut flow off to a "set" remote would be if the pressure dropped enough to divert all the flow away from the open valve. I could see that happening if you were to get crazy with loader movements but you would not in operation of the cutter. normal slow movements won't rob enough flow rate to stop the cutter in normal situations. I don't foresee whipping the loader up and down while the cutter in engaged in heavy cutting. Look at this video of a tractor with a much lower flow rate than mine with the cutter operating while the loader is being operated.Lane Shark USA - YouTube

/ My M7060 purchase and usage thread #35  
Just a friendly suggestion, but if at all possible, get a better/heavier box scraper. My original scraper is rarely used for anything, but a bit of counter balance.

/ My M7060 purchase and usage thread #36  
The only thing that will cut flow off to a "set" remote would be if the pressure dropped enough to divert all the flow away from the open valve. I could see that happening if you were to get crazy with loader movements but you would not in operation of the cutter. normal slow movements won't rob enough flow rate to stop the cutter in normal situations. I don't foresee whipping the loader up and down while the cutter in engaged in heavy cutting. Look at this video of a tractor with a much lower flow rate than mine with the cutter operating while the loader is being operated.Lane Shark USA - YouTube

The inherent nature of open center hydraulic systems is that only one device gets flow under pressure at a time. I am not sure of the effect of "power beyond" connections (or even why they are used.) My loader valve is fed by a power beyond connection from near the remotes. When my loader valve calls for motion, whatever is connected to my remotes is shut off for any flow under pressure. That means ANY motion called for by the loader valve stops feed from the remotes and there is no crazy movement or demands involved.

/ My M7060 purchase and usage thread #37  
I have a true 3rd function on my L4060 & a hydraulic PHD. It's a bit awkward to raise or lower the PHD while it's spinning as the loader kills the PHD motor. Not a big deal as it spins slow, but I could see problems with something that's fast with a lot of momentum like a rotary cutter. You'll be surprised how often you need to tweak things with the loader I bet.

My other issue is lack of relief. The hoses jump a lot when I let go of the go button. I picked up a double acting relief valve, but have yet to plumb it in. I hope I get to it before a line blows... Sounds like you might already have this sorted out though.

Just a friendly suggestion, but if at all possible, get a better/heavier box scraper. My original scraper is rarely used for anything, but a bit of counter balance.

The box blade I’m getting is very heavy and beefy although the picture may not show it. I just came back from showing it to a tractor buddy and he was impressed how heavy duty it was. It was sitting beside Land Pride units and made them look like toys.

Well I drove to Pensacola yesterday and picked up the Lane Shark. Had a nice conversation with the owner, Travis. My wife and I were both impressed with the time he took explaining the unit and I can't wait to try it out. I took it directly to my dealer and they will be running the hyd hoses and plumbing the tractor up for it. What I will end up with, in addition to my 3rd function QDs on the front of the loader is another set of QDs for the Lane Shark. Met the owner of the dealership and he was also impressed with how the Lane Hark looked and asked a bunch of questions about it. He also told me that the accessories missing from my tractor were being sent with their next shipment of tractors from GA and should be there Monday. He also told me that they are presently the highest volume dealer in the USA for Kubota. Kinda hard for me to believe but they sure are moving some units from what I have witnessed there. Regardless if true or not, it is nice to know that I will have a major dealer that seems very interested in my satisfaction just 25 miles from my house.

Last edited:
Checked in with the dealer today and the only thing they are waiting on now is the third function valve kit. Hopefully they will have everything else done and then all they will have to do is the hyd plumbing for the 3rd function and my front mower. Weather is super nice and cool here this morning so jumped on the ole NH 3930 and bush hogged a few food plots that I will get to try the new tiller out on later this week.