Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #1  

Dropsix

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370
Bought my tractor new with the block heater installed. Noticed some coolant on the ground and traced it back to the block heater. Also noticed that my coolant level was very low. Glad I didn't overheat it.

Now I either attempt to fix the leak myself or I have to rent a trailer to bring my tractor in (float charge to bring it in for warranty is insane!)

Anyone have any suggestions on what the cause of the leak could be? I plan on taking a closer look at it when I get home from work.

Thanks in advance!

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #2  
To install a block heater you knock out a freeze plug... I suppose if the knock out was miserable and someone beat the snot out of it with a screwdriver or something and gouged the block itself - the heater might not fit the hole tight enough where the ding is and it's leaking there.

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #3  
Some block heaters are threaded in, could just need some thread sealant, the ones that replace a frost plug usually have nut to snug them into place and swell the o ring that seals them

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #4  
It's possible you can just tighten it a little to seal it .

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #5  
Teflon tape for the threaded kind works. I installed a threaded thermostat in a 2200 a few years ago and had to redo it using tape. Threads on castings are not that tight

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX
This is actually what it looks like

maxresdefault.jpg

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #7  
I installed a block heater in one of my vehicles many years ago. It didn't take long and it started dripping. Then I found out that the threads in the engine block did not match the threads on the block heater. I got a plug with the correct threads - teflon pipe dope - sealed that hole up good and tight.

Put in a lower heater hose heater - worked great.

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #8  
If that's the correct heater it just taps into the freeze plug hole. Maybe the blocks gouged like somebody else said

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #9  
The block heater is a tap in.The part that looks like it has threads on does not go into the block the other side does.The instructions say to keep it from leaking you have to put Red locktite around the block heaterand hole in the block and tap it into the block.Of make sure everything is clean free from anitfreeze etc;.

/ Coolant Leak from block heater? Kubota BX #10  
Its a press fit block heater. Wondering if they used a sealant like Loctite 515 when installing heater. I installed mine a few years ago, pretty straight forward install. May have to unistall and install with sealant. There was a thread on here that a guy replaced his block heater. Made a slide hammer to get it off, pretty slick.