Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
It's that time of year again when cold weather tractor starts become an issue. Here in northeast PA, our winters are not that severe. We average 5 or 6 subzero mornings per season. I've owned 6 Kubotas since 1979 which were kept in unheated buildings. In all that time, I have had only one cold weather start problem. I was unable to start my L3430HST at -11* in January of 2014. The engine turned over but too slowly to start. I eventually got it running by using a propane space heater for an hour or so. That incident prompted me to get a block heater for the tractor. I never installed it though since the problem turned out to be a weak battery.

I considered block heaters on the tractors I now own but decided against it due to the fairly good luck I've had over the years. It's been my experience that these Kubota tractors are remarkably good cold weather starters. I've routinely started mine in temps of 0 or slightly below. I use 5W-30 Kubota engine oil and SUDT2 trans fluid.

BTW, the local dealer here doesn't push block heaters. They say its a personal preference and aren't necessary in our local climate. The only advantage is it shortens the recommended tractor warm up time and gets heated cabs up to temp faster.

My question is, how bad do the cold weather conditions have to be to really require a block heater? I know this can depend on tractor and battery condition but please share any personal experience you have!

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #2  
We have three Kubota's in the family;they are good starters in cold weather for sure.Mine if I am going to use it in cold weather(+20F) gets plugged in for 2 hours prior.Easier on the motor/transmission/battery and warms up a lot quicker.I have started it at +10F with-out plugging it in.
We are in a severe cold spell right now;down to -20F on some mornings but with no snow no reason to start my tractor.

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #3  
We'll have 30-40 nights below zero here. The block heater is fairly standard addition to all tractors sold here. The tractor might start without much help down to zero, but the relentless cold spells take their toll. A Bar-B-Q propane bottle with a sun glow heater attached, running for an hour before hand would work, heck lots of things work. You see the Alaskan bush TV "characters" building fires under the oil pans. LOL

They're so inexpensive and so reliable that if one lives in a colder area, it is, as I say, almost considered standard equipment. No one pays much thought about them. Use them. Use the tractor. I just cleaned up the drive,barn area, etc and it's zero out there. No big deal. If you can't stand that level of cold, this is no place for man or tractor not prepared for it.

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #4  
Since I am ****, and treat my Kubota tractor like I treat my show cars, I would like to think I am being really nice to it, by keeping it in a garage, and if necessary, plugging it in, so it will keep treating me back by working hard for me while blowing snow in the winter,cutting the grass in the summer, or while helping me move my many trailers around the yard.

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #5  
Even if the tractor does start in cold weather, a block heater makes it so much easier on the tractor.

I've had four Deeres....three of which had Yanmar engines which are good cold weather starters. My current tractor, a 4520 with the Deere built Powertech engine, isn't so good in cold weather. The block heater allows it to crank over faster and since the oil isn't so thick (after an hour or two warming), it gets full lubrication faster.

Living in Vermont (currently minus 8 degrees as I type this), a block heater isn't an option... A block heater in NE PA may not be as necessary, but it will be a big help even with above zero temperatures.

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #6  
I can't argue what is bad for your tractor but I will say I don't think twice about starting my truck at 20 or 25 below :confused3:

Anyway, I keep a five year old Kubota M5640 manual transmission in the woods, so no block heater. This is the first winter for this. So far it has always started right up. Coldest so far was 12 below. If it doesn't start in about 5 or 6 seconds I run another auto timer cycle of glow plug and it starts on the first crank. The last two mornings were 20 below with no hope of getting above 5 below so I didn't go out. Once it starts it smoothes out in a couple seconds and I let it warm up good and go to work.

gg

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #7  
All I know about cold is my buggy has to have the glow plugs cycled for atleast 5seconds when it’s 35 or below to get it to start. Once it’s going, it’ll be blowing warm Pretty quick

Brett

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #8  
I can't argue what is bad for your tractor but I will say I don't think twice about starting my truck at 20 or 25 below :confused3:

Anyway, I keep a five year old Kubota M5640 manual transmission in the woods, so no block heater. This is the first winter for this. So far it has always started right up. Coldest so far was 12 below. If it doesn't start in about 5 or 6 seconds I run another auto timer cycle of glow plug and it starts on the first crank. The last two mornings were 20 below with no hope of getting above 5 below so I didn't go out. Once it starts it smoothes out in a couple seconds and I let it warm up good and go to work.

gg

It just makes it easier on the engine and quicker lubrication ...but, it's up to you

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #9  
Block heater like day and night trying to start cold frosty motor...good hour plus.
...Side Note.. longer hours plug in mice etc. will become interested...

/ Starting Your Kubota in Cold Weather #10  
I've been around trucks, heavy equipment, and diesel engines all my life. It's my experience that these small Kubotas are about as good in cold weather starting as any diesel I've seen. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably let the sleeping dog lie. Sure, a heater makes it easier on the engine and if that's important to you go for it, but in the whole scheme of things methinks you're ok just as you are.