Trailering B2650HSDC

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #1  

Farmall45b

Silver Member
Tractor
2014 Kubota B2650 HSD Cab
I am wondering if anyone on here is trailering their B2650HSDC on a single axle trailer. I am looking at a PJ U7 with 5200# axle, 14 foot in length. I do not plan to trailer the tractor often, maybe once every couple of years, the primary use of the trailer is other utility purposes. I know that trailer will handle the tractor weight wise, I am just wondering if I will be able to position the tractor on the 14 foot trailer to distribute the weight correctly to the axle and tongue.

Thanks in advance.

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #2  
I am looking at a PJ U7 with 5200# axle, 14 foot in length... I know that trailer will handle the tractor weight wise

Out of curiosity, I looked up the specs on this trailer and wanted to point out a couple of items just to make certain you don't regret something later. It's also very possible the published data is wrong or incomplete. I always like to make 100% certain the facts are correct before paying $'s.

Please reference the attachments.

1. Are you certain you can get the higher capacity axles in the U7? They appear to only be an option on the U8.

2. Not certain how you define "I know the trailer can handle the weight", but it appears the standard U7 does not have enough capacity to handle the 2650 cab as the weight limit is exceeded. Assuming stronger axles are an option (see 1 above) does the rated capacity also go up? I'm guessing the registered weight class would have to go up also and this will dictate the legal weight limits. Is the published usable capacity based on axle rating or chassis design? The base 2650 cab weighs 2293 lbs without any implements.

Don't take any salesperson's word... Get it in writing!

I'm not saying your wrong, but I felt obligated to point out there is conflicting published info. I like to know that I'm within specs/laws to minimize liability should something go wrong.

Attachments

• PJ U7 Trailer 3.jpg
    PJ U7 Trailer 3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 205
  • PJ U7 Trailer 2.jpg
    PJ U7 Trailer 2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 269
   / Trailering B2650HSDC #3  
One other thing you want to be sure of is if the ramp can handle the weight of the tractor. Just because the trailer will haul the weight, that doesn't mean you can place all that weight on the trailer gate at one time as you are pulling on and off. A lot of folks I see with trailers, used for tractors, have slide-in ramps.... just a thought. :confused3:

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #4  
I would never haul a B or bigger sized tractor with FEL and maybe other implements on a single axle trailer except in an emergency. I'd sweat every foot of the trip. I asked around before buying my first trailer over 10 years ago and got lots of advise and then I called my BIL that has hauled tractors and heavy equipment all over for years and he advised double axle only because one tire flat or blowing out on a single axle can have you in deep dookey quickly and stranded in the middle of traffic at best. I've hauled a BX2650 FEL, non cab on my 16' double axle and it felt right and haul a L3901 on the same trailer and it seems at it's limit. My Gatormade has two 3500 lb axles and the trailer weighs about 1000 lbs so gives me 6000 lbs of hauling capacity. How much more for a dual axle and what is piece of mind worth to you? I also had to reinforce the gate on a previous trailer since loading the tractor bent it. :2cents:

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #5  
Truck $30K-$60K, tractor $20K-$30K, trailer $3K-$5K. The trailer is the cheapest part. Why risk loss or damage to the other two trying to save a little on the trailer. Get a sturdy 2 axle with ramps and brakes. Then you don't have to worry every time you haul somewhere.

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #6  
What they said and...........get at least a 16 footer.....not 14 footer.

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #7  
And taking a light duty (frame) trailer like that and replacing the 3500lb axle with a 5000lb axle does not make it a heavy duty trailer. Trailers are relatively inexpensive, buy a quality trailer now with room for future growth. You'll save $ in the long run.

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #8  
And taking a light duty (frame) trailer like that and replacing the 3500lb axle with a 5000lb axle does not make it a heavy duty trailer. Trailers are relatively inexpensive, buy a quality trailer now with room for future growth. You'll save $ in the long run.

I agree. I bought a 7000 pound capacity dual axle trailer for my little Kbota BX 25!

/ Trailering B2650HSDC #9  
I know your original inquiry was to see if someone out here has direct personal experience hauling a B2650HSDC on a single axle trailer, details to be confirmed. You will of course get a lot more in free advice... I may have a data point for you and then a few free of charge comments like the rest.

1) I use a Stage Coach brand 14' trailer to haul either of two B2150 tractors I have. One has liquid filled tires. One has a FEL. One has twin 6" spacers between the rear wheels. Bought the trailer new with heavier axle and wheels, etc. using a 5200 lb axle, 6 lug tires, etc. Your tractor is about 400lb heavier than mine but there is no realistic question that this trailer would be more than adequate for hauling a B2650. Comfortably. Features I really like about the StageCoach model I bought are: Small beavertail which results in a short ramp which results in super easy loading. Also for old men like me it means the ramp is MUCH lighter and easier to handle. Strong pipe type side rails. Nice tie down spots built in. Protected lights and protected wiring. Mesh sides that allow me to haul the wife's mulch without adding ugly plywood sides, etc.

2) All that said there are a lot of considerations and issues (including the ideas mentioned by others.) I'll list what I think matters for you.

-- Is this the only trailer you have in case you want to haul the tractor AND implements like a bush hog etc ?
-- What do you pull with ? Plenty of beef or is a small trailer better ?
-- You said "I do not plan to trailer the tractor often, maybe once every couple of years, the primary use of the trailer is other utility purposes." I think that says a lot about your application -- just being able to move the B2650 once in a while and MAINLY use the trailer for general purpose utility applications. That leans strongly toward the smaller trailer with a beefed up axle to be on the safe side. You have no real need for anything longer than 14 ft. You have no known need for anything with more load capacity.
-- Is this in the context of a country home with 3 acres, a small 50 acre farm with several implements around or a side issue in a big operation of some sort ?
-- You have to figure for yourself what is the best match for you of course but ...
- smaller trailers are easier to maneuver, esp. by hand. Also to store.
- Being a trailer with sides, make sure you have plenty of width for all cases (belly mowers for example tend to surprise people on width needed)
- You have no need for trailer brakes on that size machine or trailer. Unless you have much heavier things to haul that would be both extra expense and needless bother.
3) You pose a very interesting question about length and space to load the tractor to get the desired tongue weight -- I have found a surprising (and never explained by the manufacturers) difference among trailers in terms of where the axle or axles are placed relative to the long dimension of the trailer. Some have the axle/axles very far to the back and others more to the middle of the load bed. In my opinion you will have no trouble getting optimum tongue weight using a 14ft trailer. Your entire tractor is only 8' 5" long so it will be no problem to get the c.g. of the tractor well forward of the axle no matter whether the axle is mid-bed length or further back. Notice in the picture below of my trailer, it happens to have the axle more towards the rear rather than mid deck. That makes adjusting tongue weight quick/easy.

All those things thrown out there, it depends so much on your individual situation. I have yet to build a building that I didn't end up wishing it was bigger.
I suppose by now we have worse than overkilled your question. Good luck .

View attachment 545280