Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please!

/ Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please! #1  

JonDyana

Tractor
Kubota BX25D, L305DT
Hello All:

I just bought a 1984 Kubota L305DT. The tractor is clean with just under 1000 hours on it (if the meter worked it's whole life). The unit seems in really great condition aesthetically and mechanically. I will take delivery in it Tuesday and we're just going to service the whole unit stem-to-stern. I currently have a 2017 BX25D and have been using it around the place for over a year. Four questions:

1. What is the difference between power steering (BX25D) and Power Assist Steering (L305DT)
2. The FEL on the 305 is stickered "Allied." Is that an aftermarket loader? it has external valve and a tank on the drivers right side of the FEL mount.
3. The 3PT hitch doesn't lower by itself unless there is something attached, then it lowers fine. Anything to be concerned about?
4. What do I need to know about this unit from anyone who has used one. I like my BX and I won't sell it. I bought this for the increased PTO HP and because my wife said she didn't care if I bought another tractor as long as I keep it in the bark and off the yard - NO BRAINER!!

Please advise - any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• l305dt.jpg
    l305dt.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 624
   / Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please! #2  
1. The L305DT has mechanical steering, i.e., gear box with mechanical linkage to the front tires, that is assisted with power hydraulics. The BX25D only has hydraulic steering, if the engine isn't running you have no steering. The old tractor will still steer, just takes more effort.

2. Allied has built and sold a LOT of loaders for various tractors. So yes, it's aftermarket. Sounds like it might also be powered by a hydraulic pump driven off the engine crankshaft and mounted at the front of the tractor.

3. The 3pt not lowering isn't anything to worry about. The friction in the linkage and internally in the lift cylinder must be enough to offset the weight of the 3pt arms. No worries.

4. A friend of mine has one of these. He borders on abusing his tractor. It has never failed him. Very, very tough tractors.

I think you did good. And it will compliment the BX25D nicely and visa versa. :)

/ Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please!
Awesome! thank you. Do you know if the FEL is removable? I mean, easily removable?

Thanks again, Jon

/ Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please! #4  
Awesome! thank you. Do you know if the FEL is removable? I mean, easily removable?

Thanks again, Jon

I doubt that it's easily removable as in Quick Attach, but I can't confirm that. Don't recall on my friend's tractor. Post some pictures of the area where the FEL attaches to the tractor and we'll try to figure it out.

Something like this. You can see by studying this picture that my FEL removes without tools simply by removing a large pin on each side.

20180311_143443 (1280x720).jpg

Got it. Thanks for helping me out and your kind words of optimism. Stay well brother!

/ Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please! #6  
I HAVE OWNED YOUR EXACT TRACTOR FOR OVER 25 YEARS. IT IS BULLET PROOF. IT HAS A 2 STAGE CLUTCH (2 DICSKS) ALL THE WAY DOWN STOPS THE PTO HALF WAY UP ENGAGES THE DRIVE. BACK OFF THE THRODLE WHEN CHANGING GEARS.RUN IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE ON PAVEMENT. MY KUBOTA DEALER USED 90 WEIGHT IN THE FRONT DRIVE GEARS. PRE HEAT GLO PLUGS WHEN ENGINE IS COLD 45 SECONDS. USE BALLAST
ON 3 POINT WHEN MOVING MATERIAL. IT WILL LIFT JUST UNDER A TON. CHECK AIR IN FRONT TIRES OFTEN.TUBES WORK BEST. KEEP LOAD CENTERED AT ALL TIMES! THINK ABOUT INVESTING IN A ROLL BAR.

Last edited:
   / Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please! #7  
Lube up the 3pt. 99% of 3pts are power up, gravity down. If things are a bit sticky & there is little weight (3pt linkages themselves) not going down with gravity isn't to surprising. If it works with weight on it a little maintenance should get it working properly unloaded as well.

/ Just bought a L305DT - Looking for answers please! #8  
.......3. The 3PT hitch doesn't lower by itself unless there is something attached, then it lowers fine. Anything to be concerned about?.........
Knob in front of the seat for adjusting the drop speed of the 3-point.

Great! Thanks.

I HAVE OWNED YOUR EXACT TRACTOR FOR OVER 25 YEARS. IT IS BULLET PROOF. IT HAS A 2 STAGE CLUTCH (2 DICSKS) ALL THE WAY DOWN STOPS THE PTO HALF WAY UP ENGAGES THE DRIVE. BACK OFF THE THRODLE WHEN CHANGING GEARS.RUN IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE ON PAVEMENT. MY KUBOTA DEALER USED 90 WEIGHT IN THE FRONT DRIVE GEARS. PRE HEAT GLO PLUGS WHEN ENGINE IS COLD 45 SECONDS. USE BALLAST
ON 3 POINT WHEN MOVING MATERIAL. IT WILL LIFT JUST UNDER A TON. CHECK AIR IN FRONT TIRES OFTEN.TUBES WORK BEST. KEEP LOAD CENTERED AT ALL TIMES! THINK ABOUT INVESTING IN A ROLL BAR.

Great advice. Thanks. What do you thing about foaming the front tires? I haven't done it on either machine but I did once last year, while clearing brush - peel the front tire off of the rim. Luckily, I was a home and was able to re-seat the bead and re-inflate the tire with little effort. My fault. I didn't check that the air in the front tire was at maximum inflation before moving around tight spaces with a bucket full of rocks in the pasture. I would have been in rough shape if I was way in the back (13 acres). What's you opinion on foam?