HST Filter

/ HST Filter #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
FYI::

I was looking for a replacement HST filter for my Kubota that cost less than The Kubota filter.
I located a filter on Ebay and purchased it. I got this non Kubota branded filter today.
I opened the package to find the filter was in a Carquest box. I took the filter out and find the filter to be made for Caquest by Clarcor.

In 1981 Baldwin became part of Clarcor.

I bought the same HST filter that makes the Kubota branded filter for less $

The Carquest/Baldwin HST filter- #84616- $49.70 shipping included

Baldwin # BT9358

The Kubota branded HST filter- HHTAO-59900- $62.10 + TAX

It appears I bought the same HST filter that makes the Kubota filter for less

Just throwing this info out there for those that don't like to use after market filters.
Kubota doesn't make their branded filters, Engine oil, or HYD fluid, tires, etc,..

Merry Christmas guys and gals !

Last edited:
   / HST Filter #2  
I use ac delco on my vehicles, someone I knew who used to work for GM laughed at me and said they made by champ labs and I was paying more for less. You would think they at least have specs that have to be met by the manufacturer.

/ HST Filter #3  
Has anyone done any testing of the various filters? It seems to me that would be the place to start. In the heavy equipment industry it used to be common to send oil samples off for testing. Blackstone Labs was one of the places that did analysis on used motor oil. Do they still do that?
rScotty

/ HST Filter #4  
There is definitely difference in oil filters as shown on a YouTube video. Some have more surface area, different filter media, thicker metal in the can, different anti-drain back valves etc. I don't know if lets say XXX made filter is different when it is branded as a OEM filter. I do doubt that there would be a difference in the two though. However everyone knows that every mfg. has 2 or more different quality of filters as example regular Fram and then their ToughGuard. Which one did the OEM guys choose as their replacement filter? I do doubt that a manufacturer would (or even if they could)knock down their production line and make something different for a rebrand other than maybe different paint and package. I think it would be impossible for them to change up the automated equipment to make a rebranded filter different from their regular production run. Changing paint color or print on the card board boxes would not require any adaption to the equipment, therefore I think if you can find the mfg that makes Kubota (or other OEM product) and buy their filter for a cheaper price then go for it.

/ HST Filter #5  
From the available information, there is no way to know if the filter that you bought is the same as the Kubota filter, even if appearing identical and made by the same manufacturer.

OEM manufacturers write specifications for purchased components and send such to appropriate suppliers. The suppliers then prepare proposals based upon the OEM requirements.

These same suppliers usually (always?) sell to other customers through other distribution channels. Such aftermarket suppliers will have different specifications if any at all. The suppliers will change processes and materials to reduce costs in order to secure the business.

SDT

/ HST Filter #6  
I occasionally use aftermarket filters over OEM to save a few bucks. However, I wouldn't recommend doing it while the tractor warranty is in effect. I read a horror story a few years back in another forum about someone who was on the hook for a $7K repair bill when Kubota refused to honor the warranty due to a non OEM filter.

As previously stated, just because a filter is made by the same company doesn't mean it has the same quality. I once used a NAPA HST filter on my old L3430 and one obvious difference between it and the OEM was the thickness of the steel canister. I could easily dent the shell of the NAPA filter with my thumb but not so the OEM. It appeared to be more than twice as thick. These filters hang out there in harms way on most Kubota's and can be damaged by branches or heavy brush. It wouldn't take the loss of much UDT fluid from a ruptured filter to eat up the savings made by using a cheaper product. I'd be tempted to save the used OEM filter until the next change and cut it and the used aftermarket filter open to see if there are any obvious differences.

/ HST Filter
From the available information, there is no way to know if the filter that you bought is the same as the Kubota filter, even if appearing identical and made by the same manufacturer.

OEM manufacturers write specifications for purchased components and send such to appropriate suppliers. The suppliers then prepare proposals based upon the OEM requirements.

These same suppliers usually (always?) sell to other customers through other distribution channels. Such aftermarket suppliers will have different specifications if any at all. The suppliers will change processes and materials to reduce costs in order to secure the business.

SDT

You are correct. Many parts purchased from XYZ auto parts stores are far superior to the same parts purchased from the dealerships.

The oil, /fuel filters used on my personal vehicles are far superior than the oil, filters purchased from the dealership

Last edited:
   / HST Filter #8  
There have been a few interesting stories here on TBN where someone got bit by an aftermarket filter that wasn't quite right. I remember one where the aftermarket filter fit and looked right, but clearly wasn't built to handle hydraulic pressure/suction. May have been an engine oil filter that was a matching fit but clearly not for hydraulics.

I always like to check them inside and out to see what the differences are -- with automotive engine oil filters, one common difference will be in the check valve, to prevent oil draining back out of the filter. Years ago I learned that the hard way when we got a bearing rap after an oil change and traced it back to the check valve (there was none on the aftermarket filter). Beyond what you can see at a glance, you almost have to saw the filters open and compare, otherwise it's hard to know for sure what you're actually getting. Could be the same, could be better, could be worse.

Didn't someone here saw apart some OEM and aftermarket filters and compare the filtration media inside? As I recall, there were wide differences across the 4-5 filters they looked at.

/ HST Filter #9  
Yeah, I've read a few threads examining different filters. I've also saw a couple documented studies of a large variety of filter brands. Testing/comparing everything from filter media to thread quality. AC Delco scored very high. Fram scored very low. I've saw two Fram filters fail. Both times they sucked the filter media out of the canister and pumped it thru the engine. Caused complete failure. This failure was mentioned in both studies. Was a weakness in their internal design.

I might have saved the studies somewhere. I'll dig around.

/ HST Filter
Has anyone done any testing of the various filters? It seems to me that would be the place to start. In the heavy equipment industry it used to be common to send oil samples off for testing. Blackstone Labs was one of the places that did analysis on used motor oil. Do they still do that?
rScotty

I have always used Oil Analyzers Inc. to perform my testing
Been using them since my drag race days.