B2650 help on wheel spacers

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers #1  

BCWoodtick

Silver Member
Tractor
JD425GT, B2650HST
Well I decided on some Duo H chains for the B2650 and put them on today a don't have enough clearance.
So obviously I need to get rear wheel spacers, anyone know what exactly I need to get? Also is installation something that I can tackle or do I need to take it in to the dealer?

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers #2  
You can buy factory 1.5" spacers from a dealer for $299, or you can buy spacers up to around 3" from Brotek.

Bro-Tek

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers
I guess the 1.5" would be just enough clearance? Do you just remove the tires bolt on extension and put back on? Or is it more complicated than that? Also is it worth going larger? I currently use the B2650 with backhoe on and is very stable. Thinking that when I start to purchase 3 point implements it will handle differently?

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers #4  
There are several sources for very good quality wheel spacers. I bought a set from BORA . See Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech or email them at motorsportjr@gmail.com I've been very satisfied. Good quality, perfect fit, had several of the little idiosyncracies for my Kubota all figured out ahead of time. Other brands have good reputations as well including Bro-tek already mentioned, Hansen which is at Tractor Wheel Spacers Hub Extensions, Kubota, John Deere, Compact Tractor, Utility Vehicle and others. Some are machined from a solid hunk of aluminum alloy and others are welded "steel tubes between two end plates" designs. A few comments: 1) I added my spacers, 6" ones, to gain stability and safety avoiding rollover on steeper ground. HUGE improvement. Mine was a B2150. 2) There are compatibility issues to check into. If you have a belly mower the rear tires and MMM become a conflict depending on what spacer size you choose. In my case using the spacers precludes using the belly mower. 3) If you never operate on slopes or steep ground it may not matter to you but essentially ALL Kubotas are made by Japanese who do not understand that America is not completely flat. They come with wheels so close together they are almost totally unsatisfactory on steep ground and worse yet many if not most have no way to spread the rear wheels far enough apart (or at all in many models) to correct the problem. Each application is different.

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers #5  
I use Bro-Tek spacers on my BX25, and like them a lot. Bought them because of the same chains issue that you are facing. They're easy as pie to put on. You just unbolt the wheel, pull it out of the way, bolt these guys on and put the wheel back on. Do read their literature as well, because they point out how their wheel spacers transfer the tractor's weight to the hub instead of the wheel studs, which many wheel spacers don't do, and which many tractors themselves do not seem to do. So, it seems that you are strengthening the whole structure by using the Bro-Tek wheel spacers. I didn't know that until I read it just now

Right on, they may only have a 2" from them but have sent an email to confirm. Still have to contact the dealer and see what they have. Thanks for the help.

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers #7  
I guess the 1.5" would be just enough clearance? Do you just remove the tires bolt on extension and put back on? Or is it more complicated than that? Also is it worth going larger? I currently use the B2650 with backhoe on and is very stable. Thinking that when I start to purchase 3 point implements it will handle differently?

BC, I have the same tractor and have 1.5 inch spacers installed. I had the dealer install them as part of the buy package, and they work just fine. I previously owned a B2320 and I installed the spacers myself. It is not hard to do but the tires are weighted, and are very heavy to remount but it is doable.

My recommendation is to buy from the dealer, and ask them about any changes that happen with the tractor and what equipment issues might occur. You will have to change the wheel studs, which come with the spacers. You will have to buy a stud extractor ($45 or so) and some thread adhesive.

/ B2650 help on wheel spacers #8  
Do read their literature as well, because they point out how their wheel spacers transfer the tractor's weight to the hub instead of the wheel studs, which many wheel spacers don't do, and which many tractors themselves do not seem to do. So, it seems that you are strengthening the whole structure by using the Bro-Tek wheel spacers. I didn't know that until I read it just now

Check -- you do not know it now either ! I do not want to be harsh and we are all in here to help each other! However, what you just posted coming from Bro-tek is pure nonsense. I can't believe they said that. Maybe it is someone's interpretation. Ask any engineer to read it and & they will conclude it is hogwash as I just did. Not sure where to start but:
1) "Transfers weight to the hub instead of the wheel studs" -- Huh ? what the heck does that mean ? The weight of the rear of the tractor is a vertical component about 50% on each side. That weight rests on the studs only if they are loose and rests on the hub if they are tight as they should be and causing the hub/wheel to act as a single unit. Adding spacers will not change where the weight of the vehicle rests. It does change the lever length from the rear bearings on outward to the center line of the tires. That will bother no one and is exactly the same thing regardless of brand of spacer.
2) The topic of where the weight rests is probably some marketing rep bragging about the fact that they have a ridge that fits into (or over) the hub thus preventing any slippage up/down between the hub and the spacer and the wheel. Other brands of spacers brag that they have such a ridge or lip on their spacers too. Big deal. If the lugs are tight you will never know one way or the other.
3) "Strengthening the structure" is a standalone joke invented by marketing.

Note the concentric ridges or rings on the spacers that sink into the hubs on my spacers in this photo. They help to keep the spacers centered in/on the hubs. No doubt that feature is what the marketeers are talking about. These happen to be Bora brand.

20160825_135924.jpg

Still waiting for dealer to call back... Don't to talk to them much and always seems to be a little painful?? So Bro Tek only had 2" but said you can put on 2 sets if I want more? Are the Kubota spacers able to do the same?
Is it the same procedure remove studs (with extractor) for Bro Tek aand Kubota?