Need Help Choosing A Tractor

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #1  

RobbieBones

Silver Member
I know there are numerous threads about choosing tractors but with so many it gets little confusing.

I live on 3 1/2 gently sloped acres with a lot of rocks/boulders. The type where you find a dirt spot dig a hole and hit more rock type acres. Pretty much have all the surface rock where I want them. It takes about an hour to cut the grass with a John Deere 325 48" deck. I also have 100' x 150' food plot. (Food plot really is the nicest part of the property!) Driveway is 250ft paved. I currently own a 2007 B21 with hydraulic thumb and the 1996 JD 325.

The issue is this.

I sold my 1989 plow Jeep and the John Deere 325 transmission is toast among other things! So I'm in the market for tractor which I could attach a snowblower on for the driveway and walks (5ft wide), use it to cut the lawn, and run attachments for the food plot and normal landscape needs.

I'm trying to decide if I should sell the B21 and put the money towards a Bx series or a B series tractor with Backhoe, mower, blower etc. Or if I could swing it, keep the B21 and buy a tractor for just mowing and snowblower and attachments. Thought about a rear snowblower for the B21, but still need a mower, and the pto HP is not the greatest for blower or attachment for the food plot, and the loader is not quick detached. I would really like to have only one tractor and use it since I don't have the room to store both in the garage.

I'm looking at the BX 23S or the B2601. Would I miss the B21's backhoe and strength? Is a B2601 too big to cut the grass???, seems like the BX series would be the right size for the lawn, but not the backhoe or attachments. Is a B series too big for mowing???

Which tractor would you buy?

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #2  
Personally, I would keep the B21. It's set up for digging and I'm guessing any back hoe attachment for a B is about $8,000. I would go with the BX: set it for up cutting grass in the spring and summer; then set it up for blowing snow in the winter. The only downside is that there's no cab to protect you from that blowing snow.

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #3  
I agree with AStanton. Keep the B21 and go for the BX. IMO, the B2601 is on the edge of being too much tractor for your needs and will require more storage space.

There is a lot to be said for having 2 tractors. Yes, it is twice the maintenance and storage is always a concern. The time saved swapping implements over the years really adds up though. It's always a comfort to know you have a backup if you get one stuck in mud or snow. I'm not sure of your budget but if storing tractors is that big an issue, I would get the BX and trade the B21 toward a BH, mower, etc.

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #4  
I have just under two acres and went with a B2601 and use it for mowing with a 54" deck. It really depends on the obstacles in your property, but I make it around my lot pretty good with it and cut the entire lot in about 45 mins.

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #5  
I really like my BX23S. However, I will admit that there are times when I wish it were just a little bit stronger when using the FEL or BackHoe. I am clearing some woods and I am doing a lot of stump removal and pushing of large rocks. When I got the EA 55" Wicked Root grapple, it opened up a lot more things I can do. The only issue is the weight of the grapple. While a lot lighter than most other grapples, it really does use up a bit of the lift capacity. Even with that, when I grab onto a large stump and try to move it, there are times I picked the back of the tractor off the ground, even with wheel weights and backhoe on (not a great feeling haha). As for the backhoe and the stumps, there are time when I have to dig a large hole to break off the roots, or break out an axe and cut them off. For normal digging of trenches or a hole, it works great.

The one thing I keep having to remember is that when I get done with this initial clearing, I won't really be using it as hard as I am today. After that, it will just be maintenance of the property, and the BX23S will be more than enough for that. If you are looking to just maintain your property, the 23S would probably work fine. If you are planning on doing a lot of heavy lifting or digging, you may want to spend a little more and get the B2301/B2601. From what I can tell, the B2301 is a bit smaller than the B2601, but I think that is just because the tires are a bit smaller.... but someone else may know for sure. I can't answer how they will do for mowing, as I have a Husqvarna lawn tractor for that chore. :)

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #6  
Suggest you keep your B21 if it's in good shape and you have room. If you are in rocky ground, you will probably continue to have occasion to use it. As for a mowing/snowblowing machine to replace the 325, you could go with either a BX subcompact - not too much bigger than your old JD but built for heavy mowing/snowblowing, or go one size up with a B2301 or 2601. Those small B machines are just enough bigger than a BX that you can do more things with them and come with some nice improvements: bigger engine, 3 range HST, more lifting power, more ground clearance and more traction. You can mount either a front or rear blower on either the BX or B machines, although the front blowers are more costly. Our BX has been a reliable workhorse; ditto for my cousin's B. Totally up to you which way to go. Don't worry about going too big... there are owners who have 50 hp tractors on 1-2 acres :thumbsup:, but the larger you go, the more explaining is needed with the "family CFO"!

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #7  
I also would keep the B21(sweet little rig) and purchase a new "mower".

/ Need Help Choosing A Tractor #8  
You didn't mention a budget, but the setup I would go for would be to keep the B21 and get a cabbed B-series for the mowing and snow blowing tasks. Mowing and snow work are both great times for a cab. A MMM and front snow blower on that machine would be great. Two tractors are handy to have, especially when has the BH.