Oil & Fuel B21 oil level rising?

/ B21 oil level rising? #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Went to start B21 this morning. Engine oil was over the full mark by about half the distance from "full to add". Seems I recall last time I ran it it was a bit above also.

I recall on Peugeot 504 diesels, at least with the non bosch fuel pump, this meant the front seal was leaking fuel down into the crankcase. Wondering if the same may be possible here?

I am going to drain and refill, as I don't want to chance running it on diluted oil, then see what happens from there. I don't run it that often, so may well forget that plan. I know on the Peugeot, I ran for quite a while, thinking how fortunate I was it had stopped using oil. Ah, what bliss is ignorance . . . When it began "gaining" oil, I became concerned.

/ B21 oil level rising? #2  
Do you tend to stop and start it often, running it only for short durations so that it never comes up to temp?

/ B21 oil level rising?
Do you tend to stop and start it often, running it only for short durations so that it never comes up to temp?

Varies with what I am doing. As far as it "getting up to temp" goes, it never really seems to get hot according to the gage and I've been told that's normal. I have changed the thermostat with a Kubota item.

/ B21 oil level rising? #4  
Gaining oil in the engine crankcase can come from the injection pump or the hydraulic oil pump either of which can blow the back seal and leak diesel or oil into the engine crankcase. The smell test might be the best way to determine which is leaking.

/ B21 oil level rising?
Gaining oil in the engine crankcase can come from the injection pump or the hydraulic oil pump either of which can blow the back seal and leak diesel or oil into the engine crankcase. The smell test might be the best way to determine which is leaking.

I don't really smell anything definite. I think an oil and filter change can't hurt, then I will monitor it closely. I doubt I overfilled it last time, but maybe. Delo 400 is on the self locally, so I may use that.

/ B21 oil level rising?
I don't really smell anything definite. I think an oil and filter change can't hurt, then I will monitor it closely. I doubt I overfilled it last time, but maybe. Delo 400 is on the self locally, so I may use that.

So I ended up doing oil and filter, Rotella 10w 30. The Hydraulic fluid was low, so topped that off. I'll keep an eye on it.

How much of a hassle is pulling the pump?

/ B21 oil level rising? #7  
1. Open the bonnet.
2. Disconnect the accelerator rod
3. Remove the fuel cut off solenoid
4. Remove the fuel filter bracket (6) mounting screws.
5. Disconnect the delivery pipes (2) to the flow priority valve and remove the flow priority valve.
6. Disconnect the suction hose (7) and remove the hydraulic pump

/ B21 oil level rising?
1. Open the bonnet.
4. Remove the fuel filter bracket (6) mounting screws.
5. Disconnect the delivery pipes (2) to the flow priority valve and remove the flow priority valve.
6. Disconnect the suction hose (7) and remove the hydraulic pump

g'day. That's for the fuel (injector) pump, yes? I was wondering about the pump for the drive and implements. The suggestion is that is what
may be leaking into the crankcase, tho I have yet to prove it out.

Last edited:
   / B21 oil level rising? #9  
How much of a hassle is pulling the pump?
1. Open the bonnet.
4. Remove the fuel filter bracket mounting screws.
5. Disconnect the delivery pipes to the flow priority valve and remove the flow priority valve.
6. Disconnect the suction hose and remove the hydraulic pump
joea99 said:
That's for the fuel (injector) pump, yes?
No, the hydraulic pump
Straight from the manual

Last edited:
   / B21 oil level rising? #10  
You need to remove the fuel filter, rod and solenoid to get access for the rest, just have a look at the right side of engine and you will work it out.