Combustion question

/ Combustion question #1  

fydollaho

Tractor
Kubota B2650
Why do Kubota diesel fumes smell so much better than my 6.0 Powerstroke which smells horrible. And, just to head it off, your Cummins and Duramax doesn’t have the delicious Kubota smell either, so shut it.

/ Combustion question #2  
My VW TDI smelled ok until I did the first timing belt at 100,000 miles. It is now due for new injector nozzles, over 300,000 miles on the current set of nozzles, over 510,000 miles on the catalytic onverter. My 2004 Dodge Cummins with a catalytic converter smells much better than my VW. MY VW does smell better after a few hours of high speed driving suggesting that the converter cleans up after some heat. My JD does not have any emissions stuff so it is stinky enough, but not as stinky as some of these 4,000 hour tractors I see when getting hay. I would bet these 4-8,000 hour tractors would smell better and have less smoke if they got fresh injector nozzles.

/ Combustion question #3  
Kubota`s always smell sweet... Powerjokes, never.

/ Combustion question #4  
My neighbors dodge cummins smells to high ****. My 6.0 powerstroke with 250k has virtually no smell. Both my kubotas don't either.

/ Combustion question #5  
My days on a diesel-electric submarine (an 'O' Class boat) always had me craving a barbecued steak. This happened when we were surfaced and I was up the fin as lookout... fumes had me drooling. :thumbsup:

/ Combustion question #6  
My neighbor, has a few diesels, cars trucks tractors... for the longest time i couldn't figure out why i smelled french fries, then sometimes fish, but never seemed to catch a whiff of that old black crude from mother earth. So i got up the courage (and a boost of quick energy) to get out of my rockin`chair, grabbed my cane, waddled on over to the neighbors just to ask him... "what-in-the-**** is going on over here, every time i see & hear you run your tractors, or drive your diesel vehicles, i always get hungry just from the smell of your vehicles running". He chuckled, looked me right in the eye and said, "get with the times oldman, i collect all the cooking oils from all the local restaurants and process it to burn in all my diesels". Well dumb old me thought about that for a moment, and then i asked him why did he do that. The young little wizeazz whippersnapper says to me... "because it`s FREE you old coot". Ohhhh man, these kids today, they got all the answers.

/ Combustion question #7  
And the answer is... ?: No consensus.

Let's assume OP is burning the same fuel in both machines. We can eliminate variances in fuel supply. Perhaps. Unless he has "winter" fuel in one and "summer" fuel in the other. To me, it seems vehicles (diesel and gas) smell worse in winter. Ever notice that sometimes in the wintertime you can walk out of the woods and "smell the road" if a vehicle has passed a few minutes earlier?

Are we to assume both motors don't consume motor oil?

So if it's not fuel, is it how efficient, or completely, the engine burns it?

/ Combustion question #9  
and walk behind my Jeep eco-diesel and it's smells like a over used and under sized litter box because of the DEF, not fun hooking up a trailer when it's idling - but my VW TDI never smells of the DEF, nor did the last VW TDI (duh, it didn't use DEF) but it never ever had any diesel odor. Now, my old '05 GM D-max stunk like a city bus, but it never ever smoked.

I honestly think most of it is how the computer is set up, I do notice that the Jeep definitely creates more power after it's well warmed up, it's a dog until there's some heat. The VWs heat up faster than any other diesel I've ever driven, I'd say they rival many gas auto engines in the winter, so go figure!

/ Combustion question #10  
Why do Kubota diesel fumes smell so much better than my 6.0 Powerstroke which smells horrible. And, just to head it off, your Cummins and Duramax doesn稚 have the delicious Kubota smell either, so shut it.

This is a great question ! I have 3 Kubotas and one MF that are diesel. Two of the Kubotas are theoretically identical B2150's. The one I have had since the late 1980's has ALWAYS had this sweet smell once it gets warm and is being worked actively. NONE of the others have this (almost addictive) odor. What a lovable smell !!

Never been able to figure it out. I've owned 4 VW diesels. The older ones just stunk like most diesels. The 2015 Beetle was totally different with an oddly different odor which got into the cab once in a while with bad wind directions I suppose. The other B2150, our BX2200 and my MF 2660 Perkins all have uninteresting, ordinary, diesel fume smells. Have never seen any other truck or tractor with the "good smell."

I would sure love to know how and why the one B2150 I have had for more than 25 years (and is actually in the best condition of all of them) has such a unique sweet smell.