Tires 7610 bar tires versus turf tires

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #1  

Koz

I just read a post by RobertM in the JD forum in which he implied that his new 7510 with bar tires is easier on the lawn than his old 7500 with turfs. I think I am interpreting his post correctly.

Maybe I missed it, but I do not remember reading anything about this.

I just got a 7610 with turfs and definitely notice that the front tires tear the lawn when turning hard, especially if in 4-wheel drive.

If the bar tires are easier on the lawn, I may see if my dealer will allow me to trade given that I only have 10 hours on my 7610.

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just got a 7610 with turfs and definitely notice that the front tires tear the lawn when turning hard, especially if in 4-wheel drive.
)</font>

In 4WD any tire is going to tear up the lawn, especially in a turn. The turf tread might be worse because the tire design incorporates a square shoulder and there is more tread contacting the ground to twist the turf. The R4 tread has more of a rounded shoulder but if the ground is soft it will dig in more than a turf. Also make sure your air pressure is right. The turf tires flex more which is good for the lawn, but if the tires are over inflated they will be stiff...

Hope this helps...

JP

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #3  
Let me see if I can help you out...

I mowed with my B7500 with STRAIGHT TURFS for the last two and a half years. The front tires always CUT circles when I turned in the yard. The wetter, the worse. I NEVER mow in 4WD. I NEVER mow with the loader mounted. I always watched tire pressure, and adjusted it so many times in effort to try and resolve the CUTTING problem that I lost count. It NEVER worked.

I traded my B7500 for a B7510 last weekend to take advantage of the 0% financing instead of the bank !@#$% me. I actually came out at a wash financially, and I've now got a new tractor with some nice upgrades. I started the ball rolling by looking at replacing the tires on my B7500. When I found out the sizes had to be JUST SO in order to keep the gearing in proper ratio and prevent overwind in the gear case, I just about aborted the mission. I couldn't see spending $850-$900 for four new boots with rims.
When I looked into the new B7510, my dealer looked up all the tire options. I was almost set on going with R4's until I saw the bar turfs. The rears are really a cross between a Ditch Witch trencher (zig zag lug pattern) and the agricultural tires, but they do not have five inch high ribs, only about two inches. The ribs are close enough together that you do not get a rough ride, nor do they tear up the lawn. I will say, the rears are a little smaller in diameter than the STANDARD TURF, but they do look very aggressive, hen actually they are very gentle.

I have a ditch that I turn up and out of when I mow, and my STRAIGHT TURFS always slipped and needed differential lock (still tore up the lawn with "peel outs") or needed 4WD to minimize my damage. These new BAR TURFS are SWEEEET. No slip, no skids, no marks in the lawn - just pure traction. The only thing is they leave ziz-zag patterns in the bare muddy spots after a rain, but who cares. They do not hold mud between the lugs like STANDARD TURFS, which only dries out and is deposited all over my asphalt driveway and garage floor the next time I take the tractor out - only to be tracked into the house on Juniors shoes.

The fronts, well they are where the problem is really solved. The front turfs that come with the BAR TURF tire set are really rounded on the edges. They are a larger lugged version of the standard turf, but they are really REALLY rounded. I have mowed a little over six hours in the past week and have NO... ABSOLUTELY NO complaints about the BAR TURFS I have on this B7510. They are NOT very common on the dealer lots, from what I hear, but my dealer said that after they saw them, their next tractor orders will come with the BAR TURFS. I anticipate that the BAR TURFS can and will tear up the lawn IF I am moving at a quick rate of speed and crank the wheel, but if you have seen my Lawn Striping Attachment post, you will see that to cut on a diagonal leaves alot of sharper turns, and to date, I cannot find any areas that the BAR TURFS have damaged the lawn anywhere near the STANDARD TURFS. In fact, it has been wet here, and certain areas along the ditch would have required me to go with 4WD to get moving, and the BARS just grab and never slip, or tear as I turn out of the wet areas. I have seen the fronts MOVE the grass, and even LIFT it as I turn real sharp, but after you are out of the turn, you can look back and not see black topsoil. I couldn't make that claim with the STANDARD TURFS.

Maybe I should tell you how I really feel, huh? I really like them and am very happy I spent the $50 to upgrade. I will try to take a few pictures of them to post tomorrow. In the meantime, you can look up the rear BAR TURFS as I think they are made by Goodyear, and the fronts are Firestone Turf & Field, or something like that.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really happy with these tires.

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #4  
For those interested, take a gander at the rear bar turfs here.

Attachments

• 438557-Rear Bar Turf.JPG
    438557-Rear Bar Turf.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 944
   / 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #5  
... and the fronts

Attachments

• 438560-Front Bar Turf.JPG
    438560-Front Bar Turf.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 627
   / 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #6  
Thanks for posting those pics. They were very helpful. Haven't been able to find anything on Kubota's website or in their literature showing the Bar Turfs.

Now I know exactly what to get when it's time to order my machine. Those darn regular turf tires end up getting caked with clay and turning into "racing slicks" when doing dirt work, spin way too easy on the damp spots on the lawn, and are worthless in the heavy snow. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Those bar turfs look like a real nice compromise. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires
Oops, Bandit is certainly right about the pics being useful. I apologize for not saying so earlier, given that I started this thread!

I have to say that this is a bit frustrating to me. Unfortunately I never remember reading about the rutting problem with turf tires until after I had the tractor. I have a call into my dealer, but given I have 14 hours on the 7610 i'm certain that he will no longer swap for the bar/turf tires without significant $ leaving my pocket.

Prior to purchasing the tractor, I told the dealer that 60 to 70% of my use is mowing lawn, that I wanted to avoid messing up my finish lawn and was willing to trade some traction for loader use. My dealer strongly recommended turf tires, and other dealers that I spoke with said the same. Interestingly, the turf tires have done fine with traction when ive used the loader but have failed on what they were supposed to excel at! It appears that this is a problem the dealers are not aware of.

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #8  
I am more impressed with them everyday! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was removing some bushes last night and with the 550# ballast block I made, what traction! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I will say that if you don't watch the go pedal (as I did when trying to push some bushes over) you will tear up the lawn. But as I told my wife, it just peeled off the grass blades even with the ground - they'll grow back! besides, no more problems with the lawn like with the turfs!

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #9  
I will offer my findings...
My dealer told me before I traded my B7500 on a new B7510 that I needed to purchase the BAR TURF tires WITH the rims if I wanted to put bar turfs on my B7500 because of the tire/gear ratio issue.

It's funny how I NOW find that front TURF TIRES (Carlisle Brand) are within TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH of the diameter of the front BAR TURFS (Firestone Brand), and the rear tires (both Goodyear) are a COUPLE of INCHES different. What's the deal here with the gear ration now?

You might just try to purchase the BAR tires directly from tire dealers, and do it yourself. I'll bet it would be close to half the cost of tires and rims from Kubota ($850 I was quoted - tires w/ rims). It appears to me the gear ratio issue can't mean that much... I got the bar turfs on my new B7510, and they had to order the tires in. When they came, the front Bar Turfs were two different profiles, the same tread design, two different diameter sizes, but were sized the same on the sidewall. The dealer ordered what he though would be a match to the actual tire I wanted (more rounded) that was already on the new B7510, but it too came out over one half inch shorter (same profile, tread, etc... though). Kubota told the dealer it was okay that the tires were that much different in diameter (front tires), but I want them to look the same, and believe me, on a smaller tire the half inch was noticeable. The dealer kindly ordered TWO new matching front tires, which I'll pick up tonight.

/ 7610 bar tires versus turf tires #10  
Robert...I am glad you got your tire situation worked out. I love the bar turfs. More dealers should order these tires as standard equipment. Have fun with your new toy.