Gas pedal *extremely* stiff

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #1  

Snargie

Tractor
Kubota L3240
Hello,

I purchased an L3240HST in 2007. I have not had any issues with the gas pedal until this year. The pedal is VERY stiff and difficult to operate. I have looked under, over and around the tractor, been all through the manual and crawled the web, to the best of my abilities, in an effort to find out if there is a grease fitting for the pedal. I have not found anything at all.

If anyone knows of such a fitting, specifically, where said fitting may live, please, share that information with me.

Thank you for your time.

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #2  
Welcome to TBN & the forum. Looks like winter is back again for us. Its so cold, especially with that north wind, I had to bring the brass monkeys inside.

I would start spraying every joint, pivot point, slide, swivel with something like WD-40. I could be a build up of old grease, oil and dirt - hard to see. Another thought - ice buildup in the throttle linkage. I've had melted snow refreeze under the throttle and lock it up tight as a drum. Also - check closely to see if any of the rods, etc in the linkage have been bent.

My throttle linkage has no grease zerks. I don't know about yours.

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #3  
I had a linkage issue and found it was bent when a long stick somehow wedged... one in a million.

Start at one end and work your way back...

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff
Thanks for the replies.

So far I have given every pivot point I can find a WD-40 bath. It has loosened up quite a bit however, still not as, 'springy', as it used to be.

Last summer we took a look at it when my wife said it felt, 'funny'. There looks like there may be a broken spring but, man, it looks like it would be a bear to replace.

Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #5  
We had a little gas "Buggy" for the kids... it had an unusual coiled spring around a rivited shaft... too much trouble so I just added a spring from the Hardware store... that was a couple of years back and they kids were using it yesterday...

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #6  
Thanks for the replies.

So far I have given every pivot point I can find a WD-40 bath. It has loosened up quite a bit however, still not as, 'springy', as it used to be.

Last summer we took a look at it when my wife said it felt, 'funny'. There looks like there may be a broken spring but, man, it looks like it would be a bear to replace.

Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?

Go to Messicks and get the pertinent part of the parts manual emailed to you, then post it here circling the broken spring. TBN can probably talk you through it.

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #7  
Are we talking about the hand throttle, or the forward/reverse treadle? I don't recall a gas pedal on the HST models.

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff
Are we talking about the hand throttle, or the forward/reverse treadle? I don't recall a gas pedal on the HST models.

Forward/reverse treadle.

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #9  
The throttle on my backhoe was hard to push. I eventually just had to take it apart before I found a linkage rod that had rusted just enough to cause it to be stiff. It was just a 1/4" rod that went through a flat piece of steel that couldn't of been more than 3/16" of an inch thick. I would of assumed that over the years it would be worn and have lots of slop but that wasn't the case. Just getting the cotter pin out was ****.

If you go to Kubota's website they have a section for parts. If you look for the illustrated parts section you can search for your tractor. Hopefully it can clue you in to the spring that you see and where it goes. The problem with springs (that I have) is they never seam to just pop off. Either they break or something else broke. Hope you have better luck.

/ Gas pedal *extremely* stiff #10  
Forward/reverse treadle.

I don't know if that machine, which is probably HST+, has a damper linked to the treadle, but if so, that may need replacing. Try studying the parts diagrams.