BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
My BX25 does primary duty as a dirt digger/mover and when I bought it (used) a month back I had the tires filled with Rim Guard immediately. I run the recommended 18PSI front and 22PSI rear pressure. I was noticing at first that the wheels would chatter and slip/catch/slip in the wheel causing the chattering. After another couple weeks I noticed that instead of spinning tires as I was pushing into a hillside with the loader, the tire(s) would stop moving. At first I thought the axle HST unit was dying, until I leaned over and saw that the wheel was gleefully spinning in the motionless tire. I also noted a shiny damp glaze of rim guard around the wheel/tire interface.

So this past Sunday I removed the back wheels and tires and took them to be pumped out, cleaned, tubes installed and the rim guard pumped back into the tubes. I hope like **** that this solves the issue!

I'm guessing that this is not a normally seen thing, but I suspect the reason the little BX has the issue for me is that the 12" diameter wheel does not near the bead surface area of say a B or L series unit. I suspect that the little wheels with less surface area to grip on could not take the forces while having a fluid trying to lubricate the interface.

I'll let you all know if the slipping rim returns. The bad part is that if they slip now, they will tear the valve stem from the tube and really screw me good and proper. I really did not want tubes, but I see no other solution.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #2  
I had the same problem. In my case my tractor wasn't climbing a hill it normally did. I thought it was a problem with the HST and even took it to the dealer. I brought it home and it still would not climb the hill. I finally took it and nosed up to a tree and like you, finally leaned out and saw the rim spinning inside the tire. I just added enough air that it stopped doing it. In my case I tires were low on air. Its kind of hard to check the air in the tire with rim guard in.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #3  
Personally, I've never spun the rim in the tire even when digging into pretty dense stuff. I don't have Rim Guard though and I run turfs, maybe that's the difference.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes.
I had the same problem. In my case my tractor wasn't climbing a hill it normally did. I thought it was a problem with the HST and even took it to the dealer. I brought it home and it still would not climb the hill. I finally took it and nosed up to a tree and like you, finally leaned out and saw the rim spinning inside the tire. I just added enough air that it stopped doing it. In my case I tires were low on air. Its kind of hard to check the air in the tire with rim guard in.

Now that you mention the hill, I did have the same thing happen. I also thought it was the HST slipping in just the rear because I was watching the front tires spin, the tractor was stopped, and the rear tires where not working. I totally had a heart sinking moment as I considered the HST failure of the tractor I just purchased.

But shortly after I became aware of the rim spinning issue. I did check my pressure, and I called the tire goober and asked him what he thought. He suggested over-inflating to 30 PSI and let the tractor sleep 2 days to allow the tire to press the Rim Guard out of the interface and maybe grab purchase on the wheel bead surface. So I did try that, over inflate, drop back to 22 psi, and went out and they pretty much had no changes.

I hope that the tubes and dry wheel/tire will not slip, because if they do... it's game over. Valve step sheared off and flat. And if I get a cherry tree thorn or anything else stuck into the tube, big pain follows. The thought of a tube is not a good one no matter how you consider it.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #5  
I don't know what I have my rears at but probably no more than 20 psi. I don't remember exactly what I had in the rears when my were slipping but probably 5 psi or less. I bought a special tire gauge meant for checking "wet" tires. It was fairly easy to find and didn't cost more than $10. It looks like a regular tire gauge, the old fashinoned kind were a stick comes out the base of it.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes.
I picked the rims and tires up this afternoon and installed them. Then installed the modified skid steer tooth bar, removed the backhoe and installed the 3 point arm kit and then the 72" back blade.

Saturday we have a job lined up to repair a quarter mile gravel driveway as well as repair the lost drainage ditch along the side, replace 2 of the 8" PVC pipes that cross under the driveway to the woods that taper to a creek. We are expecting 2 days work on this project. I hope the little BX is up to the task.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #7  
The Day I had my rear BX tires foam filled is the day I left my tire problems behind...

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #8  
I picked the rims and tires up this afternoon and installed them. Then installed the modified skid steer tooth bar, removed the backhoe and installed the 3 point arm kit and then the 72" back blade.

Saturday we have a job lined up to repair a quarter mile gravel driveway as well as repair the lost drainage ditch along the side, replace 2 of the 8" PVC pipes that cross under the driveway to the woods that taper to a creek. We are expecting 2 days work on this project. I hope the little BX is up to the task.

You should post some pics in here of the job while your doing it. I find it interesting to see what others do with their BX`s.

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #9  
I've run rimguard in the rears of my BX23D for nearly 13 yrs and I've never had a problem with the tires spinning on the rims. I normally run Bar tires and keep them aired up to 22psi. They are filled to about 3/4. I also have a set of turfs filled to around 1/2.
Both sets of tires are OEM Titans.
The BX23 is my main finish mower (4 acres). I used to be motivated and swapped the wheels around based on use and season but those days are long past. I've run just the Bars over the past 4 yrs or so.
Could be something with the tires....

/ BX25 Tires slipping, moving RimGard into tubes. #10  
To the op. Do you have R-4's? They don't seat on the bead the way that turfs and bar tires do. They are designed to fall off the rim if you have a flat tire. I'm wondering if that's the issue.