l4400 water in transmission

/ l4400 water in transmission #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
Hey everyone, my friend has and l4400 gear driven tractor which always has water in the transmission. The tractor is left outside most of the time and has never been underwater. The boot for the gear shifter was changed along with the fluid numerous times. We are trying to find out the source of where the water might be coming in, with no luck. Has anyone had the same issue who could point us in the right direction? Does anyone have an idea as too where the vent would be on the transmission?

Thanks,

Joey

/ l4400 water in transmission #2  
How much water? Condensation?

/ l4400 water in transmission
The first time that I changed it was in the middle of winter and ice cubes were coming out of the drain plugs. Added new fluid and filters, drove the tractor around for awhile and flushed the fluid again. Put new fluid in and all was well. Couple months down the road, I noticed that the sight glass for the hydraulic fluid was milky looking. Hydraulics started acting funny and making noises. I changed the fluid again along with changing the boot on the shifter. Changed everything out again and now the cold weather is here and I'm noticing a difference in the operation. The sight glass is milky once again along with making noises when operating until warm up. Just looking for another direction to go. I'm not sure where the vent is on this to make sure that it is working properly.

/ l4400 water in transmission #4  
Water can wick in just about anywhere. My experience is the only way to keep water out is to put under cover. Even just a tarp over the back half of the machine will keep the water out.

/ l4400 water in transmission #5  
Hey everyone, my friend has and l4400 gear driven tractor which always has water in the transmission. The tractor is left outside most of the time and has never been underwater. The boot for the gear shifter was changed along with the fluid numerous times. We are trying to find out the source of where the water might be coming in, with no luck. Has anyone had the same issue who could point us in the right direction? Does anyone have an idea as too where the vent would be on the transmission?

Thanks,

Joey

Have you checked and replaced the hydraulic fluid fill cap/vent? Does the tractor only get run occasionally for short periods of time?

/ l4400 water in transmission #6  
We often see that in NY and the cause just being condensation. There are different oils that will help absorb more moisture so that you don't starve your hydraulic pump which is what you are listening to on cold starts as your oil pick-up is in ice!!!! Until the ice melts you are starving your pump which will cause premature failure!!! I recommend changing oil here once a year unless stored inside!!! That is regardless of oils stating extended life periods as they are not meant to deal with moisture only extended oil life during normal use.

/ l4400 water in transmission #7  
You could put a valve on the drain outlet and pull bottoms on it occasionally after it has been sitting awhile (non freezing temps for this) Get the valve on the lowest spot on the trans....drain all the water and milky stuff and refill with same amount as drained.

/ l4400 water in transmission #8  
Hydraulic oil has a great ability to emulsify water which is why it is used in hydraulic systems because hydraulics hate water. Once the oil has turned milky it won't give up the water plus it has lost most of it's good properties. Draining the oil is the only option. It is best to keep the water out if possible.

/ l4400 water in transmission #9  
Water can wick in just about anywhere. My experience is the only way to keep water out is to put under cover. Even just a tarp over the back half of the machine will keep the water out.

I'd say the tarp should cover from the instrument panel rearward. Instrumentation doesn't seem to like water, either.

/ l4400 water in transmission #10  
Art is right, I have seen this before -- though, I have even witnessed it with equipment stored inside.

Here's a good one -- I got a '03 Harley 883R, and during the fall and early spring when it's cold out, I still ride. However, one fall, I opened the transmission case and low and behold, it was foamy and waxy. Kinda like someone dumped water in the transmission. Now mind you, I didn't wash it, nor did the bike get wet from rain since I last changed the transmission oil. That is because of the heating and cooling effects of moisture draw. The only way to "dry" the oil is to get it to operating temperatures.

So now I make it a point, if I take the motorcycle out when it's cold, to make sure I take it out on the highway for example, instead of putting around on the back roads. Or simply not use it for short trips. As long as ride it hard, it doesn't do that.