RCK60-24B bearing failure ??

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #31  
I couldn't wait until Saturday. I lifted the front up with the loader and took my blades off. I put 35 pumps into the right spindle to get returns, 15 in the center and 27 in the left. The left was a concern, at about 25 pumps it squirted a watery substance (mostly water) onto the floor. I will call my dealer tomorrow and voice my concerns with them. My mower has even quieted down. Thanks guys. Once again the TBN crew comes through.

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #32  
I lubed mine at the beginning of the season and used about two thirds of a tube of grease, but still saw nothing oozing out. I figured that was normal.

Has anyone removed and inspected one of the bearings for premature wear or damage yet?

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #33  
Here are the conclusions that I have drawn.

1. The spindles should be full of grease when the tractor is delivered. Either the dealer should grease them properly or they should come that way from the factory.
2. The manual is poorly written in this area. Nowhere in the manual does it describe the correct process for lubricating the spindles. Nowhere does it say that during the initial greasing it could take 40 or more pumps per spindle.
3. The dealers are misinformed. My dealer instructed me to apply 3-4 pumps of grease to the spindles. He said that all decks that they deliver are properly greased before they leave the dealership but he never heard of applying 40 pumps of grease to a spindle.

These are all issues that Kubota needs to correct but I doubt that they will. Although I am very satisfied with my BX2200 I am very disappointed that Kubota is not more proactive in resolving product and support deficiencies. The sticking Hydro pedal, bouncing gas gauge, mistakes in manuals, deck clearance/tires etc.

John

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #34  
After my discussion today, I realized that they are working on some of the things that you mention, however, some of the problems lie with the dealers themselves. As for the manual not addressing some of your concerns, you have to realize that the manuals are originally written in Japanese and translated into English by people that are not really educated on the characteristics of the tractors. I only wish that when I called Mercedes Benz of America that I got the type of information that was offered by Kubota. They both sell high priced items, but the service from Mercedes is far worse and they don't address problems at all. Mercedes replaces defective parts with parts that are destined to be defective in the next 20K miles and think that is acceptable. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif At least Kubota attempts to resolve problems, even if they aren't successful the first or second time of redesign. At least they try... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #35  
Junkman

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( some of the problems lie with the dealers themselves )</font>

I agree with your comment on dealers and that is a tough one for Kubota to fix.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As for the manual not addressing some of your concerns, you have to realize that the manuals are originally written in Japanese and translated into English by people that are not really educated on the characteristics of the tractors )</font>

I can somewhat understand a translation issue in the first printing but the errors are being propagated year after year. Kubota has thousands of employees, customers and dealers in the USA. Why can't they have them proof read the manuals? Why are they still printing the wrong oil capacity for their BX tractor engines?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I only wish that when I called Mercedes Benz of America that I got the type of information that was offered by Kubota. They both sell high priced items, but the service from Mercedes is far worse and they don't address problems at all. Mercedes replaces defective parts with parts that are destined to be defective in the next 20K miles and think that is acceptable. )</font>

I'm not sure I understand your point. If Mercedes is worse, does that mean that Kubota is good? From your comments on Mercedes, I don't think I would want to buy one. (the real reason is that I probably couldn’t afford one!)

I know that I am over simplifying the issues but it really bugs me when companies ignore defects and deficiencies in products. For instance, I have talked directly to Kubota regarding the sticking Hydro pedal and they deny that there is a problem. Even though I am ranting about these issues I do like my BX and I usually speak highly of their products. I would just like to see them clean up some of these nagging issues. If we as consumers are willing to accept products with deficiencies, manufacturers will keep feeding them to us.

John

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #36  
Some of the Kubota problems such as the oil quantity being wrong in the book, I believes stems from the way that the Japanese do things. Kubota USA can suggest changes, but by the time it gets to Japan for the change, the "urgency" isn't even on the radar screen. Japanese companies try to do as much in Japan as they possibly can and only outsource to other countries when it is absolutely necessary. (MB is the same way.) Japan (Kubota) just doesn't see things like printing errors in the same light as we do.
As for the sticking hydro pedal, they have had two service bulletins on it and are working on a third. I believe that they are addressing this question and the problem once again lies with the dealers not following up with these service bulletins. I am not saying that they are perfect or that they have changed their ways completely, but Kubota USA is trying to improve the product and service. One of the things that he explained to me was the computer system that has service bulletin "Pop ups" when they first sign onto the site. The dealers are supposed to print these out and circulate it to the appropriate department people. Many don't do this and that is why they are not informed. You can lead the horse to water, you can't make him drink. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #37  
Junkman
MB is a fine product. I own four and have had very few problems over hundreds of thousands of safe miles. I wish you would slam them in a m.b. forum. I use internet forums to find the weakness in anyones products and do my shopping wisely. I find out about improved parts (and yes they do improve parts) for Mercedes problems and correct them before I have the problem. This improves my level of reliability and satisfaction.
Now the current issue, I love this forum. I purchased a bx23 and should take delivery in the morning. I ordered the 60 inch mmm and a 48 inch bush hog. I will take the mmm off immediatly and grease it tomorrow. Here's another thank you to this forum, I have read posts about transmission filter damage and a homemade guard. I inquired with my saleman about a factory guard and he called me back a said the have one available and will be installing it as well. I will post a pic when I see it.
Hopefully I did my shopping and will be satisfied with the performance of this product as well despite the few issues.
Thanks for the help.
Rich

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #38  
"Has anyone removed and inspected one of the bearings for premature wear or damage yet?"

Yep. J

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #39  
<font color="blue">repack with a high temperature wheel bearing grease for marine applications. </font>

Junkman, marine grease generally has an Aluminum complex as a base. This is incompatable with the Lithium base that is probably in the bearings now and it is doubtful that you will be able to remove all of the existing grease in the bearing.

I would stay with the same grease you currently have.

/ RCK60-24B bearing failure ?? #40  
Yep. J [/quote

Maybe I missed it. Besides Cuda on an old post, and Ken, with his failure, has anyone else actually removed the bearings to check for damage?