B2400 Starting Problem

/ B2400 Starting Problem #1  

victor42

Tractor
Kubota B2400
This is my first post, I have a problem that is driving me crazy and would appreciate any help that is offered.
When my tractor sits a day or two, when I turn the key, there is a click at the starter solenoid. After 3-4 tries, the tractor will start. Last year I replaced the starter solenoid and the problem was still there. With winter coming on, I needed the tractor to start without fail for snow blowing, so I had the dealer pick it up. He said it was a bad ignition switch and replaced it. The tractor started fine all winter. Now with the warmer weather, the starting problem is back.

I thought the problem might be the 8 year old battery, so I jump started the tractor with my boat battery as a test. Every time I do this, the tractor starts on first try. This led me to replace the battery, but it didn't cure the problem. Interestingly, when hot, the tractor will restart on first try. I have cleaned the battery cable clamps, and the ground cable contact at the frame. I have replaced about every component of the starting circuit, but the problem is still there. What do I do next?

/ B2400 Starting Problem #2  
VICTOR42- I had a B1700 with the same problem. I did all the same things you did with no luck. Finally I replaced both the + and - cables to include the clamps. Works fine! Nobody seems to really know what the problem was with the cables but I'm thinking that they just grow old after a while and don't carry the current that they should. And yes I did buy a new battery only to find out that the old one was still good>>>> /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ B2400 Starting Problem #3  
Fortunately it doesn't happen too often, but I've seen battery cables that looked OK but were badly corroded inside the insulation.

/ B2400 Starting Problem #4  
Thanks guys. This problem has just started on my 4 year old B2400. It hasn't caused a major problem but it is annoying. I'll change out the cables when I get round to it.

/ B2400 Starting Problem
Looks like the battery cables are the problem. Tonight, I unhooked the cables from the battery. I then took jumper cables and jumped the negative side of the battery directly to the frame and the positive side to the terminal on the starter where the battery cable hooks up. Turned the key and the tractor started right up. Wish I had contacted this forum about $350 ago. Thanks for solving this problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Purchasing new Kubota battery cables will cost $35, buying generic cables will cost $15. Is it worth buying Kubota cables?

/ B2400 Starting Problem #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it worth buying Kubota cables? )</font>

Victor, I'm no mechanic, but I'd probably buy the cheaper cables as long as they're the same size, and have the proper terminals on the ends.

/ B2400 Starting Problem #7  
If you can get heavier cables that fit go for them.

My tractor had a no start problem when new. It was the ground connection to the frame causing the problem.

Egon

/ B2400 Starting Problem #8  
I can't think of any failure mechanism for an unbroken piece of wire other than corrosion in the interface where the lug is crimped onto the end of the cable itself. Did you notice any corrosion? It would be interesting if you split the lug and removed it from the cable to see what it looks like. I'm assuming there was no visible corrosion on the outside of the lug where it bolts onto the battery terminal or frame.