Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ?

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #31  
what about using a in line check valve and put it just behind the quick disconnect fitting?

CPIFF Inline Check Valve
"This valve allows free flow in one direction and blocked flow in the reverse direction."

Would kind of suck if you wanted to run your PHD in the other direction or angle your plow to the other side...

Also, decreasing the volume of trapped fluid from maybe a quarts worth of line to a teaspoon of line would make things worse. As you hook up the QDs you have to compress things. As hydraulic fluid is incompressible, that means the lines move ever so slightly. If you drop that down to a teaspoon of line that's all steel fittings, you aren't going to be able to push in those plungers at all.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #32  
If you are referring to one way male Pioneer or AG style QD's on rear remotes, your method works fine. I'm referring to FEL mounted flat faced and 2 way Pioneer style connectors controlled by a 3rd function valve. Both the tractor and implement sides of these QD's must be depressurized before they will connect properly.
I'm talking about skid-steer, flat-face couplers in three locations: my rear remotes valves (3), my FEL joystick valve, and the front aux hydraulics on my loader which is controlled by a Surplus Center diverter valve via the loader joystick.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ?
This problem has been driving me crazy for years and has been discussed here many times in the past. I brought it up again in the hope that one of the geniuses here at TBN had found a cheap easy fix or some new product had hit the market. Some new ideas were mentioned and thanks to everyone who posted.

I've come to the conclusion that spill free quick connect hydraulic couplers are neither quick nor spill free. Some work better than others and from the posts, opinions vary. After spending a fair amount of time on the issue, I replaced all my flat faced couplers with the Pioneer style 2 way type. I used Pioneer breakaway female couplers on the FEL bulkheads of my tractors. That way, I can just pull the coupler apart even if the tractor side of the hydraulic circuit isn't completely depressurized. Yeah, there is some oil leakage but I'll take quick over spill free every time when I'm trying to get a job done. The breakaway couplers also give some protection when I get into a thicket with the grapple and snag a hose on a branch.

For pressure bound implements, which for me are the biggest problem, I used Pioneer male couplers on the hose ends since they're cheaper and less prone to damage. They can be easily depressurized by tapping the ball valve end in an old frying pan or on the side of the implement frame. For my frequently used implements, I made up rigs from spare parts lying around. They protect the hose end couplers during storage and allow me to bleed off any built up pressure before installing. Although more expensive, the same idea can be used with flat faced couplers if preferred.

P1060520a.jpg

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.