L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 )

/ L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 ) #1  

dog rocket

Tractor
Kubota L2900
Hello, I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction. hahahee <whew> :eek:

I fired my L2900 GST up and took it about 10 feet when I realized I had no steering to the right. I still had steering to the left. Here are the specific symptoms:

• turn to the right = massive leak and no wheel response
  • turn to the left = operation normal, no leak
  • powered down and steered left is fine but with no PS
  • powered down and steered right = no response
  • transmission, loader and rear hydraulics all operate as normal

I do have the factory workshop manual which I have been studying intently...

Please note my GST tractor has the hydrostatic power steering. I pulled off the covers under the steering wheel to expose the Steering Controller and the hoses look fine with no signs of leaking.

The Hydraulic Pump and Regulator Valve as viewed from the right side of the motor also look clean and dry.

The major leak with the steering turned right appears to be coming from between the Steering Controller and Hydraulic Pump, streaming down the side of the transmission case.

I can't see the hoses at all. I can't believe they are in there so tight and deep, especially for something that should be readily serviceable. They drop from the Steering Controller through a boot and behind the firewall hump before finding their way to the Hydraulic Pump area. When I was trying to get in there to see what I could see with a flashlight, I did see a rat's nest up in the same firewall area. I'm hoping my issue is a hose that's been chewed through. I poked and prodded with the longest screwdriver I have and got some of the nest out but like I said, it's tight!

My question is two-fold:

1. Am I on the right track in thinking a loss to steering in one direction should be traceable to the Steering Controller or could there be another issue somewhere in the chain?

2. What's the best way to access this area? Is the floorboard (deck) easily removable? That looks like the best way to see what's going on. I can't see or access anything from below.

Thanks for your help!
Randy

/ L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 ) #2  
Sure it is not a line going to the cylinder that is leaking? Having problems in one direction I would look at a hose or the cylinder seal leaking. Would think if it was controller both directions would be having problems.

David

/ L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 )
Hi David, thanks. Yes, what I meant is that I am guessing it is one of the 4 hoses coming out of the controller. Does that sound plausible?

Anyone know how hard it is to remove the floorboard (deck)?

Last edited:
   / L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 )
I was able to locate the leak. It was one of the hoses from the controller and it was caused by the rat.

/ L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 ) #5  
Oh, that "dirty rat"! :mad:

/ L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 ) #6  
Hello, I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction. hahahee <whew> :eek:

I fired my L2900 GST up and took it about 10 feet when I realized I had no steering to the right. I still had steering to the left. Here are the specific symptoms:

• turn to the right = massive leak and no wheel response
  • turn to the left = operation normal, no leak
  • powered down and steered left is fine but with no PS
  • powered down and steered right = no response
  • transmission, loader and rear hydraulics all operate as normal

I do have the factory workshop manual which I have been studying intently...

Please note my GST tractor has the hydrostatic power steering. I pulled off the covers under the steering wheel to expose the Steering Controller and the hoses look fine with no signs of leaking.

The Hydraulic Pump and Regulator Valve as viewed from the right side of the motor also look clean and dry.

The major leak with the steering turned right appears to be coming from between the Steering Controller and Hydraulic Pump, streaming down the side of the transmission case.

I can't see the hoses at all. I can't believe they are in there so tight and deep, especially for something that should be readily serviceable. They drop from the Steering Controller through a boot and behind the firewall hump before finding their way to the Hydraulic Pump area. When I was trying to get in there to see what I could see with a flashlight, I did see a rat's nest up in the same firewall area. I'm hoping my issue is a hose that's been chewed through. I poked and prodded with the longest screwdriver I have and got some of the nest out but like I said, it's tight!

My question is two-fold:

1. Am I on the right track in thinking a loss to steering in one direction should be traceable to the Steering Controller or could there be another issue somewhere in the chain?

2. What's the best way to access this area? Is the floorboard (deck) easily removable? That looks like the best way to see what's going on. I can't see or access anything from below.

Thanks for your help!
Randy

This is a virtual exact copy of my issue except mine is a L2900 DT, manual trans. How did you resolve your issue? With engine OFF and turn wheel to right I hear fluid squirting, then see fluid dripping under tractor, but no leaking under steering controller OR at pump. It seems my rat bit a hose in a non accessable place. I plan to disconnect the old hoses at the controller and hook new hoses to the old ones, then go to the steering cylinder above pitman arm and disconnect them there and just drag the old ones out and the new ones should just follow right behind. Please tell me you didn't have to remove the deck and seat and all the other stuff to get to the chewed up hose. I'm buying a bunch of rat poison after this is over.
i hope you see this and respond. I want to know what a Dog Rocket is.