Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Hi everyone. About a month ago my FEL center hydraulic cylinder was leaking and with the help from the TractorByNet group, I removed the cylinder, had it repaired and re-installed it. The tractor was working well but the FEL and BH seemed slower than normal.

I stopped by my dealer and inquired about which kubota hydraulic fluid they used when they serviced my BX23 recenty and I bought a gallon. I figured with the past leaking cylinder issue I most likely lost a lot of fluid. When I checked today I noticed the stick was dry. I added about a gallon until it came to the top and I might have overfilled. The tractor seemed to be running well after I completed the fill, except I started seeing fluid on the ground in areas were I had been working. I looked under the tractor and there was a steady flow of hydraulic fluid sreaming down on the rear left side of the tractor. I lift the seat and crawled underneath and I can not tell where this fluid is coming from. I can hear a draining sound and not sure if anyone has had something like this has happen to anyone else. I added a picture to give members an idea of what I am seeing. I kept the tractor parked and it just continued streaming like in the picture. I think the FEL and BH still works but not sure. Any ideas on what this could be? Thank-you

Attachments

• BX23Leak.JPG
    BX23Leak.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 529
Last edited:
   / Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #2  
Does it drain only when running, and does it take a little bit (to warm up) before it starts draining?

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid
Hard to say since this started right after I overfilled the fluid and noticed it a little while I started working with BX23. I didn't hit anything and was working lightly. When I noticed the heavy leak, I parked it, but raised the wheels off the ground so I could see underneath with the FEL and BH forced into the ground. With the tractor turned off and not running, but with tires up in the air it just kept leaking like in the picture.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #4  
I was wondering if you possibly overfilled it and after it warmed up it started flowing out from a vent or overflow. Did it eventually stop flowing? If so and you start and it seems fine for a bit until it is warm again that could be the case. That’s my only thought. There are quite a few threads on the site about overfilling the hydraulic fluid but I didn’t see anything quick about leaks observed afterwards, although I would think the tank would almost have to have a vent to prevent damage. Does it look like it sprayed out (under pressure) anywhere or just simply leaked/drained out?

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid
Good question - it's a steady streaming leak (not spraying) Not sure if you can see the picture I took and posted - if you look close you can see the stream of hydro fluid dripping in a steady line. I left it but tommorrow I can check if it stops after warming up.
When I shut it off and left it, it was still streaming.

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #6  
This is likely the cause. While I do not know this exact model, it's easy to overfill Kubotas and blowing it out is how Kubota seems to handle these things. I may --err, ahh, perhaps--have done it myself. These small tractors can read dry on the stick until you run it, shut it off and then check again. Probably way overfilled but that's an armchair guess from afar. .

I was wondering if you possibly overfilled it and after it warmed up it started flowing out from a vent or overflow. Did it eventually stop flowing? If so and you start and it seems fine for a bit until it is warm again that could be the case. That’s my only thought. There are quite a few threads on the site about overfilling the hydraulic fluid but I didn’t see anything quick about leaks observed afterwards, although I would think the tank would almost have to have a vent to prevent damage. Does it look like it sprayed out (under pressure) anywhere or just simply leaked/drained out?

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #7  
Reguarding the dipstick reading dry, any time this happens, replace and pull the dipstick a 2nd time, this will generally give you an accurate reading.
A certain brand of industrial engine required this technique to get an accurate reading as the first time always read dry.
I have never run into this problem with hydraulics before.

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #8  
redman135;4923211.. . I have never run into this problem with hydraulics before.[/QUOTE said:
I have seen it several times on Kubotas. Not exactly like this but close enough to consider it.
For starters, overfill your front axle and it blows it out up by the battery.

Always consider the easier solution to a problem first.

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #9  
From a leak that size, you probably lost quite a bit of oil. Check the dipstick per the manual and see how it reads now. Normally, this is done with the BH completely retracted and the FEL on the ground. If the oil level is high, drain some until normal. If the leak continues, the problem could be elsewhere.

/ Kubota BX232 - Major leak after adding a gallon of hydraulic fluid #10  
My BX22 only hold 3 gallons so no doubt you way overfilled it. There is a vent on top of the transmission housing. Maybe the oil is going out the vent and running down the axle trumpet, but that looks like an awfully concentrated stream of oil for that scenario. Hope you didn't blow the axle seal out. First thing to do is get the fluid level at the full mark on the dipstick, and then see what you have.