3-Point Hitch BX24. How much tension on lower arms.

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #1  

Orange 08

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX24D
I seem to be breaking the turnbuckles now and then. How tight should the turnbuckles be on the three point lower arms. A little slack or snug or fully tighten after hooking up to box scraper?

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #2  
I tighten them as tight as I can by hand. The turn buckles really suck and the ones that are between the arm and the wheel are designed wrong. I don’t know why they can’t standardise the sway bars like the ones on the grand series.

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #3  
I broke the 2 turnbuckles on my JD 4010 (aka 2019E by today's nomenclature) because I didn't tighten them fully.

Cannot have any attachment swing at all. It's like hitting something (e.g. the turnbuckles) with a hammer on the ends if the attachments swing, particularly something heavy, like a bush hog.

One of the persnickity things about turnbuckles is their intended method of holding the turning part in place. I tighten them up and just attach tension cords to them: just run them up around the ROPS or rear of the fenders somewhere to hook them onto.

Ralph

Last edited:
   / BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #4  
Replaced my turnbuckles with telescoping bars fabricated by Mark Hodge, I believe his name was. Transformed my 3-point experience 100%.

I think I'd rather have a root canal than go back to turnbuckles. :D

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #5  
I always kept mine tight on everything. Carried a 3/4” wrench in the tool box

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #6  
I got rid of my turnbuckles completely. I made an equalizer to keep the 3 point centered no matter what width attachment is connected. Both lift arms move equally. The design was stolen from an IH 686 three point hitch.
3 point equalizer

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #7  
The turnbuckles should not be tight at any point in the travel. You will find that sway slack will vary slightly with lift. If the tightest point has even the slightest slack thats cool.

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms. #8  
The turnbuckles should not be tight at any point in the travel. You will find that sway slack will vary slightly with lift. If the tightest point has even the slightest slack thats cool.

First correct answer here -- yes, they need at least a teeny bit of slop everywhere along the travel. You do not want them tight -- that equals binding.

/ BX24. How much tension on lower arms.
Thanks you all for the information.