Oil & Fuel Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #1  

altoonapillarrock

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I am considering putting a Racor 120 spin on filter as the primary fuel filter. I read this article
Diesel fuel filters: Which should you choose? - Soundings Online
The article is about large boats but it is very interesting. I think the Racor RAP120AP is the right choice. I believe the 30 micron filtration matches that of the small filters Kubota sells.
My interest in this subject is driven by the rust particles I found in when I changed the primary filter from my fuel sending unit. I have been experiencing the rough running and stalling on hills and under load.
I am dreading removing the fuel tank and replacing the fuel sending unit with a new one which will rust again.

Englund Marine | 120 DIESEL SPIN-ON FILTERS

Feedback appreciated.

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #2  
While that filter may stop crud getting to the engine - its not going to alleviate the primary problem. Something is causing rust in your fuel tank(s). Perhaps you are getting moisture in you fuel storage tanks or directly in your tractor fuel tank. I would check both tanks - identify the source and formulate corrective action.

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...3070d1318296564-rough-running-bx-dscf6685-jpg
I borrowed this pic from jcgaylord. This is what I am up against. My tractor spent 4 1/2 years in Menlo, WA undercover in an open sided shed, pretty closeto the Pacific. The last 5 years I have owned it has been parked in a closed garage near Altoona, WA. I have always used Fred Meyer diesel with no additives. The tractor had 45 hours when I bought it and now 450.
The crud in the primary filter looks just like the picture.

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #4  
Have you tried a bio-cide, or other diesel bacteria/fungus killer? Worth a try perhaps?

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #5  
Keep your fuel tank full, especially in the winter and even more so if your tractor is subject the temperature swings in damp locations being subject to sun on it then cold damp air at night. Condensation in fuel tanks is a killer.

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #6  
I pretty much stay with 10 micron filters. That is what I have on the discharge hose from my storage tank. That goes back to all my time working in the industrial/mechanical trades. Pretty standard for all fluids filtering.

Ron

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #7  
Same crap down here our diesel comes from Washington, Oregon is eithe B5 or B20. Replaced fuel sender on L3130 rusted, sender on RTV gives me problems also with rust.

Use Lucas to add lubricity but quit using Power Service because I did not want to emulsify the water, wanted it trapped. Put the Kubota newer B series fuel filter on the RTV, BX-2230 and G-2160, plastic and paper element no metal end caps on the element like on my L3130 that rusts have to dump out every month or so.

Using the 7 micron on the Dodge but think the 10 would be good, just do not use the WIX 50 micron.

David

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #8  
Racor is makes a lot of filters, personally I would go with 10u at a minimum. I added 2u spin on Cat filters to both of my ZD mowers. They had (2) inline Kubota filters, which I believe is the same as the BX.
So my setup (from tank) is : oem filter > 2u spin on > lift pump > oem filter.

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #9  
Can't comment on Kubota's micro size as I couldn't find it published anywhere. Realize these may not represent Kubota's specs but WIX replacement filter for the BX has a micron rating of 50. The ones used on my L30 and L40 series tractors is rated at 19 microns and the filter used on the older 9200HST is 10 microns.

You can see these are all over the place and it begs the question why the BX series inline filters have such a high micron rating. Hopefully this will help you get a feel for the range of filtration at least through the eyes of Wix.

The corrosion you're seeing is a bit frustrating from a design standpoint. OEM's sell globally and diesel quality in other countries is far worse than what we have in the US. Diesel is know to be hydroscopic, tanks are vented so condensate will be an issue and fuel quality control is suspect throughout the world. This is nothing new for engineers to take into consideration early in the design cycle and be able to resolve.

Besides some of the excellent comments regarding fuel storage, you may want to consider keeping your tank full to reduce the chances of condensate contaminating your fuel (H20 leads to the formation of bacteria and corrosion).

When dealing with contaminated fuel, I personally take the opportunity to remove the tank and thoroughly clean. This usually requires tank removal to do so.

Good luck and I hope you resolve your problem the best that you can.

/ Micron Size For Primary Fuel Filter, BX24 #10  
I buy 300 gallons at a time, non bio. I add power service and a biocide. I run a 2 micron filter at my pump. Factory filters on all the tractors.

Altoona, Is that crud developed with bio diesel?