BX trans "chattering".

/ BX trans "chattering". #1  

pipefitter

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 23
All, I was using my BX 23 this morning. I took it from high range to low range, and the trans chattered. It would move forward and reverse, but didn't sound very happy about it. The other hydraulics work fine. I'm going to drop the belly mower and look for something obvious. I have about 500 hours on it. Any ideas are much appreciated.

/ BX trans "chattering".
I took it to the dealer. The chatter is internal as it's shaking the wheel/ tire assembly whenever I tried to move it in forward or reverse. The service manager told me there were friction plates inside that can cause that problem once they wear out, but that he had never seen one wear out at 535 hours. I should know in a day or so what the problem is, and the cost.

/ BX trans "chattering". #3  
Maybe a broken differential lock?

/ BX trans "chattering".
I don't know. It wasn't locked when the problem started. I wish I had tried locking it and seeing what it did.

/ BX trans "chattering". #5  
Scary when that happens, always think expensive. One winter, I was helping my neighbor clear his driveway I have the rear tires loaded and pushing some snow, it started the chattering and wouldn't move against the load. I found out that one tire was low on air and the wheel was spinning in the tire. Added some air and all is fine, RELIEVED.

/ BX trans "chattering". #6  
Does it chatter only in 4 wheel drive? My BX23 same hours as yours had a worn out u-joint. The one on the front of the shaft. It "chattered" only when in 4 wheel drive.

/ BX trans "chattering".
It did it in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. Still waiting on the diagnosis from the dealer. Bad time of year for it to quit on me. :( Milkman, I wish it was low pressure. I have a sinking feeling this is taking aim at my wallet.

/ BX trans "chattering". #8  
I have a bx2230 that did that when it got hot. I changed the hydrostat transmission fluid/filter and used universal brand hydrostat fluid from a local farm supply store. Problem still existed. I researched and found that the problem was probably the lower quality fluid. I changed the filter/fluid again and used the more expensive Kubota UDT fluid and the problem disappeared. Learned a lesson about using non-kubota fluids. I also have a B1700 hydrostat unit and it has always done fine with the universal brand, but on the next change I will go back to the Kubota brand. I don't know what fluid you are using, but it might be a remedy. Hope you solve your problem.

/ BX trans "chattering".
I think the problem may have stemmed from being run low on hydro-fluid. I loaned it to a friend. (I know, I know). He called, and told me a line had split, he replaced it, and filled it with Kubota fluid. I don't know how long it was run low of fluid. I was using it this past Summer, and lost another hose. I didn't run it once I noticed it, but it may have been 15 minutes before I did. Anyway, the chattering is pretty nasty, and I'm hoping to get a call from the dealer this week.

/ BX trans "chattering". #10  
I think the problem may have stemmed from being run low on hydro-fluid. I loaned it to a friend. (I know, I know). He called, and told me a line had split, he replaced it, and filled it with Kubota fluid. I don't know how long it was run low of fluid. I was using it this past Summer, and lost another hose. I didn't run it once I noticed it, but it may have been 15 minutes before I did. Anyway, the chattering is pretty nasty, and I'm hoping to get a call from the dealer this week.

I`m going to bet when your friend ran it low or out of hyd-oil, likely tore up the friction plates & discs in the transmission. I had a friend like that once, yup he broke my tractor for me. So i fixed it (which was very costly), now i wont & dont even loan a screwdriver to anyone. When my so-called friend came back a year later, wanting to borrow some stuff from me again, i said sure why not, but not until i can borrow your pretty little wife for the night, first. I havent been bothered by him since, and that was around 20+yrs ago. Dont loan your equipment out, or it will cost you. When someone asks to borrow your orange tractor, tell them they have lots of them for sale down the street, go buy your own.