L4701 vx. MX4800

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
What are the main differences in these two tractors? Which loaders can they handle?

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #2  
What are the main differences in these two tractors? Which loaders can they handle?
MXs are typically more agriculture based and Ls more utility-homeowner based however that line is blurred. I looked at Tractordata.com and they are very close. The MX is a little larger and heavier of course. The MX takes the LA1065 and the L takes the LA765 so the MX can lift about 600 lbs more

TractorData.com Kubota L471 tractor attachments information
TractorData.com Kubota MX48 tractor attachments information

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #3  
Mx weighs a tad more, and riding on bigger tires....and can lift more.

Also has a cat I/II hitch. Which means is basically a cat II....but can close up small enough to hitch cat I stuff with proper bushings. And it also has telescoping lower ends.

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #4  
Don't forget to consider the implements you plan to use. If you want to equip the tractor with R4 industrial tires, be aware that the width of the MX4800 is around 73". This could be a factor for existing or future implements with a 72" width. The width of the L4701 with R4's is around 69".

If you like the slightly smaller and lighter L4701 frame but are concerned about FEL capacity, you might consider the more expensive Grand L4760. That tractor uses the LA1055 FEL which is similar in spec to the MX4800's LA1065 FEL. I'm spending your money here but the L4760 also comes with a host of features you might find useful if you spend a lot of time on the tractor.

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #5  
Another small consideration is your elevation? Would you benefit from a turbo? Look at the MX5800

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #6  
Mx weighs a tad more, and riding on bigger tires....and can lift more.

Also has a cat I/II hitch. Which means is basically a cat II....but can close up small enough to hitch cat I stuff with proper bushings. MX4800 has telescoping lower ends.

MX4800 has turnbuckle Lower Link stabilizers.
MX5200 and MX5800 have telescoping Lower Link stabilizers standard.
Telescoping Lower Link stabilizers could be ordered as an option for MX4800.

I was inspecting MX tractors at my six mile distant Kubota dealer minutes ago.

I SPECULATE L4701 and MX4800/5200/5800 are assembled on the same chassis. Larger wheels on MX4800 accounts for most of the weight increase, kit the balance. My Kubota dealer keeps numerous MX tractors in inventory. Has never had a L4701, or L4701 predecessor model in inventory in five years, so I have not been able to trial my speculation.

Tractor models are produced in low volume. Manufacturers constantly attempt to maximize common components for scale in purchasing and production.

Sometimes the objective of marketing is to illuminate, sometimes to obfuscate.

Last edited:
   / L4701 vx. MX4800 #8  
Jeff,
SPECULATION that an L series and MX use the same chassis is debunked by a video published by Messick's and readily viewable on U Tube.
The point regarding overall rear R-4 width is valid, My MX is 74" wide and that DOES impact the use of some six ft attachments/buckets.
Exercise care with loader lift capacity anticipation: My tires are not loaded, no wheel weights. Prefer this setup because of extensive mowing in improved landscape surfaces, also refered to as lawns. During a wet spring, and even summer rains, tires can create "tracks". Point is thus. My loader is rated around 2400 lbs at the pivot pins. But my 550 lb snow pusher will unsettle the rear end. There is too much expectation for lifting capacities from these compact tractors. With appropriate ballast, a single ton of weight seems a reasonable limit in a static position. Traveling with that weight at height is irresponsible. Websites and specifications are merely a guide tempered by practical applications and limits.

/ L4701 vx. MX4800 #9  
Jeff,
SPECULATION that an L series and MX use the same chassis is debunked by a video published by Messick's and readily viewable on U Tube.

I searched U-tube with words "Messicks" & "Kubota", then viewed every video that seemed germane. I found nothing to debunk or refute my SPECULATION about shared chassis common to L4701 and MX series.
I may be wrong. I am speculating.

I note that my L3560 with R4 tires is 62" outside-to-outside tire width today.

Rear tread widths, a center-to-center measure, on Grand Ls are adjustable. My L3560 is adjustable from 47.2" to 57.7" tread width according the Operator's Manual before me. Four increments for R1/ag tires and three increments for R4/industrial tires.

Last edited:
   / L4701 vx. MX4800 #10  
Kubota Grand L Series VS. Kubota MX Series - YouTube Messicks Video
Jeff,
Actually your term chassis is a misnomer. Not aware of any tractors, sub-100 hp, that employ a chassis in the classic definition. The tractor structure is a series of bolted components that support a front and rear axle. There is NO outright frame as would be the case with a Deere 6000 series tractor as an example or an automotive product. So the engine, transmission and rear axle/housing assembly differ from tractor to tractor, however there can be some similarity in said components, yet there is no commonality known as a chassis.

As for tread widths, granted they are adjustable through the orientation of the wheel, given the tire size and classification uniformity. I do question the weight of your tractor? Curious if you include a backhoe attachment? Open station?