Block heater

/ Block heater #1  

RPK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 Cub Cadet 1554
Hi all,
My L 3130 for all of it's life has lived in my heated shop. It looks like my tractor is going to be outside most of the winter helping with site work on my son's new house project. The site already has a 100 amp service. I am not much of a mechanic so I have a few questions..... Is it easy to install? Can it be left plugged in an on for days???? Could it overheat? Thanks for any and all help.

/ Block heater #2  
They are not difficult to install (ususally). 2 out of 3 I have done went quick and smooth, with the last one being a pita to get the freeze plug out. Read up on various techniques for removing freeze plugs prior to starting.
As far as use, block heaters are generally run on timers and not continuously. I have no idea what would happen if run 24/7, but my gut tells me the element life will be shorter and it will cost more in electricity. I run mine on a programmable timer. Worst case with your tractor being on the job site would be to set a timer to turn it on every work day for 3 hours or so.

/ Block heater #3  
They are not difficult to install (ususally). 2 out of 3 I have done went quick and smooth, with the last one being a pita to get the freeze plug out. Read up on various techniques for removing freeze plugs prior to starting.
As far as use, block heaters are generally run on timers and not continuously. I have no idea what would happen if run 24/7, but my gut tells me the element life will be shorter and it will cost more in electricity. I run mine on a programmable timer. Worst case with your tractor being on the job site would be to set a timer to turn it on every work day for 3 hours or so.

Exactly the right answer.I had a L3130 HST,kept in the garage for the most part but my L4240 Cab has to set out-side;block heater a couple hours before use,winter diesel and Powerservice.

/ Block heater #4  
I don't have much faith in the magnetic heaters. I got them for the Farmall C and then never used them mainly because the Farmall was so easy to start even in the winter.
That being said, I have two of them (I don't know if they work anymore) and if anybody wants them just PM me and I will ship them to you.

/ Block heater #5  
I have been curious at what temps block heaters are necessary on Kubotas (as well as installation). Messicks did a video where they went around starting a bunch of tractors on their lot until they found one that wouldn’t start due to a dead battery, but I don’t recall them saying how cold it was out. My current NH WM55 has started even down at around 20F and possibly lower. But I’m in northern WV so the temps are nowhere near as brutal as they are up in CT :)

/ Block heater #6  
They are not difficult to install (ususally). 2 out of 3 I have done went quick and smooth, with the last one being a pita to get the freeze plug out. Read up on various techniques for removing freeze plugs prior to starting. As far as use, block heaters are generally run on timers and not continuously. I have no idea what would happen if run 24/7, but my gut tells me the element life will be shorter and it will cost more in electricity. I run mine on a programmable timer. Worst case with your tractor being on the job site would be to set a timer to turn it on every work day for 3 hours or so.

I am wondering if the constant heating and cooling cycle might be a problem?

/ Block heater #7  
I am wondering if the constant heating and cooling cycle might be a problem?
Not any worse than firing your machine up for a quick job every day & probably a lot less stressfull.

/ Block heater #8  
Anyone have a install video for this?

I have a L3130 and would like to add a heater but don’t know where it goes and would like a video of install. They don’t cost much from what I can tell

/ Block heater #9  
Goes on left side of engine, forget if it is the front hole or back a little, raise hood, take off side panel and maybe raise loader up and block.

David

/ Block heater #10  
I think I saw a thread where a member drilled his out and the drill went too far, through the cylinder liner and into the cylinder cavity. NOT GOOD. Be careful when you do it.