That unsettling knocking...

/ That unsettling knocking... #1  

Jackrabbit_Slim

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710
Have a used Kubota B2710 HST with 211 hrs. on the clock. Believe the original owner over filled the HST to just about twice the height called for on the dipstick. Haven't run yet, and won't 'til I get my fluids fixed up.

I'm new to this HST thing, and wonder if this might account for a knocking sound I hear from the rear end? Or is that normal?

Also wondering about oil filters. My dealer didn't have any in stock, so I went to UAP/Napa. Fellow sold me a filter that looks substantially shorter than what's on there now, but, in light of the HST situation, I'm not certain the right filter is on there now.

Would appreciate any observations/advice. Thanks.

/ That unsettling knocking... #2  
I have a B2910 that is almost 2 years old and has 331 hours on it. I don't hear any knocking sounds...

Maybe you should order filters from tractorsmart.com if you dealer doesn't have them. Why take a chance with something that might not do the job properly?

I am not sure if over filling would cause harm or not. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Hope all turns out well with your tractor...again, no knocking sound from the rear on mine. Is there a chance you are hearing a clicking sound that comes from the rear wheels being loose? I guess not since you apparently are not using the tractor...just a thought...

/ That unsettling knocking...
Thanks for the feedback, Bill. Unfortunately, I live in Canada, and getting anything up from the States is always a problem. Believe me, when I look at some of the sites selling implements down there and compare prices with what we pay up here, I'd give my eye teeth for a greencard. Just came back from town, and paid $14.50 Cdn. for 5 U.S. gallons of diesel.

Your advice on using OEM filters sits well with me. I've always liked to go that route, and my adventures today confirm the wisdom of doing just that. At the moment, I have two oil filters in my posession. One Fram, and one UAP/Napa "Gold" filter. Partsmen at both stores told me this was the filter to replace OEM. Now, neither of these filters match. And I don't mean match the filter on the tractor, (which they don't) I mean these filters are different sizes, they don't match each other at all. While I'd like to know if one of them is a "winner," I'm loath to take the existing filter off the tractor until I know for sure I've got one that will fit properly.

Thanks again,

Art

/ That unsettling knocking... #4  
I have a B2710 with over 900 hours on it. I have never heard any knocking sounds from the rear end. I do not believe that over filling the transmission resevoir will cause any knocking problems. Twice the height is probably just an extra quart or so but not enough to do any damage. Just be careful when measuring the fluid as the resevoir is used for the loader, power steering and 3pt and if the loader cylinders are extended then you may get a false low reading (which is probably what he did).

Sorry, I can't help on oil filters as I get mine directly from the dealer.

/ That unsettling knocking... #5  
Jackrabbit_Slim,

I thought I remember a post or two on this forum regarding a "knocking" sound that was traced to loose or loosening rear wheel mounting bolts. Have you checked to make sure everything is tight?

Perhaps others can comment?

~Rick

/ That unsettling knocking... #6  
Hard to diagnose your knocking noise without hearing it but if it's not the mounting bolts on the wheels, it is likely the set bolts on the axles that are found on the inside of the wheels towards the center that hold them to the axles. When mine loosen, it creates a knocking noise.