UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT

/ UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT #1  

bandit67

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 B3000 HSDCC 2020 Z251 Zero Turn
UPDATE 4/15/2022:

Well, after 4 years running without the backhoe frame extensions, I decided it was time to add them back in. The cramped platform and tiny seat just became too uncomfortable for me to deal with as I get older. The ONLY benefit to moving the backhoe closer to the cab was the better balance while doing extensive loader work. However, I now live on a much more level property, so the lighter front end will be less of an issue. Yeah, the backhoe hangs way off the back again, but the operator comfort is far better with this setup. And with the NEW (finally) hydraulic thumb conversion, I'll be spending even more time in the backhoe seat. Here it is back to factory setup. Original post & photos below.

20220414_163309 - Copy.jpg

Original Post March 2018:

Since I took delivery of my B3000 cab model, I haven't been completely happy with the fact that the Kubota Engineers needed to add subframe extensions for mounting the BH77 to the cab model. I understand why they came up with the subframe mounting plates to push the backhoe another 9" back so the operator's platform could clear the cab, needing a solution that would work for the vast majority of B3000 customers.

But having the BH77 hanging that far off the back of the machine has posed a number of issues for me on my hilly property. The reduced angle of departure has been a pain, the lightened load on the front tires, with all that weight hanging so far off the back, causes problems when attempting to turn heading uphill with an unloaded FEL, and this setup seems to have a lot more backhoe frame flex than my B3030 ROPS with BH75 did. Also, the additional 9" of clearance needed at the back of the machine has been more noticeable compared to my B3030 when maneuvering in tighter situations.

I've been thinking about how I can modify the operator platform in order to remove the subframe extensions and pull the backhoe in closer to the cab, and finally came up with a fairly simple solution, that could easily be reversed and put back to stock if I ever decided to sell the machine. Part of the solution required me finding a new seat that was significantly smaller than the stock Kubota backhoe seat to help make up for losing 9" of operator platform. I found a fishing boat casting seat, which is designed for leaning against and partially sitting on, over the course of a day out on the lake fishing. The seat itself is significantly shallower than a normal seat and has an extremely low seatback. The stock Kubota seat is 18" deep with a 12" high seatback. The casting seat I found is only 11" deep and 5" high.

I'm not a big guy, with only a 30" inseam, and I'm in pretty good shape for an old guy - I don't have a beer belly. This modification WILL NOT work for anyone much bigger than me, and a big belly will not allow enough room to operate the joysticks. I do like being in closer to the backhoe joysticks, allowing a much smaller range of arm movement, so overall, backhoe operation seems a bit more comfortable & relaxed. I am planning on moving the new backhoe seat down another 2.25" (factory bolt hole height spacing) to give me just a slightly better angle while operating the joysticks. That requires drilling 2 new holes in the seat post, and cutting the top couple of inches off, but that modification still allows the seat to be moved back up to stock height if I ever sell the machine and the new owner wants to put the entire setup back to stock. The additional height on the seat post that I will cut off is used only on open station machines.

The new setup does fold my legs up quite a bit more, so cramping knees will need to be addressed & stretched regularly during any sort of multi-hour backhoe work, but the improvements to the machine's balance & footprint while working around my hilly property, and especially the increased angle of departure, are big improvements and well worth the more cramped backhoe operator platform. The back of the cab now acts as my backrest.

No doubt this modification is not for most folks, but for me, it seems to be a worthwhile modification.

First pic is factory backhoe configuration:
IMG_8186 (2).jpg

New setup with bolt-on subframe extensions removed:
20180318_124508 (1024x536).jpg

20180318_124515 (1024x768).jpg

20180318_124539 (1024x768).jpg

20180318_124530 (768x1024).jpg

Last edited:
   / UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT #2  
Nice fix. I assume it didn’t cause any issues with the BH contacting any of the back parts like hydraulic outlets and such?

My l6060hstc has the extension on it as well. It’s a pain as you indicated with bottoming out going up a hill.

/ UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT
No, the hydraulic QA cleared in it's stock location. There's a bit of extra hose to deal with now, so I will get underneath and see if I can pull some of it back toward the front of the machine, or will get the extra hose zip tied at the hoe or adjust the protective sleeve to be sure nothing rubs the hose over time.

Finally finished my little project. Found a new seat that I like better and has stiffer foam, and the squared front corners give a little better support than the first seat I tried. It is 2-tone black and matching Kubota charcoal grey.

Also lowered the seat one notch - had to cut the top 2.25" off the seat support, and drill 2 new holes to lower it. The 4 factory holes for the B3000 setup are all still there, so the seat can be raised back up if anyone ever wants to put the entire setup back to original. Lowering the seat actually helped even more than I was hoping it would with regards to overall comfort and ability to operate the joysticks without hitting my legs.

20180325_161027 (1024x768).jpg

20180325_161034 (1024x768).jpg

20180325_161055 (1024x768).jpg

20180325_161101 (768x1024).jpg

20180325_161109 (768x1024).jpg

20180325_161121 (1024x768).jpg

20180325_161125 (1024x768).jpg

/ UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT #5  
Finally finished my little project. Found a new seat that I like better and has stiffer foam, and the squared front corners give a little better support than the first seat I tried. It is 2-tone black and matching Kubota charcoal grey.

Wow that looks really nice!! Wish Kubota would have thought of that.

/ UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT #6  
I wonder if that setup would work with a B2650 cab with Bh77?
Randy

Start with taking measurements. I took all sorts of measurements, and until I found the fishing casting seats, thought I would also have to move the seat mounting post forward, but the seat I used is 5-6" shallower front to back than the factory backhoe seat. On mine, and I'm assuming yours too, unless Kubota redesigned the subframe extension plates, pushed the backhoe 9" back - just measure the main backhoe frame attachment pin location compared to the extension plate pin location.

I know your cab curves around the back, but mine angles out from base of tractor as it goes up, so it is possible the location of the back-most part of your cab glass is at about the same location as mine. With the factory backhoe seat mounted all the way back on the seat bracket, there was an inch of clearance between the seat and the cab. It was closer to 2.5" when the seat was bolted into the forward most holes on the seat base bracket. So if both the 9" dimension of the subframe extensions, and the seat clearance to the cab is the same as mine, you should be able to make it work.

Again, if you're sporting any sort of a gut, I don't really think this modification will work because you won't be able to pull the joysticks all the way back. And lowering the seat mount one full "notch" is also needed to get your crotch & thighs lower to not get in the way of full joystick movement. When you're that much closer to the controls, your overall arm movement cuts down dramatically, and is much more comfortable working the backhoe.

/ UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT #8  
Thank you Bandit67, I will go out and check the dimensions I would have never thought this was possible without your pictures and instructions. Basically, if I got a new seat and tried it out on the seat support that would give me an idea of how much room I would have to see if I fit.
Randy

If you are wondering, I got the latest seat from BassBoatSeats.com. It is the DeckMate Lean Pro Boat Seat. It was $45 delivered with the 10% discount code I found. Much more sturdily built than the first seat I got, but I was able to get the 1st one through Walmart so that it was easy to return if it didn't work out.

/ UPDATE: B3000 - moved my BH77 closer to the cab: MOVED IT BACK OUT #10  
Thanks, that saves me looking for the right seat.
Randy