Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp?

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #1  

deathtoblackberries

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
I'm disappointed in the quality of cut I'm getting with the Kubota MMM. This is my 2nd deck, had a 60" on the B2920 and now a 54" on the BX2380. Looks ragged like a bad haircut I'm wondering if even brand new blades need to be sharpened or something? I purchased a JD X380 for mowing a couple years back, like night and day quality of cut vs the Kubota MMM. Had higher hopes for the new BX2380, turf tires, smaller machine, any tips on improving the quality of cut with the Kubota MMM? I have a 1 acre yard around my house its not a field.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #2  
I'm disappointed in the quality of cut I'm getting with the Kubota MMM. This is my 2nd deck, had a 60" on the B2920 and now a 54" on the BX2380. Looks ragged like a bad haircut I'm wondering if even brand new blades need to be sharpened or something? I purchased a JD X380 for mowing a couple years back, like night and day quality of cut vs the Kubota MMM. Had higher hopes for the new BX2380, turf tires, smaller machine, any tips on improving the quality of cut with the Kubota MMM? I have a 1 acre yard around my house its not a field.

If it's a new mower deck, I would suspect the blades are installed incorrectly. Make sure they are not backwards/upside down.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #3  
If it's a new mower deck, I would suspect the blades are installed incorrectly. Make sure they are not backwards/upside down.

Agreed. My 54" on by BX23 cuts very well without any enhancements. I do cut in low rage WOT. If the RPM's are too low and/or ground speed too fast, that could cause those results I would think.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #4  
I mow with a JD G100 belly mower. Its not a tractor - its a dedicated mower. I sharpen the three blades every spring, before mowing season. Of course, the quality of the cut deteriorates with the season but is still good enough. I sharpen the outer inch and a half of the blades about as sharp as a pocket knife.

I don't have a 3-point brush hog. I use the JD G100 just like one. To say that I abuse this poor old mower is the understatement of the century. I have a one acre meadow that I mow two or three times a year and the 'ol JD is really smokin' when I finish. I run this unit thru the deer brush and cut it back from the edges of my lawn. I mow down monstrous stands of wild roses that are trying to overtake areas on my property. I also have 3/4 acre of lawn.

What really surprises me - I purchased this unit new in 2004 - still running on the original three blades - never had a flat tire - never had to replace an belts yet - it starts, slick as a whiz every spring. I do DO all the required maintenance on the unit and grease things at least 3X during the summer.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #5  
What rpm are you mowing? It probably calls for full throttle or 3,200 for a mower deck to achieve the right tip speed, I'd run it at least at 3,000 on your BX.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp?
I think Milo is on the right track. I mowed WOT with the B2920 but the R4 filled tires and weight were flattening the grass and the mower deck wasn't lifting it back up. Mowed once with the new BX, not at WOT since its brand new. I'll pull the deck, sharpen the blades and try WOT next mow. Is anyone getting good results with the MMM though?

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #7  
Several years ago I mowed with a 60 inch deck on a BX2660. I mowed in low range in nearly WOT with good results. It worked for three season on the OE blade set which I probably sharpened once per season. ... had turf tires that were not filled.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #8  
Mine mows good but not great. I have a mulch kit on mine.

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #9  
Don't think your blades have to be 'razor-sharp or else'! Too thin an edge can bend over and cut worse than a dull one. IMO, most folks travel a bit fast when mowing, and get skips for it. btw, another reason to cut 'taller' (4"!!!) is a better finished look, regardless of equipment .. (you knew that) .. t o g

/ Improving MMM quality of cut, blades how sharp? #10  
My BX25D mows just fine with the 60 MMM. Depending on slope I use both high and low range with 4WD in low. I sharpen the blades when I do the maintenance in the spring and they dont get sharpened again til the following spring. I run from 2800 to 3000 depending on height and wetness of the grass...sometimes near WOT in the deep wet stuff. 5+ acres of grass looks as good as I want it too.