Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota, Case, Deere

Default Re: Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Jstpssng View Post
    This fall I picked up a 2015 L3301HST with the frost plug block heater...even so I spent half of yesterday getting it going. After leaving it plugged in all last night I realized that the heater doesn't work. I also can't believe the tiny battery they put in it; ... sure wish that I'd kept the 1000CCA which was in my old L275. It's all part of getting to know a new tractor though, I'll pick up a new heater and swap the battery out with the one in my pickup.
    You may have something else going on. Without the block heater it'll be harder to start but it should still start. The 7 year old small battery will start my 4240 even if left outside in sub zero temps without using the block heater.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer, Deere X500

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040 Nuffield 465

Quote Originally Posted by 4570Man View Post
    There痴 definitely room for something to go wrong and the indicator no longer works, but assuming the glow plugs and the indicator work I don稚 see how they could be operated individually.
    If you want to study the WSM wiring diagram, I can get it to you.

I did in 2012 and don't wish to go through it all again.

If the trick is of no use to you, just don't use it.

It has helped others so for me that is enough.

I am not trying to diminish your knowledge and experiences but on a kubota with an electronic controller they can be operated individually.

Dave M7040

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M7040

Let me add that the best 12V test light-- like Dave M7040 mentions--I ever owned came from Harbor Freight for not much money. Dave M7040 knows Kubotas.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Kubota B3350 HSDC

Always use power service in fuel, synthetic motor oil, battery tender, and block heater. My block heater is plugged into a WiFi plug such that I can schedule time to turn on or do it manually. Anything below 32 I heat for 2 hours. No problems yet...touch wood.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M7040 View Post
    A little experimenting with a test light will show you what works. There will be a trick if your glow plugs are under the control of a glow plug controller!!! A test light like this one is available at all automotive parts places or on line at amazon. $10 Connect the test light alligator clip to the electrical terminal on any glow plug. Have the light end with you. Stick the sharp point to a good ground. Start the tractor as you always do and watch the test light come on and then go off as the engine starts. Now stop the engine and start experimenting to see if you can make the test light come on without using the normal starting procedure. I don't know your tractor by assume there is some sort of indicator on the dash that shows you the glow plugs are needed and heating and when the indicator goes out you turn the key to start. When you are using the trick I spoke of, there is no indication on the dash that anything is happening. This is when the test light will show you if you can get the glow plugs to be under your control. I am not certain I understand your question: is the timer bypassing me? Tell me more about any display of glow plug operation on your dash. Dave M7040
    Kk thanks, Dave. Will check it out next time I am up at the cottage.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5800 Kubota F3990

No block heater for me, my dealer said he never installs them unless someone insists on it. I found following the manual for how to start in cold temperatures AND the recommended warm up idle time, based on temperature works well for me. I believe my manual states to put the throttle at 1/3 throttle and give it a try. Never had a problem - battery is ALWAYS on a battery tender when not in use. I store in a non heated, pole barn. My old B3200 would start every time - it would cough a bit on start up but would smooth out pretty quickly.

Just picked up a new MX5800 - Haven't tried starting that in this cold snap, because I don't want to be out in this cold either. Possible snow storm on Sunday, but we will have "warmed up" to close to 30 by then. Air temperature of -12 for a low this Friday. Just depends where the air is coming from, being along Lake Erie.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I'm pretty sure BX's just glow as long as you hold the key in the notch before it would turn over. I don't think it has the advance electronics to control it. I started mine the other day when it was a little below zero. I had to run the glow plugs and crank it quite long, no block heater.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Kubota L2501

My L2501 with only 29 hrs would not start in the ~5 degree weather last week. Glow plugs cycled for 6 seconds twice and it didn't have enough battery to crank it over. I put it on a charger Tuesday and used a magnetic heater, and got it started. BTW - no block heater. I didn't even think they'd sell a tractor without one in NH.

What I found odd is that the battery is a Group 26 battery (big in size) but its only 490 CCA. I also wonder if it froze, as the front of the tractor sits outside. I'm going to do the 50 hr service soon, switch to synthetic engine oil and replace the battery with a decent one and add a battery blanket.
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230

Right at 0 deg F this morning in Northern Michigan. Plugged the BX in for about an hour. Warmed up the glow plugs and turned to crank. Nothing. Look down and the gear shift is still in low. Tried to move to neutral. No luck. Played with it for a bit, got it into neutral. But still no crank. Get the heat gun out and warm uip the switch at the back right tire. Finally got it warmed up and switch released and then it would crank. This is the second time I did that in bitter cold. Have to remember to shift to neutral when stutting it down. Just a heads up for others. Jon

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230

Also when I first purchased the BX, and tired using the block heater, it didn't seem to help start the unit. Again on a below 0 morning, I needed to snow blow. Well the glow plugs were not enough. Found out the cord/connector was bad. Dealer installed a new block heater later. But to get the tractor started, I put a small electric heater in the cab blowing through the cowl area to the engine and also a trouble light somewhere else to supply some heat. A couple hours later it started. Mine seats outside during the winter, garage is not big enough for it to sit inside. Next house it will. Jon

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast