Snow Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I'm sorry to rehash a subject that has been discussed at length in the past but I'm hoping to get some newer information. I have a Landpride STB1596 FEL plow with factory installed crossover relief valve. I adjust the angle with a W&R Long 3rd function valve which, without the ability to feather the hydraulic flow, slams the blade back and forth violently. This has been a common complaint here with a great variety of solutions. There are so many types of FEL plows out there that there appears to be no single solution that will work for all.

The cheapest answer seems to be a fixed bi directional flow restrictor but what flow rate is appropriate for my setup? Adjustable rate valves are more expensive but they solve the issue of which fixed rate valve to buy. Several posters recommended this one from Surpluscenter.com.

3/8 NPT 8 GPM Prince WFC-6 In-Line Flow Control | Flow Control Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

Then there is the question of where to place the valves so they don't defeat the purpose of the crossover relief valve. Some posters say to put them at the inlet ports of the cylinders (A in the pic) and others say the best place is on the connector hoses (B in the pic). None of these recommendations apply specifically to the STB1596 plow however.

P1060504a.jpg

I'm no expert but it seems to me the best option is "B". Since the above valves restrict the flow in only one direction, they won't restrict any return flow. Option "A" might work as well as long as they are not bi-directional but the valves would be more difficult to install.

Any comments would be welcome.

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #2  
Without a doubt, I would use position B on each hose. Get 2 .031 orifice fittings here. Part #1201192

Worse case is that you might have to drill them out to .045. But I would try the .031 first. ;)

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #3  
While not the exact same application, I'll provide this in the event it helps.

Kubota uses flow restrictors on snowblower, blades, etc on the B and L series attachments to slow down the controls for chute rotation, angle, etc. The ones I've run across are a simple drilled 0.063" diameter hole within a fitting. They are typically placed on one end of the cylinder only. (Only one is used per function (example: left/right).

Added in edit: Posted at same time as Post #2.

I like the idea of using a smaller orifice and drilling if speed is too slow.

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #4  
   / Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #5  
Without a doubt, I would use position B on each hose. Get 2 .031 orifice fittings here. Part #1201192

Worse case is that you might have to drill them out to .045. But I would try the .031 first. ;)

^^^^
This.

We have 1/4" and 1/2" restrictors in stock too :thumbsup:

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #6  
A cheap and effective way to slow down abrupt hydraulics is to use smaller hoses. 1/8" works well - especially with cold oil in the winter. My 2 cents.

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #7  

Agree, except the simple orfice style restrictors are functional in both directions so only one is required.

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #8  
An easy way to slow down abrupt hydraulics is to use smaller hoses. 1/8" is a good size - especially with cold oil in the winter. The longer flow path works better (and quieter) than an orifice.
There's no valid reason that a small diameter hose is better than an orfice style restricor. Either would have to be sized properly to be satisfactory.

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow #9  
Agree, except the simple orfice style restrictors are functional in both directions so only one is required.
While I agree with you, I have found that in some cases 2 seem to work better for whatever reason?? :confused: They are cheap and it does not hurt to use 2 and then your covered. ;)

/ Controlling Angle Speed on a FEL Plow
Thanks for your help everyone. I ordered a pair of .031 fixed orifice restrictors from Hydraulicstore.com. Thanks for the link Brian. I also ordered a pair of adjustable flow restrictors from surpluscenter.com for use with the cylinders on a York rake.