L3400 PTO grind

/ L3400 PTO grind #12  
....Why what where is he adjusting a clutch pedal on a HST?
The clutch is needed for the PTO to enguge on either model... definitely not out of the question.

For the OP, when you do this (since I had to) it will scare the crap out of you finding the correct spot!!! Hearing the Grinding is not a good sound.

/ L3400 PTO grind #13  
The clutch is needed for the PTO to enguge on either model... definitely not out of the question.

For the OP, when you do this (since I had to) it will scare the crap out of you finding the correct spot!!! Hearing the Grinding is not a good sound.

Never would guess that, a clutch pedal on a HST. Just incase your board, are/do all HST tractors have a clutch pedal for a pto or is that L series thing?

/ L3400 PTO grind #14  
...or is that L series thing?
No, it's a "standard" thing (read that as economical / basic / bare bones HST tractor). The only reason I use it is to engage the PTO (I flip it to the off postion without hitting the clutch).

/ L3400 PTO grind #15  
Yep, the clutch is there for the PTO. L3400's are known for fussy PTO adjustments, I believe. I have never actually used mine, although the previous owner did, since all he used the tractor for was mowing. I checked it, and it works, but nothing beyond that. Good luck in getting it right!

/ L3400 PTO grind #16  
No, it's a "standard" thing (read that as economical / basic / bare bones HST tractor). The only reason I use it is to engage the PTO (I flip it to the off postion without hitting the clutch).
I did the same on my L3200hst. Clutch to start, extra overkill safety as it had the go pedal interlock too. And cluch to start up the PTO. Never had a problem poping the PTO off without the clutch, but I was never under load when I did it. Hit the clutch a couple times when the mower hit something. I prefer the button/knob electro-hydraulic setup with no clutch pedal at all on my new L4060, but not by a lot.

/ L3400 PTO grind
Help please.I think this is a PTO lever adjustment issue. The PTO will engage (with some grinding) only if I push the lever forward some and even then it won't stay engaged. It looks like it could be adjusted below the lever. I don't know if I want to raise or lower the part with threads that has the two nuts to tighten up the cable. Do you know if I want this to go up or down?

/ L3400 PTO grind #18  
Help please.I think this is a PTO lever adjustment issue. The PTO will engage (with some grinding) only if I push the lever forward some and even then it won't stay engaged. It looks like it could be adjusted below the lever. I don't know if I want to raise or lower the part with threads that has the two nuts to tighten up the cable. Do you know if I want this to go up or down?

If things are grinding when you move the lever is not the lever or adjustment (which may be a separate issue). I really hope you skipped over mentioning properly clutching, as not using the clutch means you have been doing naughty things to those gears.

Make sure everything is at a complete stop. Fully depress the clutch. Wait a few seconds for anything else in the transmission to come to a stop. If you still get grinding, your clutch isnt properly adjusted & things are spinning when they shouldn't be.

If you haven't been clutching properly, change the hydraulic fluid & hope there isnt a lot of metal chunks or sparkly bits (really small metal pieces) in it.

Kubotabooks.com go grab the appropriate workshop manual

/ L3400 PTO grind
The PTO grinds on my L3400. I just tightened the cable all the way and it went from mild grind to heavy grind with a slight turning of the PTO. Do you think replacing the cable is the next step? Thank you.