BX23 hydraulics

/ BX23 hydraulics #1  

AHNC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23
Last time I ran the 23 it operated perfectly. A few months ago I changed the hydraulic fluid, cleaning the filter etc. Fluid is clean an tops at the dip stick. Started it up and tried to lift the FEL or BH and no joy. I shut it down and relieved the pressure on the system. Disconnected the quick- connects at the FEL and made sure they were properly connected. Did the same on the loop line QC's below the seat. With the BH on that one down below was a joy. When I start the tractor I can roll but cannot lift the FEL more than a couple inches. The BH will jerk, but not move. There is no change of engine rpm when doing this. I'd be much obliged for any suggestions.

/ BX23 hydraulics #2  
Don't know on this new stuff, but on the old tractors you could an air lock in your hydraulic system. On the old stuff you would work the stuff that would "somewhat work" maybe power steering, three point arms, loader arms, and bucket. It may be a little jerky, but after 10 or maybe 15 minutes or so, you would generally get the air worked out of the system. If that did not work, you would crack a hydraulic line at the pump. In 40 + years i can only remember once that had to crack the line. I'd start with the steering and rolling the bucket i think in your case and just keep working things and see where you land. Hope this helps.

/ BX23 hydraulics
Thanks Phillip. I rolled that bucket for way to long yesterday pm. The FEL works now, but is slow and the range of operation on the joystick seems off. I have to push it past the stop to lower and hit a single spot tot make it rise. The BH bucket curled and the boom swung rt and there is no action beyond that. I loosened a couple joints slightly on the boom to no affect. Any other pearls of wisdom?

/ BX23 hydraulics #4  
Is there a whine or howl noise when you are trying to make hydraulic stuff work??? Also, recheck your hyraulic oil. If you had an airlock, as you work the the air lock out it will lower the fluid level in the resevoir and you might be a little low now. After you changed the fluid, did the hydraulics work then or is that the start of the problem??? Because it is affecting both the loader and the bh, i think it pretty much eliminates the control valve bodies. You be a real unlucky guy to have bothe go at once. How is you power steering??? Your profile says you live in California. Are you up north where is gets cold or down south where if stays warm. I have heard of a dab of moisture get in the system and freeze creating a little bit of ice. That can cause a headache full of trouble and act similiar to what your describing. The fix for that is to get it inside andget it warmed up. When you changed the fluid did you use a kubota filter are an after market filter. I'm racking my brain and i'll keep thinking.

/ BX23 hydraulics #5  
Hey, another thought. Alot of newer tractors are hydrostatic drive. The oil that runs the hydrostat also runs the hydraulics. At least that is the way my mf works. Is you hydrostat working???

/ BX23 hydraulics #6  
Mine was doing similar and it was loose linkages from the lever, when it was serviced they replaced the lock nuts with nylocks, no problems since.
For memory they tightened them up about 5-10mm which is quite a lot.
I have heard that blocked filters can cause similar issues.

/ BX23 hydraulics
I went to the dealer, who is local, and has been talking me through this, and I said “I’m done.” The mechanic I had been talking to came up this afternoon and he too adjusted the linkage and ****, my tractor is great once again. It is embarrassing being so damned dumb. Thank you for your help.

/ BX23 hydraulics #8  
I knew nothing of the linkages and thought the lever connected directly to the valves, how wrong I was and you can't see the linkages until all the covers are off.
Hardly what I would call dumb if you don't know what the inner workings of the beast are, if that is dumb then you will have to go to the back of the queue:)

/ BX23 hydraulics #9  
Totally agree. My dad has a jd 4100. Something keeps working loose that he has to tighten every so often and it runs the loader. Not familiar with kubota, but for got about dad tightening what ever it is he is tightening. Some of the old loaders on bigger tractors work work loose particularly if you were using the alot for heavy work. So, it was always a good idea yo periodically check on the bolts and what not that mounted the loader to yhe frame of the tractor.