Backhoe BH92 Backhoe on my L4240

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #1  

shucksters

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620 TLB with Cab, Kioti DK6010SE, Kubota BX2370 + FEL/60"MMM Kawasaki Mule ProFXT EPS LE
Hello Gentlemen- it's been awhile since I posted but this is still my GO TO forum for my 'Botas. I am making my last payment March 1st on the L4240 and my last payment in May on the BX2370..... WOOOHOOO! :cool2:

With that being said, my wife and I have some projects we want to do with frost free horse waterers, stump clearing etc. so I went to my dealer and worked out a deal for a BH92 backhoe with a quick attach 16" bucket today for my L4240 (cab version) with a 9' dig rating. He took good care of me - I got several prices and he was the best at $8800 installed. He also agreed to do my 400 hour service (including the transmission with fluid) for the cost of the parts with no labor charges. Now I have to sit and wait for it to come in at the end of February (patience is not my strong point). It's obviously too late to ask if I got a good deal ;-) but I wanted to see if anyone who has experience with the backhoe has any tips that will save me from feeling sheepish....thanks in advance! Pics to come next month.. Sam

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #2  
I have the BH92, originally on an MX5100 and now the L5740 cab. Having it around is very useful, and once you learn how it is easy to take on and off. Also I sometimes use it as ballast when I need to lift something near the FEL's capacity. It works much better for that than my 750 lb ballast box.

One tip is that you should not use the tractor's rear remotes while the BH is connected to the Power Beyond port in order to avoid damage to the BH's valve stack. (This might come into play if you use a rear remote to power something up front, like a snow blade, grapple, or auger.) There is a single sentence about this in the BH92 Op Manual, but I didn't see it and learned my lesson the hard way.

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240
I have the BH92, originally on an MX5100 and now the L5740 cab. Having it around is very useful, and once you learn how it is easy to take on and off. Also I sometimes use it as ballast when I need to lift something near the FEL's capacity. It works much better for that than my 750 lb ballast box.

One tip is that you should not use the tractor's rear remotes while the BH is connected to the Power Beyond port in order to avoid damage to the BH's valve stack. (This might come into play if you use a rear remote to power something up front, like a snow blade, grapple, or auger.) There is a single sentence about this in the BH92 Op Manual, but I didn't see it and learned my lesson the hard way.

Thanks for the tip...I will also have to remove the 3 pt hitch when I use it, correct?

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #4  

Hmm. That implies that the OEM PB connection to the hoe is after the FEL valve, and before the IN of the AUX
valve. And the OUT of the hoe valve would be the new IN for the AUX valve. That is not a good setup, due to
the possible back-pressure on the hoe's OUT connection when the AUX valve is used.

Is that what they did?

A safer way for Kubota to use that PB setup would be to bypass the AUX valve and send the hoe OUT to the
tank. It is also easily avoided if the hoe valves had PB, but none seem to have that. Interesting.

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #5  
Hmm. That implies that the OEM PB connection to the hoe is after the FEL valve, and before the IN of the AUX
valve. And the OUT of the hoe valve would be the new IN for the AUX valve. That is not a good setup, due to
the possible back-pressure on the hoe's OUT connection when the AUX valve is used.

Is that what they did?

A safer way for Kubota to use that PB setup would be to bypass the AUX valve and send the hoe OUT to the
tank. It is also easily avoided if the hoe valves had PB, but none seem to have that. Interesting.

Correct. The BH is connected between the PB outlet on the FEL valve block and the "delivery" port of the tractor's rear hydraulic block. I don't know why they call it the "delivery" port because it is an input. Delivery sounds like output to me. (Someone correct me if I am wrong about this.)

But in any case, this port goes to the Aux Valve block. I never thought about this until I blew out a couple of o-rings in my BH valve block. And sure enough there is a little note about it in the Manual but I'd never noticed it. Nobody seems to know about it, two dealers I talked to didn't seem to recognize the problem until I described it. Likely most people wouldn't be using a rear remote with BH connected but one summer I drilled a bunch of holes with hydraulic auger powered by rear remote while BH was mounted.

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #6  
Thanks for the tip...I will also have to remove the 3 pt hitch when I use it, correct?

That's correct. You will need 14mm and 17mm wrench/sockets. You will likely get real fast at this too.

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #7  
Likely most people wouldn't be using a rear remote with BH connected but one summer
I drilled a bunch of holes with hydraulic auger powered by rear remote while BH was mounted.

Using the AUX valves with hoe attached is common. I use it for running my FEL-mounted mixer, for example,
as well as a hydraulic chainsaw. My PHD, I robbed flow from my bkt curl function. FEL grapples often make
use of the AUX valve, too.

Your's is not a good setup. It is more common for the hoe to be plumbed AFTER the AUX, and before the last
valve in the PB series, the 3-point. This means that you could also blow out your hoe's OUT side
by using the 3-point, but that is hard to do, esp if you are forced to remove the hitch arms.

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240
So as long as I don't power anything other than my FEL while using the hoe, I'm OK...is that the simple answer?

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #9  
Pics please!

/ BH92 Backhoe on my L4240 #10  
So as long as I don't power anything other than my FEL while using the hoe, I'm
OK...is that the simple answer?

For the most part, yes. If you do decide to put a grapple or 4-in-1 on your FEL, then use a solenoid
diverter, or install a manual spool valve with PB in the series of valves.