Snow Snow blower

/ Snow blower #1  

Gcorron

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25
OK, looking for some opinions here. I am looking at a Nortrac snow blower, they're a good bit cheaper than the everything attachments one, and the reviews are quite good.

The 60" model says 25 hp tractor. Does anyone have a BX-25 with a 60" blower? Does it handle it? We do not get big snows very often in No. Va. but it does happen occasionally.

Opinions? Experience?

George

/ Snow blower #2  
OK, looking for some opinions here. I am looking at a Nortrac snow blower, they're a good bit cheaper than the everything attachments one, and the reviews are quite good.

The 60" model says 25 hp tractor. Does anyone have a BX-25 with a 60" blower? Does it handle it? We do not get big snows very often in No. Va. but it does happen occasionally.

Opinions? Experience?

George

Call up whomever is selling you the Nortrac.

Ask them for a price for the gearbox for the model you are interested in and if they have any in stock.

If no stock or not next day delivery, Nortrac is not for you.

Dave M7040

/ Snow blower #3  
I'm not familiar with the quality of that blower, however, I know it's made in China. In my opinion, I would buy a blower that has been made domestically and has a proven track record. The above poster makes a good issue concerning parts. This is the kind of purchase that you are planning to probably have for a long time. I wouldn't make the decision on price. I'm also thinking that a 60" blower would be too big for a BX-25. I wouldn't go bigger than 52".

/ Snow blower #4  

Opinions? Experience?

George

I used a Woods SS60 behind my old B7100HST for quite a few years. The 60 inch blower was rated at 25HP minimum. The B7100 had only 17 PTO HP but worked remarkably well. It was a bit slow in deep heavy snow though. The SS60 probably wouldn't have worked behind a 17 HP gear tractor though. The HST has an infinite speed range in reverse and can go as slow as necessary depending on conditions.

/ Snow blower #5  
I run a 60" behind a 20 hp manual shifter and here in very snowy Quebec.
It is all about technique, you will soon learn all sorts of tricks.
With a hydrostatic it would be very much easier.
Big trick is not taking on more snow than the blower con digest.

/ Snow blower #6  
I used to run a 60" blower on a 25HP tractor (18 PTO HP) no problem. If you have deep snow you just have to go a little slower.

/ Snow blower #7  
The Bx25 is only 23hp and probably less at the pto. I bought the front 50” Bx2750D. Works good and have had to slow down on some of the deep and wet snows. Ive already have had to rebuild it due to my gravel lane, lesson learned. It will probably work, may have to slow down but what about getting parts?

/ Snow blower #8  

Opinions? Experience?

George

Have you looked into the Woodmaxx SB60? I looked at the Nortrac but it didn't look beefy enough and the 500 shipping charge turned me off. Woodmaxx SB60 is a little more expensive, well built, mad in USA and is about same price as Nortrac after shipping-Woodmaxx also has 5% discount for veterans and free shipping. I cant comment on operation, installation etc because I haven't received it yet-next week or week after. I ended up paying $2,600 for the SB60 with electric chute, deflector, wiring and controller and HID LED light and free shipping. The Nortrac was 1700 plus 500 for shipping ($2,200) and manual shoot deflector only. judge for yourself on build, quality and features.

Almost forgot-it comes with a PTO shaft-you have to cut it to length.

/ Snow blower
Thanks for the opinions guys!!! Really what I needed.
I agree with all here, and when it is feasible to buy American, I do. If the price isn't exorbitantly different, it's a cinch!

cdaigle430 I appreciate your post, I had not even looked at the Woods line, but sure have now. Will likely be buying from them. Yep, makes a big difference that they offer electric, AND hydraulic shoots. Heck, even their manual versions looked a lot better than the Nortrac considering it mounted on the ROPS bar.

We rarely get snows over about 8" at a time here in Northern Virginia, but we DO occasionally get the 24", which is a monster for us. Then the problem becomes where to put it all? Even with a blower, I will likely use the bucket if it is under a foot because it's no problem. Thanks again guys, as always, your opinions and experience are invaluable.

Supposed to get 2-4" this weekend which is unusual for us, it normally only really starts snowing at Christmas and a bit later. Last year we had 2 tiny little snows that had my tractor sitting all winter, and that's unusual in itself........but Algore is still wrong!

George

/ Snow blower #10  
Have you looked into the Woodmaxx SB60? I looked at the Nortrac but it didn't look beefy enough and the 500 shipping charge turned me off. Woodmaxx SB60 is a little more expensive, well built, mad in USA and is about same price as Nortrac after shipping-Woodmaxx also has 5% discount for veterans and free shipping. I cant comment on operation, installation etc because I haven't received it yet-next week or week after. I ended up paying $2,600 for the SB60 with electric chute, deflector, wiring and controller and HID LED light and free shipping. The Nortrac was 1700 plus 500 for shipping ($2,200) and manual shoot deflector only. judge for yourself on build, quality and features.

Almost forgot-it comes with a PTO shaft-you have to cut it to length.

WoodMax is NOT made in U.S.A.